Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX22 - Awesome digging power

View my Photos
John_Wally
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-17          53313

Just to let everyone out there know, the BX22 has great digging power. I just finished digging a 3 by 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep hole in the worst soil I have ever seen. It was in an old parking lot that was torn up and covered with 2 feet of blacktop chunks, big rocks, bricks and what ever. The BX22 handled without no problem. For the past 7 years I've run a JD855 with a hoe but the BX outperforms that by miles. This is the first real test I've given my BX since getting it 2 months ago. Can't wait till I dig some more!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-17          53319

Sounds great, You have the standard Kubota hoe I assume ?
Its fun digging holes and such, just like a big Tonka toy..err... tool :)

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-17          53321

I got a week or two to go before my BX22 is here. Just can't wait reading this! ....

View my Photos
John_Wally

2003-04-17          53324

Yes, I have just the hoe that came on the BX22 with a 10 inch bucket. Greanted the smaller bucket gives more digging power, but the JD I been using only has a 13 inch bucket. ....

View my Photos
delvinmuglas

2003-04-17          53326

I just got my BX-22 a week ago and I'm VERY pleased with the digging capacity. I live on 5 acres and purchased the BX-22 to do dirt work around my pond. I handles rocks, boulders and dirt like much bigger machines. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-18          53348

I was wondering if you can store the BX22 in a box/Car trailer and what size I would need. Sort of taking care of storage and traveling at the same time. Also will I be able to remove the backhoe while in the trailer and leave it there. I know that you can't take off the mower in the trailer(nowhere to push it) so that stays in the garage. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-18          53352

I don't think so. Fully assembled it is 14 feet long and with the B/H stabilizers down it is 8 feet wide.

Another thing.... it wouldn't be much fun to be in an enclosed trailer with the engine running while hooking up the back hoe. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-18          53366

Thanks Mark, Guess i'll go with my new 2 car garage idea or pole barn. There's never enough garage space!

View my Photos
John_Wally

2003-04-18          53369

My trucks haven't seen the inside of the garage in over a year, but the BX22 has! When we move south I'm planning on putting up a building, I've already put a down payment on a 35 X 56 X 15 foot metal building. that should be enough room for all of the equipment and my shop so my wife can have the house back! I'm still amazed at the digging power this little machine has! ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-27          53860

well, I seen my BX22 at the dealer on saturday(to be delivered monday) and I hope that I am not being riped-off. It appears that it may have been the floor model,the piant appeared slightly faded compared to the obviously new (spotless)models there. It also had 2 hours on it and all the others there had 1 hour on them ,the stabilizer feet had the paint knocked off, 3 point hitch was still in the box on the backhoe and was clearly rained on the staples were rusty. There was condensation in the headlight and the black plastic part of the dash appeared to be scratched as if a tag had been attached and was blowing in the wind for some time.
I brought all the books home and going through them they all looked new except for 2 of them that were so obviously used they grease and dirt and finger prints all over them. The 2 books were for the front hydraulic blade and the male quick hitch and subframe. I didn't see the front blade at the dealer.
The original quote I got for the BX22/bar tires/4way valve/12" bucket/60"mower was $16,873. Then i decided to get the front plow BX2763/BX2751 and the tiller B40C, bumping it up to $19,839, plus tax and fees 21,029.34. I certainly thought I was buying all new equipment. I suppose I have 3 days to cancel.
Can anyone tell me if I am just being "knit-picky" or if at $21,000 my concerns are justified.

View my Photos
John_Wally

2003-04-27          53877

Sorry to hear that you are disapointed when you saw your BX22. I would point all these items out to your dealer. It looks like maybe it was a demo unit, what shape is the front bucket and rear bucket in, any scraped paint? I can't really compair price, I only have bar tires, tooth bar for front bucket, block heater for any options (no mower deck). I paid $14824 for it, plus $560 to get it trucked to me from NC. (no sales tax, out of state deal). I hope you can get everything taken care of before delivery. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-27          53883

John, the buckets were clean and not scratched and as I stated there is only 2 hours on it. I believe the dealer does get some value out of the display model and that should be reflected in the price. Truthfully I may have overlooked all the things with the tractor, it is after all a beautiful machine. However when I seen the obviously used books for the plow it made me suspicious of the whole deal. It's scheduled to be delivered monday and I don't if I should cancel it or reward this disseption ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-28          53905

I guess another way of looking at it would be that the day you bring a new tractor home you should take a picture of it because that is as good as it is ever going to look.

My BX was a little scuffed up when I took delivery so I asked for a can of paint to touch up the problem spots, but I never got around to doing it. I just put it to work.

The reality is that it has a lot more boo-boo's on it now at 120 hours, especially after moving many tons of gravel and rocks.

I would at least make the dealer explain why he can't deliver a prettier machine and see what he offers to do. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-28          53922

well I took it anyway, when i got there at 9:30 in the morning i saw him spray painting the mounting bracket for the plow and other than the scrape marks on the skids in looked new. I notice that all the other kubota's there had a power steering sticker but mine. I know that all these thing are minor but you just hope that $21,000 is enough to get a little honesty. He followed me home with it and a steady stream of niebors have been coming over to see it!
It really is a nice machine! The fun begins! ....

View my Photos
John_Wally

2003-04-28          53929

I'm sure you will be real happy with your tractor. I know I am (though I am still a "green" fan). I just got done moving some mulch piles around, sure beats shoveling! Good luck to you! ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-28          53945

Thanks John, I just can't believe how easy the backhoe comes off/on. The loader comes off easy too although getting it back on took a little bit of study. Next time I take it off i'll be a pro, great design!! I mowed about an acre of field and was impressed, took the deck off(so easy)and started digging till sundown, hard to believe it's just 22hp. Oh and by the way it's scratched and dirty now ,I should have taken that picture Mark talked of. Tomorrow it's time for the tiller and it is very heavy. Thinking of making a dolly for it in the shop so I can wheel it around to the back of the tractor. thanks again ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-04-29          53972

homedad5acre -

Sorry to hear about the strangeness at the orange dealer, stuff like that laeves a bad taste in one's mouth, regardless of the color. Good luck with it though!

As far as the dollie goes, what I use, are snowmobile roller dollies. They are about 2-3 inches total height, and about 9 inches square. When you by these, they come three to a package, Northern Hydraulics or wherever. I have been using these for the tillers, chipper, and my woods B650 backhoe once detached from the orange, for many years. Merely retract the stabilizers, curl up the scoop, and push off into the corner 'til next time...they work great for about $35.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-29          53983

Thanks WillieH, those rollers are a good tip. Where can I find some? Let me know. I looked up northern hydraulics and could not find them. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-04-29          53986

homedad5acre -

I might have had the incorrect name before,sorry, Northern Tool and Equipment they go by now. Most snowmobile dealers carry these as well, however quite pricey from them. Northern also sells these for rolling around snowplows as well in off season.

Ask for part or item number 12467-F729, (3piece set at 1000lbs) or #124685-F729, (3piece set at 1500lbs)
Tel number is 1.800.533.5545

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-04-30          54072

Thanks again WillieH.,I ordered a set for the backhoe to try them out. The dollie for the tiller is already in the works it's a custom fit but is't 10" high, I might have to get smaller wheels. I'll probably get a set for the plow too. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-01          54128

I got 12hrs on my bx22 and I am very please with the digging capacity(better than I expected), However I have a hydraulic leak it,s behind the BT600 plate on the backhoe. There is a series of connections there that you can't get a staight wrench on. Should I call the dealer and did anyone else have this problem? I would appreciate any comments on this. If the reliability factor is all I heard it was concerning kubota this is the perfect tractor for my size lot. Time will tell! ....

View my Photos
delvinmuglas

2003-05-01          54132

I've got about 25 hours on my new BX-22 and have not had any problems with hydraulic leaks. If it's as simple as a loose hose, I'd tighten it and go on. But then again for the $$$ you paid, the dealer should take care of it and also check the other hoses for tightness. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-01          54138

130 hours here.... and no leaks at all.

I wonder how those roller gizmo's are going to work. In order to get the BH mounted it has to be sitting at a pretty sharp angle on the ground. Maybe you can lift it up and get the rollers off before you go through the mounting procedure. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-02          54149

Good hydraulic fittings seal without a lot of tightening. Nothing wrong with a bit of tightening but there just has to be enough pressure to deform the threads. Pressure beyond that doesn't seal them any better and often tightening a fitting doesn't help a leak.

Tape or liquid sealer on the upper thread portions can help seal somewhat buggered up fittings. Taking things completely apart and cleaning them helps too, especially if sealant has been used previously. I use liquid sealant myself but new fittings probably would be a better solution. In using tape or liquid, it's important to not cover threads that will extend into the oil stream when the fittings are tightened. Blobs of sealant or tape can end up in valve orifices.

I don't know if the hoe angle problem is the same as I have mounting my forklift. The carriage folds flat when it isn't mounted and it's too heavy for one person to raise to a vertical so the top-link pin can be made. The forklift sits on blocks when not mounted. My solution is to make the lower-link pins and use the 3ph to raise one end so the blocks can be removed and then sit that end on the ground. I then put top-link pins through clevis loops on the tractor and forks top-link mounts and use a come-along to raise the carriage. The come-along hooks go into the clevis loops. I also use safety chain around the lower ROPS and grab hooks that I progressively shorten to catch the carriage if the come-along ratchet plays tricks on me.

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-02          54170

I took the BT600 plate off and tighten the offending nut about 1/8( now that I think about it it's more like a 1/32)of a turn. It's hard to get a staight wrench on it,guess i'll have to get a set of offset wrenches. I put about 2 more hours on it and it appears to have stopped leaking. It's very hard to get the dipstick out to check the fluid level there is an hydraulic line in the way. You practically have to bend it to get it out. Anyone else notice this? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-02          54178

Yup. It is a pain in the.... Um.... Knuckles. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-02          54203

Got a box in the mail today from the dealer,it appears to be some extra parts (no explanation). Oh and after a further look it appears to be a used 4way valve can't even read the number plate ( so weathered) . I love my BX22 but the dealer SUCKS! ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-05-02          54204

homedad5acre -
OUCH!
Sorry to hear this saga! However, so often is the case...great product, but terrible representation to the market! Doesn't matter what color the tractor is,or product for that matter, they all have them, sadly to say.

I hope your orange proves different results than your delivering dealer has.

Good luck

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-05-03          54250

homedad5acre -

Though I do not have a BX22, the principle remains the same for attaching and detaching your hoe, backhoe that is.

When I dismount, the hoe...backhoe,man this is tough to write about! Let's try again, shall we?

When I remove the backhoe from the tractor, I drop the stabilizers down to the floor, and set the scoop down onto one of my three roller dollies in a curled position.

I then detach the three pin points on the orange, so that the tractor and backhoe are separated. I then roll the other two dollies under the backhoe main frame, where the stabilizers attach to, place an oak plank across from one dollie to the other, then slowly lower the backhoe down onto the dollies, by raising the stabilizers to eventually a completely upright position. Once set on rollers, you can adjust the dipper arm by either opening or closing the angle to make the backhoe sit more "comfortable" for rolling away. Disconnect your hydraulics, and roll away. Merely reverse this procedure for reattaching.

It will take abit of practice, however, once tried, you'll see how it will work, and you'l find short cuts. I now can put on the backhoe in about 10 -15 minutes, and dropping in about 7 minutes. Just remember - be safe about what you do!

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-04          54265

For my 3ph hoe, I retract the stabilizers, boom and dipper and flip the boom latch closed. I place some blocks under the bucket and lower the hoe down on its original shipping pallet plus an added cross-timber. The hoe is fairly stable in this position and the boom and bucket can't change positions if the cylinders leak down. The hoe stays at the same angle it had when mounted so it's just a matter of backing up and making the 3ph pins and other mount arms. Its easy enough to maneuver the pallet slightly with a pry-bar to make the pins if necessary. My backing up isn't always dead-on.

I could lower the stabilizer to the ground for more lateral stability but the storage space is fairly narrow. As long as they weren't support weight there wouldn't be a leak down problem.

I would keep in mind that cylinders do leak down and more so if they support weight. I once thought I'd be clever and gain a bit more shed space by leaving the loader bucket up so I could pull the tractor closer to a snow blower. The next time I was in the shed I noticed that the bucket had leaked down and hooked itself over the blower chute. Maybe not so clever I thought, if I couldn't get the tractor started to raise the bucket, I'd have to jack up the bucket just to get the tractor out of the shed. I don't leave the bucket up anymore.

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-04          54297

WOW! got to use the tiller today, this thing is amazing, what use to take me 2hr with a borrowed 5hp tiller I did in 15mins. With 1 pass it pulverized the ground into a perfect seed bed. I haven't tried it on virgin soil yet, but for sure the vegtable garden is going to grow now! very satisfied with the tiller and the bx22 had no trouble at all spinning or lifting it. I'll let you all no how it works on virgin soil. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-05-04          54300

homedad5acre -
I think you like the tiller, by the way you wrote.

When you attack the vigin soil, if it is hard pack be mindful of having the tiller hammering the pack...you'll break tines, and, possibly jostle your kidneys loose!

When attacking virgin soil that is grass covered, the grass roots are what will hold the unit back from digging down. Address the cut with a mild cutting depth first. Then a second pass half cutting the first while half cutting the third. This will break the ground easily for the machine. Once completed, you can finish till to the depth desired without the "hammering" effect on the unit.

The biggest killer for tines...cutting sod. The grass roots are dense and tight. Ease into it and it will be forgiving, brute forcing it will NOT be forgiving, and you'll feel it physically.

Have fun with your new toy!

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-04          54308

As allways, thanks for the tips WillieH and you are right I like this tiller. I love to grow things and getting the soil workable has allways been my limitation, I have enough property. The more grass the more mowing, the more garden the more fresh vegtables. Last year we grew tomatoes to make sauce and had enough to till the end of March. And I think we still have some pickles left. This year I would like to get some blueberries/rasberries bushes going. ....

View my Photos
John_Wally

2003-05-05          54340

Hey guys, speaking of hydraulic links, I just got back from our 50 acres in VA (back to cold NY), and what fun we had with the BX22. I was pushing brush piles on Thursday night and I was dumping the bucket and all of the suddent fluid was flying every where. It seems that a piece of brush unhooked the quick disconect down on the right side by the engine cover. When it came off, I didn't know it, and then I dumped the bucket, when I tried to bring it back up it blew the O ring in the top of the valve. I had to reseat the ring and after that it was fine. A quick trip to the local dealer in Lynchburg for more fluid and off we went.I will be building a guard for this area now. Also ran my bush hog this weekend without any problem. Great tractor! ....

View my Photos
Judd107

2003-05-08          54544

Hi John,

I'm a tractor wannabe, and am seriously considering the BX22. I have 11 acres in NC and half of it needs recurring bushhogging. I really like the BX22 features, but I am afraid it may not be up to the bush hog. My dealer said it will handle a 42" hog. Can you share your thoughts on how well your bush hog worked with the BX22? I appreciated your thoughts on protecting the hydraulic connections.

Thanks. ....

View my Photos
John_Wally

2003-05-10          54621

This was my first time bush hogging with the BX22. I usally use it on my other tractor a JD 445. The BX22 handled the "Bush Hog" SQ42 with no problem. Horse power doesn't seem to be a problem both the 445 and BX22 are 22 hp. I didn't get into too much heavy stuff only a few 1 1/2 to 2 inch tree clumps. I did handle them well. On my 445 any thing I can push and drive over it will chew up. I have 50 acres in VA and also do bush hogging here in NY as part of my business. I don't abuse my equipment but I do use it! Check with Carver Equipment when your ready to purchase, they are on the web and also located in Dunn, NC. That is where I bought my BX22, couldn't beat the price even with trucking cost! Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
Judd107

2003-05-11          54677

John,

Thanks for the feedback about the bush-hogging. I must be a very lucky man. I took my wife to see a new BX-22, and she said its way too small!!! Accordingly, I've been looking at the JD-990 and JD-5205. We do have some heavier growth areas and downed trees that I would like to move around without cutting into small pieces. It is still a tough decision which way to go. I will check Carver on prices if I go Kubota. Once again thanks for your thoughts.

David ....

View my Photos
tom129

2003-05-11          54681

I have had a BX2200 for almost 3 years. I know, I bought too soon-it won't take the backhoe, but is identical to the BX22 in most every other way. I have a Gearmore 48" rough cutter ("bushhog") which is exactly the same width as the tractor. This allows me to cut accurately in tight pivot turns to within a half inch of trees. Too small?-No way; I have thick heavy brush in a low wet abea that reaches 8' (thats right, FEET). The 2200 with the 48" Gearmore chew that stuff up like spinach in a Vegamatic! I have some slopes that approach 40 degrees-these are a breeze head-on. Because the entire BX series has a wider wheel base and is shorter than comparable green or blue units, the BX had a much lower center of gravity. I easily make tight turns on 25+ degree slopes with the 2200, places where I'd be deathly afraid of rolling a "bigger" tractor. The only disadvantage I see to this little puppy is the loader volume, but that's not a function of power.

Northern Tool & Equipment also has a separate caster catalog. I built custom made dollies for my bushhog, scraper, rototiller, Gannon box, dirt scoop, and just bolted wheels right to the bottom of the carry-all fork. They all just wheel easily around the garage. (No rain on these investments!) I put a chain hoist on a rolling bar in my garage trusses to hoist the 3-pt. auger off, then rotate and bolt/lock it to the wall. Yet to come on my list are PTO powered 9kw. generator (not only handy in power outages but on the carry all it can power elec. chainsaw or tools at a construction site), chipper/shredder, and log splitter. Having numerous internal combustion engines sitting around not running often is a pain. Instead, I maintain only one internal combustion engine (other than the cars), my Yanmar Diesel on my orange tractor. It may look little, but it's a big man's machine! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-11          54689

Tom129, I hope you have a Kubota engine in your Orange Tractor.

I am interested in the generator you mentioned. Do you have some specs? Who makes it? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-05-12          54696

TOM129 -
Did you mean to post a Yanmar diesel in your "RED" tractor?

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
tom129

2003-05-12          54756

Oops! Guess that's what happens when I try to type while running a fever from the flu. Of course it's Kubota.

Mark, we may be getting off thread here but for small generators try the following. (I attempted to list web addresses but TractorPoint wouldn't let me.) Try web searches for these:
Get off the Grid: 352-568-7582
Hardy Diesel: 800-341-7027
Custom Generators: 709-364-6545
Southwest Fastener aka Southwest Supply: 888-365-9709
Bolton Power Equipment: 978-779-5541
Central CA Dsl. Svc. Inc.: 800-974-0911
or try web searching for "PTO generator"

I deserved that Willie! Be nice now!!

Tom ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-13          54787

Tom, if you have some web addresses you can post them on the "link" line or write them out with "at" instead of that symbol and we will know what you mean. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login