Go Bottom Go Bottom

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-28          55815

50 hour service time is here for my BX22. I stopped at the local K dealer and they told me they do not stock Super UDT and the regular UDT is fine. I walked out feeling kinda dopey but now I'm doing some serious wondering if it is OK. Anyone want to share thoughts or experience before I pull the plug? No pun intended.
Glenn

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-28          55822

Get the Super UDT. You don't change the fluid that often. It is a better grade of lubricant. Will you do alright with the Walmart or Kmart lube, sure. Why spend that much on a tractor and cut corners on the maintenance in order to save a few bucks? Maybe $20 or so? Bottom line is?????? Use what the manual calls for and you will always be right and your warranty will not be in question. Your call, just my 2 cents worth. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-28          55824

I was under the impression the BX series required the super UDT due to excessive heat buildup. I know my 2910 does not, but when the dealer tried to sell me the standard fluid as called for by the owner's manual, I bought the super anyway. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-05-28          55828

Chief, Cutter,
I did get a jug of regular UDT while at the dealer. Your right Chief, don't be a cheapo with the oil. I just didn't know how compatable it was with the BX. I can understand the cooling aspect of the fluid too Cutter. I don't think there is any real heat exchanger except for that little fan in front of the trans. I think I'll take the UDT back and tell 'em to get me the Super. Thanks for your thoughts.
Glenn ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
delvinmuglas

2003-05-29          55931

Good call. As long as the tractor is under warranty I would use the super UDT. I'm just coming upon my 50 hour service and purchased a 2 1/2 gal jug of Super UDT yesterday. Super price they have. Cost me $39.00 plus tax. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-31          56110

FACT,,if you have a warrantee issue and UDT is NOT in that tractor Kubota will NOT honor the warrantee,,FACT,been there done that!!!!!!!!!YOU have to use the oils of the Manf,of course it will depend on the cost of the warrantee,,some may let it slide,, ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-31          56116

My bx22 manual states super UDT fluid. I think it's "kinda dopey" that the K dealer doesn't have the fluid required for a tractor they sell and service. Why? Might be a good question for them. Good luck. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-01          56143

The Kubota dealer 4 miles from the house stocks and uses only Deere fluids. The Kubota dealer 45 miles away stocks/sells/uses only Case fluids.

I have to travel 120 miles to find a Kubota dealer that actually uses and stocks Kubota fluids.

That is why I gave up and went two miles to the Chevron distributor and got their full synthetic hydro fluid. It meets Super UDT specs (as does Amsoil) and the Chevron stuff is even the same orange color. I suspect that is where it comes from anyway.

Maybe one of our dealers can shed some light on this for us. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-01          56220

Mark, orange color? Is Kubota super UDT fluid orange? My BX22 has clear UDT in it. As you know it's new and hasn't been changed yet. The clear sucks because it's so hard to see on the dip stick. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-02          56255

Yes, but you have to look through a couple inches of it to see the color. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-02          56256

Maybe I had better back up here. I have never bought Super UDT but someone told me it had an orange tint to it so you could tell what was in the tranny without further testing.

Maybe someone who has a jug of Super UDT can confirm this. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-06-04          56598

Ok, now I'm really mad !!!. 5 dealers later and not one has Super UDT on the shelf. So now I wait for "special order" while my machine sits with 50 hours on the clock so I don't screw up the waranty. I would think that to be a Kubota dealer the dealer would be required to carry a compliment of consumables for the products it represents. I'm a pretty laid back person but this has me foaming at the mouth. I will study other brands of tractors more closely before my next purchase.
Glenn ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-04          56606

Mine is going in for service soon I guess I should make sure they have it. If I were you I would contact the people at the Kubota web site, I had to for a problem I have with the ROPS(my fault). They got back to me the next day via E-mail. Turn and burn those dealers and make Kubota aware of your dissatisfaction give them hell I would and will if I can't get it. Service like this is unacceptable for what we are paying for these tractors. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
cutter

2003-06-04          56639

I would not worry about going over the hours a bit if you need to use the machine. Ten one way or the other is not going to make much difference. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56641

I am more or less going through the same thing. Waiting for a transmission suction screen gasket. Did not want to take a chance on loosing 7 gallons of Hy Gard so I will wait for the gasket. A few hours one way or the other won't make a difference. I called the dealer to confirm this since they did not have the gasket in stock. They said not to worry and keep on using the tractor. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-06-05          56727

Haha... got my Super UDT today. 87 miles one way for a 5 gallon pail. Picked up 12 - 12 oz cans for myself too. Ok, I'm happy again. Many thanks for your support. Glenn ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-05          56730

Glenn, thats a long way to go for your orange juice. Called my dealer today and they stock it thank goodness. They only sell kubota's maybe thats why. Although at first I was not to happy with them, they just won a point. After they change my ROPS and do my 50hrs service I may have to back up on some earier statements about them. Good luck. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-05          56732

Oh and Glenn maybe you could answer the earlier question on color. Is K super UDT orange in color? ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-06-05          56735

Not really. It has tint that is a bit yellowish but pretty clear. It is also runny like water. It is thin stuff. My guess is that is is syntheric. Glenn ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
bubba31128

2003-06-05          56749

As a registered Kubota Dealer we were informed by the Kubota service people that we needed the UDT for use in our tractors since the cold weather. I do not recall them saying much about the heat. I realize i'm opening myself up to be flamed as to why I don't know everything about Kubota oils! However we have noticed that most people who spend the kind of money on these compact tractors are of the mind set where a few dollars for the right kind of oil is ok for them. We as dealers aren't sometimes used to this as we are often times used to the ? "Can i use used oil in my hydrostatic reservoir?" ;-) Good Luck ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56794

Not at all Bubba, dealer input is more than welcome here. It is always of value to get the dealer perspective on issues and information with our equipment. Especially service school information and technical bulletins effecting our equipment. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56916

It would seem to me that you can look up Super UDT's MSDS information and find out the manufacturer. Then you could buy it directly from them. Chevron makes most of the lube products for John Deere. As long as the oil meets the specs. layed out by Kubota you are within the requirements of the warranty. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-07          87952

Just to follow up on this discussion; I finally got the MSDS sheets for UDT and Super UDT in the mail today. Both are made by Valvoline. Not sure if that makes any difference but if anyone has any questions about the info. on the MSDS sheets; just give me a holler. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-07          87955

I've got a couple of questions. What are the obvious differences between Super UDT and UDT on the MSDS sheets? Also, how does Super UDT differ from JD Hy-Gard? I'm not asking much am I? LOL ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-07          87967

Ken, the MSDS sheets don't really have much useful info. other than viscosity indexes which are very similiar between the 2 brands and flash points. I did however find this info. Not sure if you all have already seen it or not. Valvoline is a susidiary of Ashland Oil and nothing came up for UDT under their MSDS site or the product data info. site either. ....

Link:   Kubota Super UDT Fluid

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-07          87968

Thanks, Chief. I've seen that TractorSmart blurb but it really doesn't help much when trying to compare Super UDT to Hy-Gard. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-07          87970

I have sent another email off to Kubota asking for the product data sheets or .pdf files on UDT and Super UDT. Might take a while to get them although; they were pretty fast with the MSDS sheets. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-07          88001

Chief: can you give us the viscosity numbers you have? ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-07          88003

Mark,

That MSDS sheets they sent me show two different viscosities for the UDT. I am thinking perhaps they may have made a typo and one is for Super UDT.

Viscosity
<6800. cps at -25 C
9.1 - 10.0 cst at 100 C
Flash Point
400.0 F (204.4 C) COC

Viscosity <= 3300.0 cps at -15 C
14.5 - 15.5 cst at 100 C
Flash Point
>425 F (218.3 C) COC

This data was labeled UDT for both. The Super UDT sheet did not have any data on it.

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-08          88038

Boy they are stingy with the info. They didn't give you- cSt at 40 C or Viscosity Index?

Hy-Gard:
Viscosity at 100°C................. 9.4 cSt

Chevron All Weather:
Viscosity at 100°C................. 9.5 cSt

9.1 - 10.0 cst at 100 C sounds like it is the Super UDT,

14.5 - 15.5 cst at 100 C sounds like UDT.

15.5 is actually a high viscosity rating for that temperature.

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-08          88040

Hopefully the product data sheets I requested will have more detailed info. I will post them, when I get them. I also made a suggestion to Kubota to post this info. on their website. Not that my 1.5 cents worth of suggestion will register with them but you never know. ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Wrangler2k

2004-06-08          88085

This debate does not make any sense to me.

The Kubota manual for my BX23 clearly indicates on pages 60 and 61 Kubota Super UDT fluid.

I invested $14,900 to buy this machine. I want it to last throughout my lifetime. Why should I now want to save a few dollars on a cheaper, non-specifed lubricant?

You need to replace the fluid every 300 hours on my BX23. About $70 at the current price from my dealer. That is pocket change compared to my initial investment.

For those of you that accepted your Kobota's delivered without the factory specified lubricants, I would demand in writing that those lubricants are superior to what Kubota specifies and that they will honor the warranty even though they delivered the machine out of spec. If your machine fails during the warranty period without the specified lubricants, Kubota has no liability. It will be up to you to force the dealer to pay the cost.

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-08          88093

Well.... here's my slant.

I have a Kubota and a Deere. I have to drive 130 miles one way to get UDT and 60 miles one way to get Hy-Gard.

I can get Chevron THF two miles away. It sure would be nice to have one source of fuel (done), one brand of engine oil (Rotella goes in ALL engines, gas and diesel) AND one bucket of hydraulic fluid to service both machines.

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-08          88094

Makes sense to me Mark. ;o) I would be doing the same thing you are doing were I in your shoes. Only I would have two Deeres. (just kidding!!!) Couldn't resist. ;o) ....

UDT vs Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-08          88099

I do like my 4115..... but Kubota's RTV is miles ahead of Deere's Gator. Miles. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login