Go Bottom Go Bottom

Question about Kubota HST operation

View my Photos
8NFord
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-10          59295

On the BX Series, does it hurt the tranny at all to ride around at less than full pedal on the transmission speed control. I mean is it like"slipping the clutch" when you are less than full pedal? This would not be good.
Thanks,
JD

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-07-10          59302

No,
Run the peddle where ever your power and speed are working best. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-10          59303

wolbert is absolutely right. You can inch along if you want or go full peddle, it's up to you.

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-10          59305

Geee......isnt Hydro fun you gear guys??? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-10          59311

Well..... being a gear guy, with my BX I have a tendency to just push the pedal to the floor and adjust my ground speed with the hand throttle.

It's a little quieter that way. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-11          59320

Most HST's are variable displacement hydraulic pumps that drive hydraulic motors (there are variations on the idea). The range section of a HST is usually a conventional sliding gear design.

The speed pedal controls the volume of oil pumped. Less oil turns the motor slower, which means slower ground speeds. Slow pedal positions also are the equivalent of lower gears since the engine has to turn over more revs for the tractor to cover a given distance. When an engine lugs, the speed pedal may be reduced rather than increased like a gas engine accelerator, which is the equivalent of gearing it down.

There are no slipping or partially engaged parts to wear when operating low seed pedal and 'inching along' is what HST's are good at.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-11          59325

Something that should be addressed is putting a high load on the the tractor at a low rpm. This is definitly a no-no! It wil cause damage to the hydro unit from oil starvation or cavatation depending on how you want to call it. This type action on a gear drive might also cause the engine to lug and an increase in the throttle and it goes away. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-11          59335

That is good info Art, thanks.
I usually run about 1/2 + throttle in low anyway. Hard to go much faster with rough ground and small wheels.

Kubota really needs to put a tach on this model. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-13          59448

For you guys that have a 3 range gear box on your HST it is possible to lug the engine by using low range #2 when your really need Low range #1. I know low range #1 is slower than slow , but it has the power you need when the going get tough and range 2 doesn't have the power to do the job. Going into a pile of dirt with the front loader IS NOT A JOB FOR RANGE #2!!! For some of you this won't make sense because you don't have a 3 range gear box, but for the guys that do it is REAL GOOD information. I hardly ever use Range 3 other than travel on the road at high speed on my B-2150. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-14          59452

Good points from Art and Jeff. Gear heads like myself can lug the engine and not do it any favours. People with HST can mess up both the engine and HST by lugging the engine. Well, I guess gear heads might not be doing clutches any favours using gears that are too high and rpm's that are too low.

I have four ranges and like Jeff I use 4th only when roading the tractor. Fourth range even in first gear at pro rpm is way too fast for any work I do other than getting down the highway. Gear do impose greater discipline than HST's because I can't infinitely vary ground speed in any range and I know better than to cut rpm in order to slow down. MY TX tes me I'm in the wrong gear before the engine lugs 'cause I'm going too fast.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-14          59454

Jeff if the soil is loose or if it's just a load of stone I do use medium range near full throttle. It gives outstanding feel of the the tractors traction and power. If it is tight then I use low range for the power. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-17          59657

I tried that Art many times in range 2....LOL.....it works but with me things happen so fast....mostly the load of dirt and stone go over the top of the bucket and the tires squeal on asphault. Speed kills....I like range #1 with 1900 rpm....low and slow for us conservative guys. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-17          59674

My problem is not lugging the drivetrain, it's fixing the terrain afterwards. I live in an ancient river delta which means I basically live on top of a 65' - 80' deep sand belt.

If I try to scoop anything even close to packed in middle range on my 4310HSTC I get 4 holes under my 4 R4 tires faster than you could believe.

So instead it's 'low and slow', just like I fly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-17          59679

Murf, I have the same problem on the sand dune I live on.

Even the skimpy little "bar-turfs" on the BX will dig holes up to the axles if I am not careful.

The only thing that works well for me are turfs, the wider the better, and ballast. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login