Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
ejkessler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-04          63233

I was wanting to know if anyone is aware of a 3ph posthole rig designed for bx22 size tractor that will dig more than 18" or so? When I enquired at the dealer where I purchased my rig he stated that the one Kubota made only went to 18".
I want to stay with either a 6" or 8" dia. for fencing and shed piers.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-04          63235

I used a regulation sized, cat 1 PHD made by/for Gearmore on my BX22.

I had no problems with that or any other Cat 1 implement on the BX. There was enough room(lift)to transport the PHD except when going up and down hills.

Call me strange, but I didn't care if the tip of an auger designed to drill holes in the earth dragged in the same dirt once in a while. ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-05          63245

A few augers only have one mounting position for the boom on the yoke. One of those might not work but most with the more standard 3 mounting positions should work fine. I seem to recall that Mark's auger works OK in the center mounting position on his BX.

I don't mind some dragging either and it also happens with my Ford. I do remind myself of the possibility when I'm backing up though. A little dragging shouldn't be a problem unless somebody is using a PHA in a cemetery for cremation remains. I know hoes on small tractors are used for graves, but I haven't though what's used for cremation urns. A PHA might work.

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-05          63251

I can only assume you are looking for more than 18" in depth not diameter. We have sold several makes that seem to work on the BX that go deeper. ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
ejkessler

2003-09-05          63275

I did mean depth and not diameter. I looked up your location and we're not to far from each other. Can you give me a price and info on the phd's you sell and contact info. I live in northern CT. I have a daughter and her family in Montgomery, NY. Otherwise the gearmore sounds like a good choice but the shipping from CA. would probably limit the practicality. ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-06          63279

A 12" auger on my 24hp tractor was about right for putting in 6x6 posts for a shed. The shed is elevated 2' and the posts are almost 5' deep. It's good to have a bit more diameter than needed so posts can be moved around to get them square and plumb.

I could have used holes even bigger than 12" for a cedar fence. Well, smaller holes should have done it had I made a better job of laying out and marking the post locations and maybe hadn't been so paticular about having straight fence lines. Maybe the real problem was that I figured I had so much extra space that I didn't have to be particular in stating the auger exactly where I had marked. I was doing it alone and you can't see where the auger point is on the ground without getting off the tractor. Oh well, shaving sides of post holds with a clam-shell digger is really a good time--especially when your wife is helping put up the fence and wonders why you can't just put posts in the holes and tamp them in. Fortunately I staked the corners for the 10x10 shed so I didn't have to fiddle with those holes.

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
ejkessler

2003-09-06          63314

A local farm supply dealer I spoke with today carrys a phd called a worksaver for 450.00 plus 75.00 for the auger. He said they have been selling them for fifteen years and have had a good track record with them. Has anyone heard of them and how well they perform and hold up? Eric ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-07          63316

I've never heard of Worksaver either, but I tend to go with what my dealer recommends. It's his buz to know what works and I figure he can do a better job of keeping track of what's available than I can.

If the dealer is well established, I wouldn't worry about never having heard of the brand. Dealers don't stay in business by recommending things that don't work out. However, in the case of catalogue store augers, I think I'd want to hear from somebody who owns one. I looked around a bit for mine and didn't recognize any of the names various dealers mentioned. I think many of them are manufactured by regional fabrication shops and aren't advertised nationally.

If you are interested in optional features like down-pressure kits, these may only be available from better known manufacturers. But you should ask yourself what you're getting for a higher price in a basic auger. Most of them likely use much the same OEM gear boxes, and I haven't heard of an auger frame failing. You might inquire about replacement bits for the Worksaver though. The output shaft should be standard enough so higher quality or other types of replacement bits can be purchased if necessary.

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
ejkessler

2003-09-08          63421

Tom and Mark, Just to get this straight, a standard 3ph phd cat1 will work on the bx as long as it has a three position mounting system. This will allow you to dig the standard 40 or so inch depth? Everytime I have called the manufacturer, (gearmore incl.), they said I needed to go with the down sized versions which only dig to about 30". I don't care about the tip dragging either for the reason Mark stated, I just want to be able to dig standard depth holes (40 to 42 inches if possible). Gearmore itself was not available to me because I live on the East coast, but they referred me to the manufacturer in Okla. who builds it for them. My dealer sells Landpride, but I was quoted a price of 890.00 for a 30"depth, 9" dia. rig. I got a reasonable price on the BX, but seems that his implement prices are pretty high comparatively. ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-09          63437

It might have been better if I said I got just over 4' than 'almost 5' depths but the distinction isn't too much. My Ford has more ground clearance than a BX so it should be able to dig deeper. Basically, you can keep digging until the 3ph lower link arms on the ground (at least most 3ph's go that low). Taller tractors can dig deeper since the fully raised link arms start off higher To get the depths I did I buried most of the gear box was in the holes. Manufacturers may not be adding that possibility to their speced depths. I probably could have gotten a few more inches by starting the hole and then changing the yoke to the lowest position. Of course, then the auger can't be gotten back out of the hole without changing it back. The limitation of having to use the upper yoke mount for transportation is that it reduces the digging depth.

I think that the lower ground clearances on a BX will reduce depths compared to what I can get with so maybe the manufacturers aren't too far off. I think Mark has used an auger on his BX and probably knows what is realistic better than I. One think to keep in mind is that you may be able to drag an auger tip on the ground but you have to be able to pick it up in order to start a hole. Another thing to keep in mind is that extensions are available for many augers. They'd be a pain to use though. I'm not sure if using an extension would cause the auger to bang the 3ph around any more than a standard shaft but an auger can really bang a hitch around.

As I recall, several dealers when I was looking said I could pick up an auger and mount it to see how much ground clearance I get and they'd take it back if there wasn't enough clearance.

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-09          63443

The BX with the Gearmore unit didn't drag all the time, just when transporting over rough ground, and up and down gullies. As I recall it had at least six inches of dangle room.

EJK, what kind of prices are you hearing? Maybe we can work something out. I find I don't use my PHD much since I got a backhoe. Shoot me an E-Mail. ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-12          63730

EJK the problem with PHD is that once you put your fence or shed up you rarely use them again. If you install fence for a living Thats a differant story. I had about 1500ft of board fence to put up so I went to TSC and bought thier PHD for $349.00 + $80.00 fo an auger. I punched several hundred holes with no problems and it should fit on your BX if other 3pt cat 1 PHD will fit. Good luck. ....

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
ksfarmboy

2003-09-15          63989

drcjv, how deep will the TSC PHD dig? I am considering getting one to dig 12" holes 36" deep with a JD 790. TSC will have the digger on sale for $299.99 (plus $109.99 for 12" auger)September 17-23rd (I saw an advance copy of the sale flyer in the store today).

Does anyone have any experience with PHDs and the JD 790? Specifically, how deep can it dig with the TSC or other inexpensive digger?

bx posthole digger

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-16          64029

KS I had no problem digging the full length of the auger which I think is about 36". ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login