Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55555

Hi,

This is my forst post but I have done some reading here and on other forums.

My problem is that I am looking at my first tractor purchase and don't know what to get. My needs are as follows:

11 acre property (flat land, Goshen, NY)

Divided as follows:

2.5 acre- house and lawn (more like grass than true lawn :))
5 acre horse pasture
3.5 woods with several small horse trails (not real but small downed timber bushes etc.)
have six horses (4 stalled the other 2 are turned out 24/7 with run-in sheds) could go to 10 horses some day soon

The barn only holds 4 horses so manure management should be pretty constant even with a few additional horses. The horse pasture is kept about 75% maitained now by the horses. The edges are nasty thorny stuff that go within the first hours that I get ANY tractor (payback time for all those thorns I am plucking out of my arm).

My choices seem to be between a larger 25-30 hp compact with out the BH or the BX 22 TLB or Kioti 1914 TLB.
I think the BX or 1914 can get the job done as far as moving manure, dirt, occasional stone for the driveway,but I am not sure if they will be good for brush hogging the trails and the nasty stuff that is presently on my fence line.

The problem is if I move up to say a 30hp (was considering Kioti 3054) I can't afford the hoe. I also am realistic to know that the wife is not going to be forking over an extra5 -6,000 any time soon after I buy a tractor. It is also nice to have the hoe thrown into the original financing a Kubotas current 0%.

I also need some french drains and can think of 100 other hoe jobs if I try. Whatever tractor would see weekly manuure moving/spreading, weekly lawm mowing and monthly brush hogging. The rest would be snow moving, yearly stone driveway touch up (250ft), firewood moving and some (small) posthole digging.

Can I get by with the BX-22 or 1914? I think the BX-22 looks like a great machine and I don't mind a little extra time doing chores but don't want to not be able to complete jobs or destry the machine. Boy, but I do love the TLB package......

ANyone out there doing similar with a small machine?

HELP!

Link:   LawmanDesigns

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-25          55558

my opion only,the bx-22 does not have the weight or ground clearence for server field work/ 4wd is not going to help you when your axles are pushing mud. a bucket of horse manure is going to tax a 22 .the height of the bucket will get it into a pick-up but not a dump truck .like most posts will agree buy more (hp) if you can !!!! ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55560

Have you considered a John Deere 790? Dollar for dollar it is one of the best value tractors on the market. Would do all you are wanting but does not have all the bells and whistles. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-05-26          55562

Kubota's 0% financing is for up to 36 months.Kioti currently has the same 0% for up to 36 months. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
Art White

2003-05-27          55715

You might have to work a BX22 a little harder now to open things up the way you might like, but in the future it should handle everything easily. There are draw backs to the loader height that has been metioned but they are built and will take care of your property fine. Besides that if you do find it a little small, I'd be more than glad to buy it from you as they are so hot we won't have any free to sell till the end of August. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-05-27          55723

Considering the money situation, you might want to look around for a used 40 hp or so utility tractor, not necessarialy 4WD.
You can quite often find a good used IH/Massey/Ford/JD with loader for well under 10K. Probably about 5K.

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
RichT

2003-05-30          56054

I'm a 9 month owner of a BX22. I do many of the things you talk about, though on a smaller scale, less acreage, fewer horses. The advice on going with more HP is always offered, however, in my case I was looking for a combination of maneuverability and capability. I needed a tractor that would easily move in/out of stalls and 48in wide gates in stone walls. The 22 fit my needs perfectly. I haven't found a job yet that I couldn't do with the 22, though in some cases certainly not as quickly as a bigger machine.

These debates rage on and on. It really comes down to you matching your requirements with the tractor. My neighbor owns a commercial JD backhoe rig and uses my 22 around his house/barn frequently to get to areas his bigger rig can't access. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-31          56107

Im New Holland predjust,,so give the TC30 some thought,,and the ground clearence is a problem with the BX22,,also with New Holland you get a nicer tractor and more gears and a nicer work area than a Deere,, ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
dillo99

2003-06-01          56130

Did you consider the Kubota B7500 - It has better ground clearance than the 22 and is not that much more expensive. With backhoe it is about 2k more than the 22 which is nothing over three years. I was looking at the BX22 but instead decided to order the 7500.

Mike ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-01          56139

You are getting better prices than I found on a 7500. The closest dollar gap I found was closer to $5K.

The best quote I got from a very competitive dealer was over $21K for a 7500 TLB while the same guy was selling the BX22 for just under $16K ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
dillo99

2003-06-01          56189

My B7500 with the 302 loader and a backhoe was 18.1k. I did not get a mower cause I don't need one. Does the BX22 come with a mower? Maybe that was the difference. I know around here the BX was around 16k - and that was pushing it. Because it is so popular, one dealer told me list with no discount. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-01          56194

Grab it and run at that price. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
dillo99

2003-06-01          56209

I did! Delivery is Thursday!

Thanks. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-01          56221

F350lawman-

I think that if I were in your boots, as long as I was toying with either the BX22 or the B7500, my choice would be the B7500. Reason being, as you posted, you will be travelling ugly trails. These rough terrain areas are fine with a BX unit, so long as your clearance requirements do not exceed 6 inches, as that is the most that the BX offers. The B7500, which is more of a "tractor" tractor if you will, will allow you to manage these terrains with considerably more clearance , as the B7500 offers 12 inches of clearance. Your Call,

Willie H. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
dillo99

2003-06-02          56238

Mark,

One other idea is to consider using the 5 year financing instead of the the 3 year - yes, you pay 2.99% interest, but that is still excellent and if it allows you to get the tractor you want and will be happy with, it is worth it. That is actually what I did. I really wanted the B7500 but was not sure I could afford the backhoe. By switching to the 5 year financing the monthly payment was the same as the three year option with no backhoe. So for the last 2 years I'll pay for the backhoe.

Just an idea... ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-02          56254

And a good idea. Many people buy based on total cost rather than monthly payment.

It makes a lot more sense to me to figure out what you can afford each month and try to structure the payments into that framework. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-02          56395

Well Chief I never had considered the 790 until you mentioned...bought one today!

Thanks for the suggestion

419 loader w/ 61" HD bucket
LX5 w/ slipclutch and laminated wheel
Industrial tires
Grill guard

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56403

Congratulations on the new tractor. I am sure you will be very happy with it. Those 790's are good solid tractors. I think its the green paint that grows on everyone who buys one. Glad i was able to help you out. <;o) ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-02          56408

Actually the wife loved the green paint and more traditional styling of the 790. She thought it looked more like a mini-farm tractor and felt that the more expensive and full featured, plastic hood jobs looked like oversized lawn tracors.

Me I just wanted a good, basic tractor. Now all I have to do is wait 2-4 weeks for delivery. UGGGH!

Thanks again ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-02          56419

F350lawman -

Please don't be insulted, but I hope by your last comments, that the dealer had at least a demo unit for you to test out before you dropped the green on the green, rather than a brochure photo detail.

With a little pressure, I'm sure that the dealer in question could have a tractor brought in alot sooner from another dealer stock house.

Willie H. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-03          56471

Actually I had already seen and priced the tractor at my local dealer. I had crossed it off my list because of the price he quoted and just stopped at this Deere dealer to confirm thata they were priced too high for the features offered.

I was suprised at how much less this daler quoted and the rest is history.

P.S. I did go back to my local guy and give him the courtesy of matching or coming close and he didn't. We left on good terms but that's why he has 4 or 5 units in stock and the place I bought from has none... The other dealer is fairly close by and I am comfortable with them, quite frankly I think my local guy goofed. He countered with a price slightly lower on a 20 hour demo but didn't offer a revised quote on a new unit. My feelings were that I come back out of courtesy and he wants to pawn off the demo but not do better on one of the 4 new units??? If he had come close on a new unit I would have paid slightly more to stay local. I certainly wasn't paying the discussed 16-17k! As the customer do I have to complete the sale for him by asking "well how close can you come on a new unit"? So I left, and he really NEVER gave me an actual price on a new unit. Many moons ago I was a salsesman and I was not impressed with this lack of effort. My thoughts were if this is how enthusiatically a potential sale is treated how thrilled are they going to be with a warranty repair? The other dealer gave me his best shot right from the get go and threw in a few features I wouldn't have aksed for due to me lack of tractor experience. ( better bucket, slip clutch). So I am happy with my price and also how I was handled.

Now I am sure the dealer has another opinion but how do let someone walk without giving em' your best shot after they have gone out of there way to give you a chance to sell? ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56472

Did you make the dealer give you a John Deere baseball cap, coffee mug, & Tee Shirt? ;o) ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-03          56475

Already thought of that. The sales manager sold me the tractor and said he will deliver it himself, I figured on telling him "don't forget my hat" when it's ready.

Maybe I'll have to up the stakes a bit, I do drink plenty of coffee! ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-03          56479

When I bought my BX I got nothing no hat, no tee shirt, no coffee mug, I asked for a little toy kubota for the kids guess what the answer was. :( ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-03          56481

That's just wrong, no toy for the kiddies??? :)

I go and get hay every 2 weeks or so for me and my neighbors horses. The dairy farmer and I have become friendly. He has several big Deere tractors and usually is riding with his deere cap on.

I told him the first thing I am going to do is put my cap on and ride my lil' Deere over. Then I'll pull up alongside his big machine and it's gonna look like Mini-me from Austin Powers...

On the serious side the farmer has given me plenty of good advice and I already half joked about being a city boy needing driving lessons for my new toy:) ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-06-03          56533

F350Lawman-I was trying to be impartial on my post,welcome to the 790 club. The two plugs on top of the right fender come out easily so you can bolt on a wal-mart cup holder without drilling holes. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-03          56546

Thank you, and thanks for the tip.

I can't wait, there are some evil thorn bushes that have been kickin my a55 for 3 years now. Well SAY HELLO TO MY LIL' FRIEND!

In all seiousness I need to do about an acre over overgrown brush o the side of my property and open up some small horse trails in the rear of my property. It has a real nasty 1st 50 yards that have stopped us from using it for the past 3 years. Once you get past that with a chainsaw and some chains I can move some downed trees and limbs and my trails are open.

OH almost forgot, I have to move a mountain of horse doodie too :)

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56590

Just remember to take it slow, careful, and easy until you get used to the new tractor characteristics. Don't want to have any altercation with the garage door or wood deck like I did.;o) ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-04          56592

F350, congrats on the new machine! I think you will be real happy with the 790, I really like mine. best of luck with it. ....

BX 22 TLB big enough

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-06-04          56593

Just remember to take it slow, careful, and easy until you get used to the new tractor characteristics

New tractor characteristics, how about ANY tractors characteristics? :)

The one thinh am doing 1st. is head to the middle of a 2-3 acre horse pasture (- horses) and paractice for a few hours. Then I will hog the flat horse field and only then head for the brush. Luckily I am very familar with the brush having watched someone else brush hog it before and the land is pretty much dead flat. Also my loader practice will be on a LARGE though low manure pile on even ground before I head into the woods to use the loader to move downed limbs etc.

Thanks for the wise advice. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login