Go Bottom Go Bottom

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-01          56162

I was going in and out of the run-in shed removing manure. On the last scoop while backing out, the rear wheels went over a hump of manure and the ROPS hit the I-beam header over the opening. After thanking God that I didn't bring the roof down on myself, I realized that I bent the ROPS forward quite a bit. So much so that the bottom of it will have to be replaced if thats even possible. I feel like such a fool and to many of you admitting this act of carelessness proves that I am. To those of you other novice tractor owners please be mindfull of this. Although it's looks like it might cost me quite a bit to fix,I feel lucky I was not hurt,foolish but lucky. Does anyone out there know what this act of utter foolishness might cost to fix.(bottom of ROPS bent forward on BX22)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-01          56167

Homedad, I wouldn't do this for just anyone.

Check out picture #1. I didn't break the tractor but I didn't do the garage any favors either.

I did it three separate times before I learned to fold the damn ROPS. I feel your pain. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-01          56170

Don't feel like your alone when it comes to _______ing up. ;o) Been there done that to the wood deck over my basement garage. My second award in the "Man of Steel" club. I got the rust stains in my drawers to prove it too! Luckily the only damage was a small chip in the floor joist of the wood deck. I have dinged the garage door metal edge 3 times so far with the bucket. In each of these instances I was moving at barely a creep and thought I had eye balls on everything. Then I heard the huge bang of the joinst popping over the ROPS and saw the nick in the garage frame. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-01          56176

Thanks you guys, Misery loves company. My wife keeps saying, " Stop kicking yourself be glad your not hurt and just get it fixed ". She is a superior women with a much higher tolerance for stupidity than I have. Nevertheless, it must be fixed with this much of a bend it can't be safe anymore. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-01          56177

If the rop bent that bad hitting wood it really makes you wonder how well they will hold up in an overturn.I've wondered that about my 790. hope I never find out. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56185

Go to Kubota's web site and navigate to the ROPS program link. They may give you a discounted price on a new ROPS. I did this with my L245 and got a new Kubota ROPS for half the price. Oh, and trust me on this......ROPS are a ROYAL pain in the arse to install. At least it was on the L245. ....

Link:   ROPS Link

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-01          56192

Bet you will never again question how much traction and torque that little sucker develops. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-01          56215

Well Mark, I was in 4wheel drive and getting a little cocky as I was in and out so many times. So when I felt the back going up a little I just goosed the pedal and was out of the shed. Believe me it did't take much. Tiny but mighty, not a good idea to under estimate this tractor. If the ROPS would not have bent I might be in bad shape right now or worse.
When it's fixed I think I'll put some curb feelers on it to warn me when I'm close. You remember those curb feelers that go on cars so that you know when you are close to the curb when parking, so you don't wreck your tire sidewalls. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-01          56219

homedad5acre -

Oh the tales that we all could tell - you're certainly not alone by any stretch!

As far as the cost to repair, Orange had a program, a safety prgram in place for the ROPS systems a while back. I took advantage of this on one of my older units. I paid about $150 for the entire kit through this program. Outside of the program from orange, the same kit was about $500.

I do not know what this would cost you for your BX22, as this comes through with the ROPS already installed. Check with your orange dealer, then disassemble the existing ROPS from your tractor.(in either event you'll have to remove the old to install the new) Then, take unit to either your dealer, or rather a reputable fab shop to have straightened. Then just reinstall.

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-01          56222

Willie, The angle at which the ROPS sits back when new, it's now bent forward approximately that same angle maybe a bit more. It's nasty and I am concerned that straightening it might soften the metal to the point of uselessness. I am hoping that I can just buy the bottom part below the fold. $500. is going to hurt. Thanks ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-01          56225

homedad5acre -
OUCH! Any chance that you could have the fab shop bend it back and then reinforce stronger than new, with plates?

The $500 figure is purely a guesstimate...chances are it's gonna be more. I would guess also, that being as new as it is, you would want to keep as original as possible for warranty reasons also, yes / no?

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-02          56407

I got a price on a new ROPS today from the dealer $208. plus shipping. That's not bad at all. You must buy the whole thing they don't sell the halves separately. I think I'll give the dealer another chance and let them install it.(I was a bit rough on them at first but no point in making an enemy of them) It's at 45hrs so they might as well do the 50hr service too. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-02          56409

homedad5acre -

Geezo, that doesn't sound bad at all. Maybe they mispriced them! Good idea...taking advantage of the time period for the oil changes, as well as taking care of the ROPS damage that your neighbor did, right? That is what you told the dealer, isn't it? (yuk, yuk)

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-06-02          56410

YEP..we have ALL "been there and done that" ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-02          56414

Funny you said that, because what I was even more embarassed to admit is that it was my nieghbors run-in shed. I was helping him out and for payment I wanted the manure for my gardens. Looks like I got more sh-t than I bargained for. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-02          56417

homedad5acre -

Isn't it always when the 'sheet' hits the fan...when your helping someone out! Amen to that!

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-03          56440

Right again willie, the message for price on the ROPS was on my answering machine and sounded like $208 but after talking to him it's $280. plus shipping. And the way I understand it there is a section under the fenders to the frame that is all part of it. Need it or not you have to buy it all. Well still not so bad. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-03          56444

Gives a new meaning to bringing the house down.

I suppose by the time I repair the damage I did to my garage it will cost at least $100

I wish Kubota would resize that ROPS. If it was 2 inches shorter it would fit under a standard seven foot garage door and there would still be plenty of room underneath it to operate the backhoe. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-03          56455

Years ago, I found myself not so much getting caught with the ROPS on my B's, rather when using the backhoe, I kept bashing in my skull on the top bar of the ROPS. At the time, orange had an optional ROPS kit that once installed inplace of the standard ROPS, afforded the user an additional 10 inches of operating height for the head.

The only problem...if you think the present day ROPS are tall, man you should tried putting one of these babies away for the night. I did not have this tall ROPS set myself, however, the nightmares that surfaced were very understandable.

What I ended up doing, keep in mind this is back sixteen years now, and out of warranty, was to cut the ROPS down at the vertical base bars. Then I welded inside a slightly smaller square tube as a stud that protruded upwards about six inches. Horizontally bored a 3/4 inch hole completely through the two assemblies on tractor frame as well as the slide over area of the now cut off ROPS, to accomodate a couple of 3/4 inch grade 8 bolts. Lock them together, and I have ROPS when I need them or no ROPS when I don't need them. 1-2-3 easy removal and installation!

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
flyboy

2003-06-04          56580

Well guys as new owner of a B2910, I'll fess up and say I have done this not once but twice now. I keep catching the header on the garage door.

Bill ....

Link:   B2910

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-04          56585

I like the matching gloves. Nice touch. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-04          56597

Wish I could figure out how to get a picture on here. I only first got this computer last september never having used one before I don't no all the terms used in most explainations. I am sure you would be amazed at how bent this ROPS is. Probably get a good chuckle too. I don't have a digital camera but my printer has a scanner. I'll keep trying. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56600

I feel that the ROPS should not have bent that easily. I would suggest bring this issue up to the Kubota Rep and see if they will replace it for you or offer you a discounted price. If the ROPS bent just from hanging up on a beam, makes me wonder how it would stand up in an actual roll over? ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Murf

2003-06-04          56607

€hieƒ™, the factor you are missing in all this pondering about bent a ROPS system is not that it bent, but the conditions under which it did bend.

Let me explain what I mean a little clearer. If you roll a machine (God forbid) then they only weight on the ROPS is the dead weight of the machine itself (as equipped) and the operator, plus maybe a little for momentum, etc. But basically, JUST the machine's own weight. If you strike an object while the tractor is rolling along on it's wheels, especially a relatively immovable object like an overhead portion of a building (door frame in this case) then you have a LOT more force on the structure and in different directions at work.

Without being too technical about it, either the door frame gives or the ROPS bends, usually it's the ROPS that looses the arguement. But in the event of a rollover the machine is NOT stuck between a rock and a hard place, or in this case, the door frame and the earth, neither of which has much give compared to the ROPS.

Best of luck. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-04          56616

Let me try to put this into perspective. We have a term here in PA. that refers to something that is built to last and usually with what ever is available that is " built pennsylvania dutch style". Well this run-in shed falls into that catagory. The front consist of three metal columns cemented into the ground, that are bolted and welded to a metal I-beam header. The opening is between two of these columns. They are packed out in wood to attach the wooden roof joist and the whole thing is sheathed with rough sawn barnboards. So you see the header is about 10" thick not 3 1/2" like that of a standard wooden header. I also caught the ROPS on the last 1/2" putting maximum leverage at the point of the bend. It was the power not the weight of the tractor that bent it. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-04          56626

I see it as wedging the tractor under the building, adding tons of pressure to the tires, so much so that the added traction would not allow the wheels to slip.

So the added traction combined with the engine torque multiplied by the low range gear selection produced enough power to bend the ROPS.

Change anything in the equation and you get a different result.

If it had been in high gear I think the engine stalls before the ROPS begins to bend.

If the tractor does not get wedged in the door frame, and instead had just hit an obstacle with the ROPS, there is not enough added traction to bend metal and instead the wheels slip.

I'll say it again: Bet you will never again question how much traction and torque that little sucker develops.

If you could add enough weight and get the necessary traction, this and other small tractors produce enough power to twist themselves into pretzels.

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-07          57051

homedad5acre -

If memory serves me correctly, as it does every now and then, your original post was that the ROPS bent towards you from behind. It truly is amazing just how much power is mustered with these compacts, and larger for that matter.

If you thought this incident was one you'll never forget, imagine if you had caught the door frame heading forward -
Now that would have been a true 'PANTS CHANGING' experience, if one would have lived through it without being flipped over and crushed into said framing!

Fortunate for you, your still around to talk about it!

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-07          57052

At the hospital I worked at, I once seen a guy mowing around a tree it was not that big of a tractor, a gravely I think, but it had a canopy still on it from snow removal, well it caught a low tree branch and flipped on it's back. When we got to him he was holding the steering wheel looking straight up at the sky, he looked in shock as if he could not understand what happened. He was ok and so was the tractor ,the canopy wasn't on the next day.

Had I been going forward I'm sure I'd of brought the front up. I did have my tiller on at the time, but they can still back flip. When my new ROPS goes on I'm going to get in the habit of folding it. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-07          57053

homedad5acre -

Relative to the environment of your use, I think that would be a good idea...at the very least, certainly cheaper on the pocket book!

Willie H. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-26          58372

Still waiting for my ROPS to come in. Sure does seem like it's taking a long time. I might try to staighten it with the backhoe till it comes in.

I could no longer wait to do the 50hr service the engine oil was getting real black so with 56hrs on the ticker I change it myself.

I had to get shear pins for the tiller anyway so I picked up everything I needed for the 50hr service. The dealer had everything I needed and the parts guy was quite helpful. A+ they are starting to win me over.

Here are there prices:
shear pins:5 pack $2.00
engine oil filter:$6.10
hydraulic oil filter:$13.70
2 1/2 gallon jug super UDT:$32.75
kubota 15w40 gallon:$8.34
missing seat bolt:n/c

It finally stop raining here so I'm sure she'll be at 100hrs in no time at all. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-07-04          58807

Got a call tuesday my ROPS was in. so wednesday drove down only to find that they ordered the wrong one. so the wait begins again. oh and now my seat belt doesn't pull out so ordered a new one of those. Hope the belt comes in soon don't like using the tractor without it.

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-04          58818

If you end up installing the ROPS yourself, some of them have a torque spec and tightening sequence. A few years back there was story from somebody who said they'd cracked an axle housing while tightening their ROPS. I forget which tractor it was though. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-04          58875

I have an Orange roof on my ROPS bar. and it has many chunks missing hitting low tree branches, so I get a warning before it goes BOOM,,,,,when I replace it I am going to make a new roof out of 1/8 metal. I can just imagins what Kubota want for a new plastic roof. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-05          58886

Jeffer, I drove a 4115 with one of those fiberglass sun shades the other day and it was LOUD. Way louder sitting in the seat than standing next to the tractor.

Noticed a similar thing wearing a western hat and running one of the tractors the other day, but that was irritating. The fiberglass shade was painful on the ears. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-05          58900

Mark,

The reason why it's louder is that the sound is reflected off the underside of the roof but it sure does shield you from the sun don't it?

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-05          58901

Glad to hear that mark, I was about ready to make one for the 790 out of a cowl inducted GM hood (the raised section). thought it would look stream line and slick. but don't need no hearing problems in the future. THANKS ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-05          58903

Plots,

It's not that much louder......when I'm running the backhoe for a long period of time, I just slap on my pair or shooting earmuffs and it's no big deal. Most of the time I don't even bother. The sun and heat protection far outweigh any increase in sound. I guess if you really wanted to decrease the sound a guy could reroute the muffler under the tractor instead of straight up like most of them have. Some tractors have horizontal muffler systems as an option as My B-2150 did. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-05          58905

You could probably line the underside with some of that egg crate acoustic foam. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-05          58907

Staying out of the sun would be great and like you said I guess muffs could be wore. I'f some of the more saftey wise see this there probley going to say they should be wore either way.a little cuttin of fiberglass a few brackets for rops a little JD green with a yellow stripe on cowl section and I might be sportin? Once I start that i'll be lookin for a way to rigg AC to the unit. LOL ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-05          58915

Get one of those ball caps with a fan built into the bill. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-07          59015

Just a couple of notes, a roll bar should never be drilled, or welded to as it would deam it unsafe by OSHA. They are that close to tolerance of there job they are meant for just one roll. not all day long. On the noise we used to fill some with sand to keep the noise from the drivetrain from transfering up and back at you. Helped with traction some but biggest thing was the noise. These were non-folding rops. Some of the newer rules from some of the credit companies that we use to finance used tractors say no rollbars, no money! ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-07          59021

Sand in the ROPS is a great idea unless it's something else that voids insurance or warrenties. From my sound buz and musician days I know that foam only absorbs fairly high frequencies. It takes mass to absorb lower ones. Practice studio walls are sometimes filled with sand if floors will carry the weight.

Somewhere in an old post I described measuring sound levels at pto rpm from the operator's seat under my steel canopy. I think the various bands ranged from around 85db to 95db. These are high enough levels to start causing damage after about a half-hour.

The favourate words of many farmers are 'huh' and 'what.' I got my huhs and whats from the music buz and I learned to use hearing protection before I got my tractor. I still use it. Dang, guess I have to take off the canopy to fill the ROPS with sand.

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-07          59023

Two quick observations here folks.

One, if you fill ANYTHING with sand be sure the sand is going to stay bone dry, if it is able to absorb moisture it WILL, and then hold it forever, and I don't think a rusted out ROPS would do anybody any good.

Second, we use contact cement and and carpeting on the underside of cabs and canopies, not only does it make them much quieter (and add insulation to cabs), it sure makes the odd knock on the noggin from an unexpected bump or pothole less painfull.

Best of luck. ....

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-08          59102

Good points from Murf. I also realized that the added weight would be up high and might affect stability a bit. All in all it still seems like a pretty good way to reduce sound levels.

I was wondering if carpet would collect all sorts of dirt and debris unless it's inside a cab.

novice learns a lesson

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-08          59103

Tom, we have used carpeting and in areas that have high moisture and a problem with collection of debris we use spray undercoating to protect hydraulic lines from rust as well as the noise. The sand we put in areas that had no problems with moisture. It was a thought when we started with them and I can't say we did to many but it did help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login