Go Bottom Go Bottom

Position Control vs 1 4 inching valve

View my Photos
Gro_Kiwi
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-16          66352

Can anyone explain the difference between the position control of the B2410, B2710 or B2910 and the 1/4 inching control of the B7800?

On a 9N Ford, the 3 point has I belive position control. Is that correct?

Does the Kubota position control include a stop screw like the 9N?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-16          66376

You are right on both questions as to the stop and the 9n hitch. The 1/4inching valve gives you the ability to set your hitch at 1/4" intervals without looking just moving the lever! I think it is great to know exactly if you are moving 1/4 or 1/2" by a lever movement rather then to hit a bump and move it too far or worse yet go the wrong way! I think it's a great system. It is different than what you are used to no doubt but I feelyou would enjoy knowing and be confident as to what you are doing. ....

View my Photos
8NFord

2003-10-16          66377

Actually, the 9N Ford did not have position control, it was first offered on the 8N.
JD ....

View my Photos
CA_Farmer

2003-10-17          66398

Hmmm, , you sure. Many, many mooms ago, i drove a 3 speed Ford. I thought the 9N was the 3 speed and the 8N was the 4 speed. The tractor had a bar used to raise and lower the 3 point and a set screw to hold it at the desired level. Isn't that what is meant by position control? if not, what is position control? ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-17          66403

I've driven them in the past twenty years but I haven't used them to know that they were anything else, Help me out 8N! The old fords were frustrating to use as a layman because it was hard to get used to the fact of the PTO stopping as well as the hydraulic pump on some of the models. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-17          66414

Far as I know the 8N's were newer than the 9N's and they had 4 speed TX's. Don't know details of the hitch though and a quick look through my stuff doesn't tell me anything either.

I think two things distinguish a position control hitch. First is that the position of the quadrant lever determines the unloaded position of the hitch. Most have adjustable locking plates to mark the lowest position a hitch can go. They may float above that level but not below it. The second thing is a feedback mechanism so the hitch will go into lift mode if it leaks down below its position setting.

From CA's comment I assume the N's have the position part of it but I don't know it they had feedback. If they didn't, I'd probably still call them position control hitches to distinguish them from the other types mentioned. Far as I know those also float up and down under load but once they're changed there's no easy way to get them back to the same unloaded depth, which is important for people who lift plows to turn around. I hadn't heard of the 1/4" thing before (always learning something around here). Maybe the hitch can be returned to a position by counting clicks. ....

View my Photos
8NFord

2003-10-17          66417

I don't know much about Kubotas and am thankful for you guys help on my BX, but I have a concours quality 51 Ford 8N that I use and show. Here's the scoop on Ford position control:
All Ford tractors from 1939-1947 were 9N or 2N and had only Draft Control, which regulated the implement depth automatically according to the resistance the plow or blade sensed. The sensing element was a compression spring at the top link connection. The setting for the sensitivity to the force required to regulate height was set by the position of the Quadrant Lever.
In 1948 Ford introduced the 8N tractor which had a lever under the seat for selecting Position Control or Draft Control. In Position Control, the implement height is regulated exactly proportional to the position of the Quadrant Lever. That is, lever one third up equals implement one third up, etc. There is a friction clutch to hold lever where you set it. It will 1/4 inch if you want. The wing nut is available to return to a fixed setting, like when mowing.
Really a nice system, I wish my BX had the draft control, it makes anyone an expert grader. The more you work on these old tractors, the more you appreciate their simplicity, ruggedness, and engineering. Art is right, though, the hydraulic pump was driven off the pto drive, so no live pto until 1953. You learn to work around this.
Hope this helps,
JD ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-17          66420

Thanks for details about the N's. I had a vague recollection that Furgeson's original 3ph system was a draft control design and that it was earlier than position control designs. Guess it makes sense that the older 9's would be draft control.

I wish I could experiment with draft control for my box scraper work. I think it'd be just great for a lot of maintenance and finish work. It might not be so useful for operations like cutting high spots into low spots where the lift might be triggered just where I wanted the most cutting or when the box filled up. A hitch where the sensitivity could be fiddled with and also could be used in position control should work just dandy.

One downside of draft control is that they flop on the ground when the draft falls below a minimum unless it's in transport mode. Wouldn't make much difference to my box scraper work since I usually give my position control hitch a lot of float and control its action by adjusting the blade angle. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-17          66495

8N thats interesting as to the draft setting the depth. With the farm tractors of the 60's thru 80's they had a depth and draft and you set the depth while plowing with the draft control. That is on the ones that the draft control was sensitive enough to feel. The drafts ran from about 7% to about 20% for sensitivity during those years. Naturally the 20 percent units normally meant the wheels would spin before the draft would work. The depth wwould be bottomed out. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-17          66496

Tom, I used to have a little IH 424 to play with at home. I ran a 8' Arps backblade off the rear for my driveway work as well as grading where ever. For winter time I would lighten up the draft and it might just cut the lawn a little evrey now and then but for the most part it never touched it enough to cut it. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-18          66522

Yes that would be good. The guy who plowed a drive into to out camp last year scalped a bit of grass with his truck plow--him or his wife. Wasn't too bad but some draft control and it might not have happened.

I think that draft would be very interesting to me if I could set the sensitivity to trigger lift just before traction breaks. Otherwise it might lift over the bump I'm trying to cut down or dump a full box I'm trying to drag. Maybe I'll get to experiment one of these days.

It's interesting to me that we think of draft control today mostly as a way to make plowing easier but the original 3ph plus draft control design was intended more to make operations safer than easier. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login