Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trailer Size

View my Photos
steviej
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-27          52017

If one was to buy a BX 2200 with a LA211 FEL and a 60" mmm what would be the minimum size, length and width trailer that one would need? And are there any other points (types of trailers)that I should be aware of.

Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-03-27          52021

5 feet wide, single axle, 10 feet long minimum. 6 by 12 is better. No need for double axle or electric brakes for a BX. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
steviej

2003-03-27          52024

Thanks Morgan. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-03-27          52028

I have experience with matching trailers to tractors. The mistake is to buy a trailer that is a match to your current tractor. Do not, repeat, do not trap yourself by buying a trailer that is just big enough for your current tractor.
Some time you will need bigger. Either you trade up in tractor size, or you tackle a moving job that exceeds your trailer's capacity, etc.
Strongly recommend buying a standard car-carrier trailer for your needs. They are in-expensive because they are a standard size and very common. Such a trailer will handle your current tractor and give you up-grading coverage when you buy a bigger tractor (and you will, as we all have done).
good luck...jim ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-03-27          52029

I have experience with matching trailers to tractors. The mistake is to buy a trailer that is a match to your current tractor. Do not, repeat, do not trap yourself by buying a trailer that is just big enough for your current tractor.
Some time you will need bigger. Either you trade up in tractor size, or you tackle a moving job that exceeds your trailer's capacity, etc.
Strongly recommend buying a standard car-carrier trailer for your needs. They are in-expensive because they are a standard size and very common. Such a trailer will handle your current tractor and give you up-grading coverage when you buy a bigger tractor (and you will, as we all have done).
good luck...jim ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-27          52031

Jim is right on. Get a 16 foot car carrier. Smaller can actually cost you more. Make sure you get brakes on all four wheels so you are legal in all states.

BTW, my Deere 4100 with the rear blade in place is 13 feet long and the BX22 with loader and backhoe is over 14 feet.

16 feet is not too big. You will find lots of uses for the trailer. I have. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
bigf6

2003-03-28          52032

I have the same tractor. I use a 8'X12' trailer with utility tires. It gives me room to walk around the tractor checking things out, and small enough for a good fit into my garage. I can get one slightly used, but in very good shape for around $700.00 with a 3500 GVW if you need one. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-03-28          52033

Well, he asked what the **minimum** size trailer would be for his needs. An 8 x 16 car carrier trailer seems pretty much overkill for a subcompact tractor that is slightly over 3 feet wide and 7 feet long. An 8 X 16 trailer would be double axle with brakes and would cost over 2500 dollars new, a 6 X 12 that I recommend with single axle and no brakes would be about 1000 new. He can put the 1500 into a savings account in my name. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-28          52043

I think the question of brakes or not is best answered by the question of what is used to tow the trailer and also by state transport regs as mentioned.

A couple of days ago I saw a minivan sort of thing on the highway towing a tandem utility trailer with a compact car on it. I thought at the time, I sure hope at least one of those axles has brakes or there aren't any long hills to go down along the rest of the trip. If the van had an automatic and typical gearing, I sure hope there weren't too many long hills to go up either. I also don't imagine that the trip would have lasted very long if Transport was running an inspection station along the way.

Figuring out the max weight that can be towed for a particular vehicle where it's going to be used would be good.

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-28          52049

I don't know where you are buying the equipment/car haulers. I purchased mine new for $900. I see them all the time for $1500.
If you are going to carry an implement with you you need the 16ft mimimum. You might not need the heavy trailer like mine but you need the extra length to talk any other implement with you. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-03-28          52051

I would also recommend a larger trailer unless you simply don't want something that large. Resell interest and value would be much better. And you can get utility trailers, tandem axle, 6 1/2' x 16' bed, with brakes for under $1000. Around here, used 16' trailers are almost as much as new ones (if you can find one used for sale). ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
bushogbob

2003-03-28          52054

I guess it depends on how far and often you trailer, I would go bigger than you think you need, you may want to haul with a box blade or something. I trailer my L2500 from Ohio to Tennessee on a 6 by 16 dual axel with brakes its the only way to go. Bought the trailer for $1000.00 I wouldn't feel comfortable with a single axel trailer. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Murf

2003-03-28          52056

I strongly suggest you go with the consensus here, buy a standard car-carrier type trailer (WITH brakes), provided your tow vehicle, which you don't describe, can handle it. It not only will be better value, but will afford you benefits that far outway any negatives. It will also, more importantly IMHO, allow you to properly balance the load, a typical tag-along type trailer requires 10% (optimum) to 15% (maximum) of the total weight to be on the hitch, any more or less than this can cause the trailer to be VERY unstable, even at moderate speeds, and can drastically affect your steering and braking.

With a larger trailer you have the ability to adjust the position of the tractor on the trailer to achieve the proper load balance. The point most commonly overlooked with trailering small equipment is that it is usually not laid out in such a way that the mid-point is the balance point, the engine, and loader if so equipped is at the front, even if there is an implement on the 3pth, it is usually not nearly enough to affect the balance point in any meaningful way.

Best of luck. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-28          52060

I have a BX and a tape measure.

First: if you are going to load up just the tractor and the mower you will have an eight foot long 1550 pound load. A heavy duty single axle trailer might suffice.

If you are going to have a FEL, then you will also need a rear ballast box or a heavy implement on the back. If you are also keeping the mower deck in the picture, you now have a 13+ foot load that weighs at least 2400 pounds.

If your 12 foot, single axle trailer weighs 1000 pounds and has a max GVW of 3500 pounds, you are running at maximums there. You also have at least a foot of tractor hanging off one end or the other.

A sixteen foot dual axle trailer (mine was $1450 + tax, new) would allow you to position the tractor a couple feet forward or aft to balance the tongue weight so it is neither too heavy or too light.

Based on these weights:
BX2200......1300#
Mower deck...250#
FEL..........430#
Box blade....400#

Trailer Size

View my Photos
steviej

2003-03-28          52061

Wow, Thanks for all of your input. I only asked the minimum size so I didn't buy something that was too small.
I used to haul my Wheel Horse on my snow mobile trailer and I knew that it wouldn't handle the weight of a Kubota BX2200 w/FEL. BTW, I would be hauling with an S-10 Blazer so the trailer brakes are a good point. After reading all posts, I think that I will go with a car hauler type of trailer with dual axles and brakes, that way when I need to bring home my next Project/toy I will have enough room!

Thanks again, Steve ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
ChesapekeBoy

2003-03-28          52071

Gentleman....please tell me where I can get a 16' car hauler, tandem axle, with brakes for $1000-$1500.... Every thinkg around Iowa that I have seen is $2500-$3000.

Thanks ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Billy

2003-03-28          52072

Here's one for $970 but no electric brakes.

Link:   

Click Here

Trailer Size

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-03-28          52076

Here is a web site showing lots of pictures of different types trailers. Generally a "car hauler" trailer is one without raised rails around the sides and front. A utility trailer has either pipe or angle iron rails. There are pictures of both here, click on car hauler or on tandem axle. I prefer the utility type for tractor and implement hauling. I don't know anything about this manufacturer or their prices. ....

Link:   Trailers

Trailer Size

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-03-28          52077

I just bought a trailer for my TC45 w FEL and backhoe. I decided to go 18' tandem w brakes on a 10K pound vehicle hauler. It cost right at 2200. I had it customized with solid ramps to also carry a small tired forklifts and a spare tire and mount. I pull it with a Hummer H2 or GMC K2500 and do not use the electric brakes around town.

I know that this is a larger tractor, but I went through the same decision process. I considered the 7500 GW trailer and thought that I would be pushing the envelope. The gross weight also includes the weight of the empty trailer. The new 7500# tamdem with spare and brakes was about $1400. Car haulers are extremely versatile and useful trailers.

BTW, my trailer has a wood deck which I prefer. Wood is cheaper than diamond plate decking.

Trailer Size

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-03-28          52078

Auto hauling trailers that I looked at with wood decks had a metal lip so that you could load boxes and crates without them slipping off the sides. The metal lip also had stake pockets so that I could attach tie downs or build up some side panels if I want to.

Metal deck auto trailers had flat tops with no lip. You have to tie down everything. They may have stake pockets also, but some just had loops for the ends of chains or straps.

There are lots of options, vendors, builders and so forth. Take your time and figure out what you need. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-03-28          52093

I guess it depends on how far you haul it and how fast (highway travel vs. local roads). I use a 6 x 12 single axle car carrier to haul my Kubota and that's a huge upgrade from the old trailer which was actually smaller than the Kubota itself!!! It was an old boat trailer made for a 21 foot boat that I modified myself to have a bed maybe 4 feet wide. It was dual axle with 4 small wheels. I had to get a new trailer when I turned my B6200 into a dual with 4 calcium-loaded wheels in the back!! (100 pounds of calcium in each tire!!)

So with the calcium and FEL it weighs maybe 2500. I would have gone with a twin axle and electirc brakes if I ever planned to go highway speeds. But with those 4 loaded tires my weight is mostly in the back even more than the engine and FEL weight so it will balance.

By the way, a Chevy S-10 pulling an 8 X 16 trailer would be quite a sight.

Trailer Size

View my Photos
steviej

2003-03-28          52096

I have pulled an 8x16 car hauler with my S-10 before. :) I borrowed my neighbors one day to go down to a trucking company and pick up a lift that I bought. You just have to remember that the trailer is wider than the S-10. he-he I'm still in the process of checking out sizes and prices.
I really won't be hauling it that much but I have to get it home after I buy it,and I need to keep open the option of being able to haul it if I have to. The electric brakes are a must behind behind an S-10! I am leaning towards a 7' x 16' tandem axle w/7000 lb.GVW. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-03-29          52151

An S-10 pulling a 8x16...I used to pull my FEL / backhoe with a 1985 Isuzu Trooper. Geared for power, certainly not speed...you want to see stares on the highway ?!
An Isuzu Trooper pulling a B5200,FEL with backhoe on a 8' X 16' tandem car trailer ! THANK GOD THOSE ELECTRIC BRAKES NEVER FAILED !!!!
The biggest point to remember today, most states are requiring brakes, whether surge or electric on ALL axles of trailer sizes of 16' or bigger. Personally speaking, the brakes are fantastic. Keep in mind that the longer the trailer, the farther back the trailer axles are from the pivot point of your hitch. With this in mind, the longer the trailer, typically, the easier it is to back up into tight spaces,(providing good eyesight), and enough clearance from obstacles.

I increased my spring capacity from 7000GVWR to 10000GVWR. By doing so, not only did it allow for better clearance,(about an additional 2.5 inches), it also gave the trailer a better ride.

Willie H. ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-30          52179

Okay I take it back on my weight. The manual says my Kubota B6200 weighs 1080 stripped. Add 400 for the FEL and 400 for each calcium load that's 1880. Add 40 pounds each for the extra wheels unloaded, that's 1960 pounds. Add 40 pounds for the full tank of deisel that's a cool 2000.

I think my 6 x 12 trailer is plenty enough for a 2000 pound load! ....

Trailer Size

View my Photos
steviej

2003-03-30          52198

Well,I'll be borrowing my neighbors 8X16 car hauler to go to Wiconsin this weekend to pick up my new/used BX2200, FEL and 60'mmm. I'll let you know how the S-10 works with this combination on a 675 mile jaunt back to Western NY. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login