Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota brake pedals Deere Long wait

View my Photos
Guy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-20          5333

So I'm still trying to make my decision between a 4100 or a 2100/2400. Looking at the recent posts a few things pop out. The long wait for Hydro 4100,“ score one for KUB”.The brake pedal layout on KUB, how do you make a brake assisted turn? You Kubota owners can help me out here, or is this “score one for DEERE”Hook up for mid mower. Do you really have to lift the front end of a KUB? Score another for “DEERE”Any other info you can give on anything to tout your choice between these two fine machines would be helpful.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-06-20          5337

You might want to check with your JD dealer on transferring a 4100 hydro from another dealership. He can easily search for available unsold machines by computer. Postings here suggest that there are some on dealer lots all over the country. ....

View my Photos
Paul

1999-06-20          5343

I think the availability of the 4100 is much better than the rest of the 4000 series, at least a my local dealer. He has 4100 Hydro in stock but the rest of the series-- nothing. ....

View my Photos
Stanley

1999-06-21          5353

Regarding the Kubota brake pedals being on the same side as the hydrostatic pedal,how important is it for you to make real tight turns using the brakes? I realizeDeere decided to place the split brakes on the left side but with my Kubota B1550I never use the split brake. Maybe if they were on the left side I might use thembut for me I really don't need them. Mostly lawn cutting and loader use. As far as removing the belly mower it can be a pain in the rear but I jack up the frontand rear, (always using jack stands) and then roll the mower either out or in. Worksgreat for me. Of course I've had 8 years to get this down to a science. Forwhat its worth, I'll never purchase a tractor without hydro or power steering(especially with a loader), and after 8 years I've NEVER had a problem with theKubota starting, running, mowing, loader use, etc. Good luck, Stanley ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-21          5354

Guy,Please take my finds with a grain of salt because I'm not sure how to say thiswithout seeming like I'm in a color war. Do yourself a favor, put the spec sheets down & demo both units under condition that may be similar to yours(Mowing,loader,ect..)Everyone told me "Kubota is the ONLY way to go" But IMHO,"I" was disappointed to find that thelargest compact tractor maker needed some improvements. Improvements that keptme from going that route. For example: No-one seems to really know Kubota's recommended belly mower installation. Guys talk about lifting the front end with the loader, but whatabout the guy without a loader? The Kub dealer I went to, said you drive over it???Also, Kubota's loader design is such that half the loader has to stay on theunit for "Quick" loader attachment??. And for some crazy reason,like you said,they put the independant rear brakes on the same side as the foot catcher, I mean hydro controls??In the spec sheets, Kubota has an optional 4WD front assist unit that spins the wheels 60% faster than the rear to aid in turning, seemed impressive enough on paper. Hardly impressive against tighter turning units(without this feature). On the other hand, a 4100is dead in the water for a backhoe attachment. Plus Kubota offers a 24hp motorin the same frame as the B1700/B2100.. I think both units are good, each onehas its pros and cons. It depends what functions and features are important to you. ....

View my Photos
dick

1999-06-21          5372

I have an older kubota with a loader and belly mower. In my case, the mower was designed to be taken off/put on by sliding it out to the side. It's a pain. I too use the loader to get the front end off the ground then pull the mower out to the side. Without a loader I would jack it up then pull it out. The newer mowers are actually designed to be driven over to attach and remove and some folks say they can get them on in 10-15 minutes.As far as the brakes on same side as hydro pedal. I agree that there is no practical way that you can use single wheel braking to improve turn radius. But if you put it on the other side you have it on top of the clutch to engage/disengage implements.Post about the backhoe is right on target. JD has a problem with the 4100 there.I personally prefer the kubota because there are 3 dealers within 10 miles. All of them are helpful. There is one deere dealer left in the area (another closed recently) who hasen't got the time of day for me with my 265 questions but assures me that I can trade it in and he'll give me a great deal on a new machine. No thank you.Go with the best dealer! Machine color is secondary. ....

View my Photos
Paul B

1999-06-23          5432

The brake pedal issue isn't an issue, because if you use the cruise confrol lever ( all the B series have it except maybe the 7300 ), you can use the split brakes with your right foot. Only when you have the brake pedals linked together will hitting the brakes shut off the cruise. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-23          5439

I'm a little confused..I guess that is because people use independent left/right brakes differently.Under cruise conditions, The only time I could imagine needing the Independent left/rightbrakes would be to help the front wheels pull back into line while plowing or doing somethinglike rotary cutting, while traveling along a sloped hill. But neither of those situations have presented themselves with 4WD. Used to be an issue on the old tri-cycle type units of days gone by.But for the most part, I can think of only two MAIN situations where I may use the left/right brake, both ofwhich require the other foot on the hydro controls. 1. Decreasing the turning radius while backing or turning in a tight spot. 2. When one rear wheel starts to spin, use the brake for that wheel to give added traction to the other. That use obviously is no longer needed with the rear Differential Lock feature. I will agree that I wouldn'tsay no to Kubota for this reason alone, that is unless it is something you can't imagine being without. But also important to remember that a hydro isn't like a gear tranny. Clutch in on a gear is "Neutral" hence the need for good brakes. The hydro's will for the most part stop theunit when the forward lever is no longer depressed. ....

View my Photos
george

1999-07-13          5946

Probably too late Guy, but for whatever it is worth.You will never need to use the independent brakes to turn sharp and I mean never! Doing so while mowing will only scuff your turf. Most people I have spoken too never use this feature. Secondly, the Kubota mid mount mower goes on very easily with out raising the front end. Simply turn the wheel fully to the left and the mower will roll easily under using the multi directional gage wheels. I have one and can install and remove in under 2 minutes. The Deere 4100 is actually a Yanmar, loader and 3 pt lift specs before buying. ....

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-07-21          6154

YES! The brake pedals are an issue. If these Kubota owners had them on the correct side so they could use them they would be using them all of the time. I do a lot of different applicactions with my John Deere Tractor. When you have a large bush hog hooked up to the back of your macine and want to make fine adjustments in positioning of the unit without having to go back and forth, the turn brakes let you turn in place. Also, I don't know what climate you live in but if you are ever going to go out in your driveway in the winter and use a loader to scrape up compacted Ice and snow off your driveway.. well? your front tires are off the ground.. so how do you turn in one fluid motion? USE YOUR TURN BRAKES.. it works great. when you are rototilling and you look behing you and you see your pattern is off from the previous pattern by a foot or so.. How do you correct your self in one fluid motion? USE YOUR TURN BRAKES. I never had a problem with Kubota tractors.. till I used one.. and realized that my Previous JD 855 and my New JD 4200 has put all kubotas to shame in the same class. IF you decide to get a belly mower.. roll it under the machine.. snap.. snap. snap..clip and it is one. takes all but three minutes. If you ever decide to get a Loader wich is far superior to KUBOTA loaders.. Unhook the latch, hydraulicly lower the support arms and drive out a few feet.. unplug your plugs.. and your done. and putting it back on is just as easy. And you have a nice universal lever that controls your machine that is located in a very nice area just in hands reach of a comfortable operator. Not way up on the frame like a KUBOTA..You get all of this and no jacks involved..this is a machine that you intend to keep for ten or fifteen years out of your life.. if you have to wait and get the right one then do it.. Don't sell yourself short on gettin a KUBOTA.. People love to sell themselves short too much.. just look at computers.. people buy PC's when a Macintosh is a better machine that can do it all.. easily...so take my advice get the John Deere..and make sure you get the HYDRO! ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-07-23          6219

Brake problems with Kubota are like rolling over in a Jeep.......NOT IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!!! We run 6 Kubota's in a landscaping business, and have for many years, NO other compact has stood up as well. Even Deere's have hand throttles don't they........ ask a farmer how to make a brake-assisted correction....you use the hand throttle, the 2 brake pedals, and still have your left foot free for the clutch, just in case. If you don't believe me ask my one-handed neighbour, he lost his left hand 6 years ago when his tractor rolled on him going down a hill with a loader bucket full of dirt, stepped on the wrong peddle..........by the way fellas, there is seat belts AND roll bars for a reason. One is NOT a replacement for the other................use them BOTH !! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login