Go Bottom Go Bottom

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
tinman12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-02          65337

Hello again,
I have just purchased a new L3830 with the la723 FEL. After put 20 hrs of play time on it, I still trying to figure out the level indicator rod. Could anyone tell me how this is suppose to help me? I new so looking at the rod doesn't tell me anything.
So far, its been an awesome little tractor.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-02          65338

Did your dealer paint a stripe on it? It's supposed to have a painted area on the tip of the rod - when the painted stripe is even with the top of the tube then the bucket is level. If yours doesn't have the stripe it's easy enough to do - just park the tractor on level ground, tilt the bucket until it's level, then paint the stripe flush with the outer tube. Some people just cut the rod off so it's flush with the end of the tube when the bucket is level. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-02          65339

Just to add on to Ken...... a cement slab is really nice to do this on. Make sure all four wheels are on the slab and rest the bucket on the slab in a level attitude.

There are several ways to calibrate the rod. As ken said, paint it or cut it flush, but you can also score it with a file or drill a small hole and fill the area cut or drilled with contrasting paint. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-02          65349

My bucket level indicator has about 6" of rod sticking out of the tube when the bucket is level. The dealer painted the portion sticking out bright John Deere Yellow. Works great. Ken and Mark nailed it. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-03          65369

WE've been doing paint stripes from both ways to give you a good idea as to how close you are. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-03          65384

I'll be odd man out here. I have a level indicator and never use it. Well, I really can't see it and maybe I'd get some use from it if I painted the stripe.

What I find is that knowing the bucket is level with respect to level ground doesn't do me much good since the tractor usually isn't operating on level ground. I depend on feel. I ease into something and the bucket either feels right or it doesn't. Besides, a level bucket isn't level if the lift height changes without self-levellign. I really don't know why I need an indicator but maybe I've been missing something and will learn a thing or two. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65426

I don't have enough experience yet to have developed a "feel" for the bucket. The indicator has been very useful for scooping when the bucket can't be seen. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-10-03          65437

In the beginning I didn't originally have a level indicator on my FEL, and since I had never operated one before, I kept leaning over the side to look at the bucket angle. About half the time I'd take enough pressure off the seat, that the engine would shut-off. So I installed the level indicator to help me through this learning period, ‘til I gained the experience and “feel” of the bucket (and to keep me in the seat). I never took the time to paint the tip, I just know that with the rod about 3” through the tube, it’s level. I find now that I only use it a fraction of the time than I did at first, (but I still look at it occasionally). ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-03          65446

Another good way to do it is to leave the rod a little long and just paint it one solid colour, then put the markings in the loader arm next to the rod.

If you do this, and then put a series of marks along the arm and identify them you can tell at aglance not only when the bucket is level but also when and how far the bucket is past level in both directions. This is particularly useful for tasks like shaping or back-dragging where you want to know the position of the bucket when it is NOT level also.

The benefit of this method is you can get an idea how far BELOW level it is, when scooping up material a slightly down-turned bucket is often more effective.

Best of luck. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-10-03          65498

What I have done to my FEL's, has been mentioned - plant the bucket on a hard level surface and cut the rod off at the same height/length as the top of the tube. I prefer this method over a paint mark or notch mark, as I do much loader work in the dark. As TomG pointed out, I believe we all feel our work after a period of time on the units, however as darkness falls upon us, a shadow will set on the tube/rod assembly rendering little visibility in the dark. By using the "cut the rod" method, this shadow that has developed by the headlights, is quite sufficient to accentuate the leveling process. (Yes...One could call me the "moonlight contractor", lol)

- Willie H. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-04          65516

I do remember standing up to see over the bucket the first year I had the tractor and more than a few bucket loads that were more like shovel loads. I would have been really unhappy if the tractor had one of those seat safety switches. Somewhere along the line I just stopped having to do that sort of thing. I guess now I know what the bucket angle is going to be on the ground when it's high enough for me to see and it doesn't feel right if I'm wrong.

Getting a feel comes to most everybody and it's important. The trouble with relying on an indicator is that different bucket angles work better with different soils and conditions can change a lot over the length of a cut. An indicator won't tell you what angle works best. I don't grade much with the loader since I got the hang of a box scraper but when I do I usually have the lift in float and I ride the bucket valve to keep the cut level as I go along. If the cut goes too deep, the loader and tractor jack-knife. If it goes too shallow the bucket comes out of the cut and just scoots along the surface. ....

level indicator on FEL

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-04          65522

A freind of mine's girl freind years ago painted his with her finger nail polish one day after he complained to me about his difficulty of using it and watching her sitting on the picnic table appling polish. It is still there in three stripes from the center to tell him if he is set to cut in or level or riding on the heel. I know this system worked for him as we just talked about it since this conversation started. By the way he's still got his bota, but she's gone. Personnally I get to use many different types of machines and find a hydro will talk to you as to how you are doing, a gear does to but often to late to change the shape of things enough. Some units are just easier to read and adjust to then others. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login