Go Bottom Go Bottom

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
marty1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-19          69114

Hello again,
I need a new toy..
Anyone have any web links or reccomendations on log splitters suitable for a B7800 (running off either PTO or tractor hydraulics)? I've see a few sites but am looking to see what a general feeling is regarding brand, etc.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-19          69126

Check out the Tractor Implements Forum.

There are several threads there. One of the most in depth is linked below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-19          69129

I have seen many people buy the tractor run units and then wish they had not. Why tie up a tractor engine and chassis when you can buy a 5 plus horsepower unit and still leave the tractor free to help move the wood? ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-19          69130

Marty, does your backhoe have a separate hydraulic pump? Do you have rear hydraulic ports? ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
marty1

2003-11-19          69132

My backhoe runs off the tractor hydraulics, I think I can leverage that plumbing. To answer Art, the cost is the biggest driver for me, and this is something that I would be using on a regular but infrequent basis (only when I got enought wood gathered to warrant having a splitting session) ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-21          69245

I just found a reasonably priced splitter that runs nicely off the power beyond hoses installed for my backhoe.

My hydraulic system produces 7.2 gpm at 2400 psi and it appears to be sufficient to run the splitter at a reasonable pace. Your Kubota produces around 10 gpm hydraulic flow and should work even better.

I debated the merits of the free standing unit: more speed, no extra wear on the tractor, the ability to take it into the field with the truck (not tethered to the tractor).

And then I looked at: added cost, added maintenance (another internal combustion engine sitting idle for a year at a time), and the problem of storing yet another wheeled device and I went ahead with the three point splitter.

In terms of tying up the tractor, it doesn't. The FEL still works to haul the split wood and the 365 pound weight of the splitter helps with the ballast.

For storage, we just unhook the hoses, stand it up, put it on a hand truck and lean it in a corner of the garage. It takes up about 1 square foot of floor space.

Yes, I know I am using a 24 horse diesel to run it instead of a 5 horse gas engine, but for my once a year or so usage that will work out better, I think. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-21          69246

Mark, have you tried out your new splitter yet? I am curious as to how well it works. Can you post some pics and give us your perceptions and findings when you put it to work? ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-21          69250

I have split a dozen pieces or so just to try it out....

I will try to post pics and further impressions but I will most likely be distracted for a couple of days when the new generator gets here next week. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-21          69255

New generator??????? Arrrgh, Arrrrgh, Arrrgghh!!!! Do tell! You have my attention peaked. What size and type? ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-21          69258

The 10kw official John Deere model.

I looked at it yesterday, it appears well made. We are waiting for a drive shaft. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-25          69642

Did you get the drive shaft and try out the genny yet? ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-25          69647

They called this afternoon. I will go tomorrow and fetch it home. Now I must find someone to install a transfer switch.

The log splitter is awesome. I split a cord + in about an hour. It is probably a bit slower than the free standing unit, but there is no lack of power. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
harvey

2003-11-26          69654

Mark What kind of a transfer switch system did you get?

I am fussing about one for the complete house or get one that has a seperate panel and just put the house wiring into that that I want for PTO use.

I am leaning very much in favor of the whole house concept. But have not ruled out back wiring and just turning off main breaker. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-26          69665

I went with an auxiliary 60A backup panel that most of the original house circuits went onto. Since the aux panel is in a different location requiring some branch circuits or installing junction boxes to splice on extra line is needed. Since I was installing a combination panel for a new service anyway it wasn't a problem. 200A transfer switches are expensive and my solution was cheaper. It probably wouldn't have been if I had to pay an electrician to rewire branch circuits. It's really not too difficult to take out permits, do the work yourself and get it inspected.

I'd be aware that codes most places require generator backup panels and transfer switches to have 3-point main breakers and devices to prevent the generator and utility breakers from being on at the same time. Even with correct wiring and the utility main off, without 3-point breakers repair linemen can get pretty good tingles if there are differences between the generator and utility ground potentials. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-26          69731

We have a 400 amp service to the house, and a 60 amp subpanel next to it that serves generator circuits. This works out really well - if we want to add or remove circuits from the generator subpanel it's fairly easy because the panels are next to each other. I should have got a 100 amp subpanel for the generator though. I did not know ahead of time that the electrical inspector would add up the peak load of each item powered by the generator and limit the number of circuits to the peak generator rating. That seemed nuts to me since the odds of everything cycling on at the same time are slim and none. They don't do this on the main panel so I didn't understand why they enforced this on the generator subpanel. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69733

Ken, ya should have rented a 60K genny for the day the inspector came out. ;-) ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-26          69737

Chief, I didn't think of that. The electrical inspector was an as*****. We have a built-in china hutch 10 feet from the kitchen island. Because it has the same counter material as our kitchen counters he said it was part of the kitchen and made us cut up the mirror and install electrical outlets that will never be used. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-26          69748

Harvey, I am still shopping for the transfer switch. Not sure what I will end up with. ....

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69751

Mark have you looked at the transfer switches Northern Tool has?

Log splitters for B7800

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-27          69764

Well, you can't win an argument with an inspector. I asked mine what he'd approve before I committed myself to a purchase. I think your inspector did some funny reasoning because service panels usually can be 'over-fused' to a percentage of the service but as I say arguments with inspectors can't be won even if you're right. Chief inspectors are the closest things we have to feudal lords (well there's CEO's) and they always back their inspectors. Well, I did win one once having to do with an interpretation of fixed loads. But I started with 'Here's why I did this and I have no problem redoing it if that's what you want' so it wasn't really an argument. Another time I redid a meter base because the 'codes made simple' book was wrong. Starting with the idea that the inspector is always right and 'just tell me what you want' generally gets you more liberal interpretations.

A 60A panel fed by a 22.5A peak generator through 10-garuge line was approved. The reasoning is that the generator main protects the generator and line, and a larger generator can't be connected without changing the plug on the feed line. Good enough for our codes, the inspector and me too. The downside of my setup is that I do have to manage the circuits on the generator panel when running on generator, and there is the possibility that I could run the generator for extended periods beyond it's duty cycle and never pop a breaker. You won't have that potential problem but it's sort of piece of philosophy whether it's my problem or the inspector is mandated under the codes to manage it on my behalf. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login