Go Bottom Go Bottom

New to Tractors with some question

View my Photos
VirtualKO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-02          67814

Thanks in advance to taking the time to respond...

My wife and I are starting a small horse farm (14 acres) and are in need of a tractor. I am in the computer field so am pretty ignorant regarding tractors. Wife has taught, trained and ridden horses for over 30 years. I have been reading the Farmer Journals and reports on tractors so I’m quickly as possible trying to get up to speed.

The farm is mostly in a flood plane so will spend some time with wet fields. The farm has existed for over 20 years as a horse farm.
What I will use the tractor for:
a. I will need to redo some of the fencing and will be installing 3-board post fencing so I may need a post digger. Once the fencing is in place I would no longer need the post digger so don’t know if it is worth purchasing this or renting it?
b. I will need a bush hog for the fields.
c. I will need a front-end loader (FEL? I think is what this is) for various work.
d. I would like a backhoe, a manure spreader and seeder.
e. I will be building a house on the property and will use this for landscaping as well.

I have been doing some research and believe I have some tractors in mind… I would like your thoughts and input on the following:

1. I have been looking at the 25-40 HP range. Is this a realistic range?
2. For you serious tractor users out there what should I watch out for when purchasing the tractor?
3. What are things I should look for? I notice that the HST feature is something people are raving about so I would look into that… are there other such items?
If so what?
4. New or Used? I have farmers that tell me to watch out for used lemon tractors… Do tractors have a higher rate of lemons then say cars? I am leaning towards the New due to financing options but would consider used. I understand that there are people that I could take the used tractor to for a thorough going over to ensure there is nothing seriously wrong with it…
5. Are there any good links you can point me to for further education?
6. I notice that prices for new tractors can range 4+ for the exact same model brand new. I have also noticed that some sites have priced the tractors without tires or other necessary items. How does Tractor Pricing work?
7. I am figuring on spending between 20k – 25k for the tractor. With the desired options listed above am I being realistic?

Hear are the tractors I am considering:
New Holland: TC33(D),TC35(D) and TC40(D).
John Deere: 4310, 4410, 4510, 790
Kubota: L3430, L3830, L4330 (HST)

Are there other tractors I should consider that would fit my needs and better fit my price points?

I have read through the 3 forums and it is kind of tough because everyone seems to love whatever they buy, be it JD, NH or Kubota.

Thanks for you input!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-02          67818

I have a 790 in similar circumstances and it is great. Price wise it should work, some of the other tractors may be pushing your 25K ceiling.

790 w, Ind tires, FEL, LX-5 Brushhog w/ slip clutch 14,900
JD 7 backhoe w/ subframe installed 6,000
Posthole digger and some augers 600-1000
boxblade for your landscaping 500
some type of new compact manure spreader around 1500-2500

Thet puts you right in the 24,000-25000 range with all you need to run the rach, you can go a little lower if you get thrifty with the implements. The prices I gave are the ones I've see for JD or good equivalents. I think if you want a hydro tractor 30k may be more realistic. For my "mini-horse farm" :) 790 is perfect though.

*if your going to only be brushhogging easy stuff like a pasture you could get an LX-6 and cut 6' at a time rather than 5', probbably only a few hundred more. Renting a posthole digger twice is going to cost just about the same as buying an inexpensive one. Suppose you could dig them w/ the hoe if you don't need that many done, otherwise it may get time consuming. As far as a seeded the lillte broadcast spreaders are pretty cheap. Another maybe better alternative is to see if your county has one. Where I like they have a beautiful unit that probably cost 10k + but can be rented for $20 an acre, it also can be pulled with a small tractor. It works off of one of your hydraulics. It scrapes a shallow little trench and puts the seed in and then covers it with soil. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-02          67825

I think F350 summed up the budget stuff fairly well. The 790 doesn't have an HST option, though, which you mentioned being interested in. If that's an issue the NH TC30 offers an HST option but I'm not sure if it has a backhoe available.

You really can't go wrong with tractors from any JD, NH, or Kubota tractor. They're all reliable machines and you'll find they each engender loyalty by their owners. It's best to shop, find a dealer you like, compare prices, test drive the tractors and find the ones that fit you well and have the features you want. It's important to understand that smaller tractors can generally do anything the bigger machines can do but it just takes longer.

For post hold digging you want to be sure a PHD will fit your machine and dig to the depth you want. Some of the small machines may not dig as deep as you need.

A big factor for me was dealer support. It's worth spending a little extra to deal with a good dealer who will be there to answer your questions and help you out when you need it.

Not sure if the 0% financing options are still in effect, but if so it may make good sense to buy new. Tractors don't really depreciate a lot unless they are abused or have excessively high hours. Figure maybe 8-10% the first year and maybe 5% each subsequent year. I looked at used and couldn't justify buying a tractor with no warranty and unknown history for the ~$2k I might have saved.

Good luck with your purchase, and be sure to enjoy the experience! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-02          67826

Would you think of the B-7800 Kubota? It will run a 5' hog and do everything else you need an not leave a deep foot print in softer soils. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-02          67828

Another option might be Kioti, if there's a dealer in your area. DK35Vince can elaborate on these. It's not one of the big 3 brands but there have been good reports from their owners and they are very economical. I didn't look at these because the nearest dealer is too far away. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-02          67832

VirtualKO, you are correct in your assessment of requiring 25 to 40 hp. I would further suggest that to be a minimum of 25 pto hp.

We can all give our opinions about different brand and model tractors. It looks like you have done a good bit of homework on which models & brands you have in mind. I think you need to take the time (and it may take a good bit) to demo these model/brand tractors you listed and make your evaluation of each and how they appeal to your liking and needs. Then come back with your questions based on your experiences with the models you demo'd.

Getting all the implements you listed for 20K - 25K may be more costly than you think; especially the backhoe. Unless you come across a used piece of equipment that has been very well cared for at an extraordinary price, I think you hit it right with going with new equipment taking advantage of the current incentives. (which also offer good tax breaks, IF you qualify)

I would also suggest you consider the John Deere 990. Both the 790 & 990 are VERY good value tractors for the dollar spent.

You are going to have to decide which transmission best suits you; a manual shift or hydrostatic, Kubota offers the GST (glide shift trans.). Will you have need for a mid pto? Folding ROPS seems to be fast becoming the industry standard but not in all cases. I would suggest the standard R-1 ag tires in your case but will you have need for turf or R-4 industial tires? (more or less multipurpose use) I strongly recommend you get 4WD no matter what brand tractor. Usually you can make your best deal when buying the tractor and implements all at once, along with parts and shop manuals. (finance it all at once to spread the payments out)

Ensure you ask about transport costs and responsibility during the warranty period. A sharp dealer will cover this for no charge; otherwise expect to pay around $1.50 per loaded mile or do it yourself.

I think you are very much on the right track so far; just need to do some demo's and narrow things down to the few you like best and stack the pro's and cons up. I think things will fall into perspective and place after you do this and we can answer the questions better you have at that point. Don't forget to take into consideration that perhaps your wife may want to use the tractor as well and this may have some impact on the feature, bells, & whistles you get. (i.e. hydrostatic drive, size of tractor, etc)

Good luck and look forward to hearing your observations and questions!

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-11-02          67833

I can try to elaborate Ken,
The Kioti 3054 would be comparable to the JD 790,NH tc 30 and Kubota L3000 in price,HP and capability, but only availible in with the syncro/shuttle transmission.
All these models are older plainer designs, but known to work and be reliable.(everything I've read about them)
The DK 35 is a more modern design,(also only availible with sycro/shuttle),many more standard features ,larger in size and lift capacities,but also more exspensive.
DK 35 with loader and R-4's are now around $18,000.
Kioti website link below.

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
plugger

2003-11-02          67835

Try to make sure you check out the KKubota MX 5000. I just bought one 3 months back and love it. It is a 50hp. work machine They call it a utility special. It will be able to perform all the jobs you will have for it, also make sure you get 4 wheel drive Good Luck ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-11-02          67840

I wanna know more, much more, about this fence you only have to build once.

I'm thinking I can make some money on this if it's true.

Every one else otherwise has pruty well covered it. Except I would buy a good quality PHD. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-11-02          67844

Hi VirtualKO, There are many others here much more knowledgeable than I about tractors, so I'll defer to them (and learn alongside you). I'm a hydrologist, so I'll just throw in a pitch or two about the importance of floodplains and how they work. Much to the chagrin of many who have built in floodplains, nature bats last, and she usually wins. King County (where Seattle is located) has actually started buying back floodplains because they realized it was too darn costly to continue paying people to rebuild their homes when flood damage occurred. Riprap is a popular, but loosing battle technique often used to attempt "control" of a river. Its' use often just moves problems downstream to the next landowner. Floodplains are essential for dissipating stream energy, contributing to nutrient cycling, and providing other benefits. However, life in the floodplain can be rough, depending on the size of the river. I apologize if I'm way off topic here, but I've seen many (new) property owners underestimate the power of rivers and the dynamics of floodplains, often with costly consequences. Feel free to email me (see my profile) if you have any questions. ....

View my Photos
VirtualKO

2003-11-02          67846

Thank you so much for the info. The pastures are in the 100 year flood plain where a good bit of the river has been diuverted and there is a dam upstream that takes most of the flow. We are building our house next to the FP but it is well out as is the barn. The pastures have been there a long time and don't have much history of a problem. If we do get flooded, we do have the opportunity to keep th horses in until the weather and nature are kinder! Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-02          67848

I see a lot of uses for a hydro over a gear transmission in the work brought up here in the initial post. The landscaping is one place to begin. The post hole digger is easier to keep aligned with a hydro. I also worry about low soil and a high weight tractor. I think for the diversity he should be looking at industrial tires unless he has a lot of clay. ....

View my Photos
VirtualKO

2003-11-02          67854

8)... Well the entire property is fenced with beautiful 3 board fencing! We want to install a riding arena and that will require the moving of a large section of fencing.

Now.. lol.. I realize that I will be repairing and what not but I don't mind digging one hole every few weeks by hand if it came to that seeming as I am sure the FOD (can I make up my own acronym?) will crack my budget cap of $25k.

but if I do figure out a way to create a self mending fence I will certainly share it with you! ....

View my Photos
VirtualKO

2003-11-02          67858

Man what GREAT input everyone has had! I REALLY appreciate all of it!

I think the next step is to head out to the dealers and begin the fun part of this whole affair... Tire Kicking!

Heading over to the Kioti web site to read up on these and find a dealer near me.

I am sure I'll have more questions after that.

Thanks Again! ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-02          67862

If your property is often very soft or muddy you may be better off with PTO driven manure spreaders than the ground driven models. I have consider the same for myself as the ground drivens reportedly don't do so well when the wheel skid over mud rather than turn and move the paddles.

My property is never too bad. The only real trouble is when the ground floods and them freezes solid. We actually do better with the horse being out because their hoof prints break up the ground and mud so it doesn't freze in a nice smooth and slippery rink :)

In Georgia this shouldn't be a big problem for you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login