Go Bottom Go Bottom

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
botics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-03          56498

I have finally given in and know that I will purchase a Kubota Grand L Series. I have 1.5 acres here in Miami that I just bought and have 100+ in North Florida.

Looks like I am going with the 4630 so I can have the extra HP; going with the 853 loader and the BH90 which may be a mistake in Miami (coral); but I am also buying a bearcat chipper / shredder and a danuser rock auger.

I have looked at the B2910; BX22, and I keep coming back to the 3830 or 4630; the extra 1200 is worth going to the 4630.

What have you all heard about the Grand L4630? Thanks.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-03          56500

The 4630 is a good tractor but it is Kubota's attempt to make a John Deere 4710. I would suggest you test both out and go with the one you like best. Price will be pretty even here. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Foghorn

2003-06-05          56720

Am I missing something??? $1200 difference between a 2910 and a 4630..... ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
botics

2003-06-05          56729

no i think he meant between the grand l 4630 and one model down. I looked hard at the 2910, but not enough HP for me. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56782

Chief, I know you are relativly new to this industry but look out for glass houses. All of the Kubota products built are good and have some of the highest of resale prices in the industry. I wonder as to one tractor being the best for you. What are you going to do with the 100 acres that is related to the lawn where you live. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56806

Art, I never said Kubota was not a good tractor. They make damn good products. I base my opinions on the research and experience I gained dealing with the tractor manufacturers procurring equipment for the Army. John Deere was the only manufacturer that met our specs. and warranteed it in writing. As of late I have had engineers from New Holland contact me in reference to the DOD specs required to sell equipment to the military and the manuafacturers are working on changes. Kubota was not interested, even after I contacted their government sales rep. Were Kubota to meet DOD specs and warrantee it in writing, I would feel very confident in the quality and workmanship of the equipment as I have had very good experience with Kubota tractors. John Deere does not play around on the edge. If they warrantee something, it is because they have checked it out to be sure. I doubt they would stick their neck out like that to sell equipment.

As far as my experience in the industry........ my job prior to entering flight school in the Army was a mechanic with Mid Altantic Equipment in Fairfax, VA; at the time one of the largest John Deere dealers in the region. Take a look at what the Army predominantly purchases as far as equipment and I think you will learn something. Not all is John Deere, but a large percentage is and that percentage is growing. All the other manufacturers have the same access and opportunity to compete and sell equipment to DOD. The reason they have not is either they don't, can't, or refuse to meet specs. and are not competitive. For "normal" use most brands of equipment will do fine in most cases. When it comes to soldiers operating this equipment; well, these guys can tear up a solid iron ball with a balsa wood hammer. The equipment has to be built to take it and last. This carrys over to civilian use; it is built to last; from my experience, other manufactures have not been able to demonstrate that as well.

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-06          56856

Chief, we as a dealer have bid many different lines to NY state as well as many different Government agencies and have won some. There are lines that do very well in the bidding wars, and those that will never win a bid. Unfortunately my normal feelings is that those who give the most to achieve the bids also, most normally have the least invested in their product. I don't base manufacturers ability to win bids a bench mark to Quality but quite the opposite. The best lines I know of will never win a bid as there are lower priced machines that will do the job as well as win the bid. If it is a better quality machine then the cost would obviosly be higher, Who is payng for the bid? The consumer who buys there product from there local dealer? I have read of your past in other responses but you did say that Kubota copied JD for there latest 30 series and I find that far fetched and a loose statment. I grew up in this industry and other than a few years working for Uncle Sam have watched and been an active participant in it. As I said about Glass Houses it is best to beware. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56862

John Deere was not the lowest bidder, but they were able to meet and exceed the specification of the contract proposal. None of the other manufacturers were. It is an open and fair bidding process. State contract bids are not anywhere near the same as a DOD bid. The taxpayers are paying for the equipment. That is why the extensive research and comparison went into the purchase process. The Army wanted the best tractor for the money spent that met their needs. The bidding process is a VERY tightly controlled process that does not allow for personal preference. I witnessed how the other manufacturers behaved and actually objectively compared; we were willing to go with whomever had the best product. I can honestly say now that after my experience and dealings with all the manufacturers, that I have a preference and maybe even a bias toward John Deere; but then again, they earned it. I think the glass house comment is probably more "sour grapes" than anything else. I will have to say that Kubota's 30 series tractors are very impressive and appear to be closing and maybe even tieing up the gap between them and green. The military will be buying alot more tractors in the near future and I wish you the best in the bidding process. I think this series of Kubota's will be much more competitive. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
sph1951

2003-06-06          56997

I visited both a JD and Kubota dealer a few blocks apart while researching a tractor for 25 acres in southern Oregon.
I looked at the comparable JD and found it to be less sturdy appearing. Also I did not like the fact that JD does not make its own diesels. Nearly all of the orchards around here use orange, and that sealed the deal with my
Kubota 4330 with FEL. It is great so far and appears very well engineered. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-07          57008

Chief, as you said only one manufacturer met and exceeded the spec's! Who wrote them? We helped NY a number of years ago and we wrote the specs around our tractor.lol> I'm glad they were able to impress you so much. This process is not new, some times it takes money, sometimes it's just who you know, then it still might take money! Soon enough if you stay in sales with your dealership you might have the oppertunity to write the spec's for a bid at a nursing home or a school after you have spent the time for them to want your product. I'm sure with your enthusiasm towards your superior products you will do just fine! You haven't addressed the issue as you have said Kubota was copying JD, and that is what I refered to and I don't see it now, or have I seen it. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-07          57021

As far as one brand copying another, that happens everyday. Just look at Kioti, stealing Kubota's paint...LOL.

This is a question for Art:

I've heard Kubota builds their own tractors but in reality don't they actually build out of parts made by different manufacturers/vendors? I mean do they actually make every part that goes into a Kubota engine, tranny, rearend etc etc?

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-07          57023

Art, the Department of Defense wrote the specs. primary of which was the "Single Fuel For the Battlefield Concept" requiring ALL procurred equipment to function on JP-8. The rest were common sense such as self priming fuel systems and safety features. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-07          57032

The 4000 Ten Series tractor do indeed have Yanmar engines which are some of the primier engines in the world as far as reliability and length of service. Especially in the marine industry. Kuboto more so for generator and utility power plants. Both are great engines. The rest of the tractors are assembled in GA. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
botics

2003-06-07          57034

I dont know how we got on this JD vs. Kubota things. All I want to know is if anyone has seen or bought a Grand L 4630 and how do they like it?

I want enough HP to run a chipper/shredder; auger, and a lot of other items- the Kubota is my choice for tractor but I have not seen the 4630- has anyone?? ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-07          57050

botics -

WHEW ! Ask a simple question...

I do not have either, however I'll be damned if I'll ask this question in the future!

As far as I can see in the history books, there has always been two sides to every 'argument'. However, wouldn't the world be a better place if we ALL opened our eyes to appreciate where the other side's opinions were levied from.

I too have experience with DOD procurement processes, they are as Chief spoke out, very rigid guidelines that must be followed. But we are talking about a simple, I mean simple question here...let's all take a deep breath and smell the coffee, shall we?!
Can't get any where with blinders on!

Willie H. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.

2003-06-07          57063

Hey Willie, In "tractor talk" tangents are almost mandatory. Hang arond a feed store or grain silo for a while. Oh, and wear boots. Enjoy. Glenn ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-07          57065

Glenn-D -

Amen !

Willie H. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2003-06-08          57075

actually Willie, there are usually 3 sides to every argument....your side, my side and the truth!! LOL ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-08          57098

WillieH, relax, lighten up, and take a chill pill. Take that breath in reeeeeeeeeeeeal deeeeeeeep. Wax on.......... Wax off. <;o) Botics is gonna shop around and buy what he wants. Orange, green, purple with pink polka dots; I am sure he know what is the best buy for him and he will be happy with it. Good luck with the purchase and get out there start enjoying the tractor therapy. ;o) ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-08          57104

Billy, I can't think of a manufacturer that does build 100% of all parts and pieces. That was the way for many companies years ago. Today it is hard to tell who is building what part from one day to the next. I like hybrids, when you take two different types of designs and designers and put them together things only get better. Kubota is very diverse and owns many companies, just like Deere that builds many of there components used in there equipment. It would be very expensive to buy tooling and machinery to build all the different compononts of a tractor and do it consistant enough with a high degree of satisfaction. They do build a lot of the tractor from the drawing boards up and out. I relate to Kubota in tractors, as to Sony in electronics. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-08          57123

Chief -

You may want to review what YOU wrote to Art. I certainly was not outraged or irate as YOUR thread seemed to indicate YOU were, relative to the practices and guidelines that YOU were spouting off about. In fact, I was laughing, loudly, at your comments, as it showed just how far some individuals will go to make certain that everyone knows how mighty...how commanding...they are. I think they refer to that as being,hmmm, let me see...they call that insecurity.

Next time, before you put words to "keyboard", ponder your remarks abit...there are other view points on every subject matter...not just yours. Last I knew, the site did not require a battalion leader. Is that blatant enough ferya?

FYI, my breathing is just fine. KMA

Willie H.

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-08          57139

WillieH, grow up and act like an adult. Glad I was able to provide you with such a good loud laugh. ;o) Now stop your pouting and go sit down in the corner. Insecurity?????? Who wrote KMA????? Real intelligent and well thought out original reply. Try following your own advice. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-09          57156

Chief -

Kind of grasping at straws now, aren't you "Chief" ?

(BTW, the letters 'KMA', stand for proper name initials...
not what your remarks imply, however, as long as you read
it that way, knock yourself out!)

Willie H. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57166

A.......no........ it looks quite apparent to me that KMA stands for what it implies since you closed signing WillieH and you have not signed with KMA anywhere else. Seems to me, most people sign once. If you are going to behave like a child, at least have the decorum and spinal integrity to stand behind what you do and say. You are starting to sound like a former president (WJC). Those are his "proper name initials". <;o) ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-09          57189

Chief -
'KMA'-As mentioned, proper name abbreviations...Kara Marie Altens, significant other ! She was attesting to my breathing. Hence, her initials.

Relax abit, take a load off. Your tensed up from possibly working too hard! Perhaps reading way too much into all these threads from everybody.

As far as 'spinal integrity' and 'decorum to stand behind what I say and do'...I have in the past, I do presently, and will in the future, continue to be recognized for my technical support and product representation including 'si & d', internationally acknowledged and awarded.

Last I knew, this site was set up for technical / purchasing questions and answers, which is what I have addressed and commented on...not unfounded personal attacks!

You obviously have a misconception about me, I really could care less, one way or the other. However, without knowing me at all, or your willingness to accept that others may have a viewpoint on certain topics or understandings of situations other than your own, I do not believe that a personal attack is warranted.

I'm off the soapbox now; and I'm sure you'll disagree too!

Willie H. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57197

Wow! WillieH, you may have broken a few ribs beating on your chest like that. Need to work on that persoal insecurity and ego things buddy. ;o)

"Last I knew, this site was set up for technical / purchasing questions and answers, which is what I have addressed and commented on...not unfounded personal attacks!"

EXACTLY right, using your own words. So do all of us a favor and cut the personal attacks out and behave like an mature adult.

I have NO misconceptions about you, be sure on that. LOL!

Don't have the slightest problem with other people's views and contributions, in fact I welcome them and learn quite a bit from them.

Some how your ego has been bruised here and your response is personal attack and belittle "attempts". I strongly suggest you and I get back to the subject matter at hand...... TRACTORS........remember those. ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
botics

2003-06-09          57198

Thanks! Thanks for answering my question- you all really helped me.

Again- anyone own or buy a Kubota Grand L 4630 or 5030? ....

Getting Ready To Buy

View my Photos
KRAZFM

2004-03-28          81370

Botics,

I have been researching both the 4630 and the 5030 for about a month and have decided on the 5030. Presently own a JD 950 and have had too many problems with things that were just poorley thought out. Most of the ranchers and neighbors around me are now using the Kubotas and I am finally a believer. The local dealership is asking $1,500 more for the 5030 than the 4630 so it seems like a small investment for a piece of equipment I plan to own for a very long time. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login