Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mobil 1

View my Photos
vettman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-24          51765

I have reviewed several engine oil-related threads on this board, but a quick couple of questions, please. I've been using Mobil 1, 10W-30 in my G1800 for the past two seasons. Total hours around 600, and I haven't experienced any problems--at least none that I'm aware of. I'm thinking about putting Mobil 1 in the old B6000 (26 yrs. old, 625 hrs, and doesn't use any oil). Anyone care to comment on making this move to Mobil 1, and/or care to make another recommendation. Because of low use on the B6000, I change oil every 6 months, regardless of hours.

Thanks,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mobil 1

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-24          51769

As far as I am concerned, synthetics do everything better. The only downside is the price, but even that comes back to you in engine longevity. ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-24          51771

I use mobil 1 in my Chrysler Concorde and now it has 276,000 miles on it. I use Mobil 1 in my Dodge Dakota and now it has 265,000 miles on it.

Any questions?

I am prepared to prove this information at any time. If you don't believe me tell me and I'll send you photos. I still drive these 2 vehicles all the time. ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
BUSBOY

2003-03-24          51781

I would make sure of two things.First I wouldn't use any synthetic oil until after the engine was fully broken in. The piston rings need a certain period of time for the rings to seat and a synthetic oil has been known to prevent this.Secondly I would make sure that whatever oil I used in my diesel engine was API rated for diesels. There will be a star symbol on the bottle that should say SH/CG-4. The C in the rating stands for compression ignition (diesel). The S stands for spark ignition (gas). Not all oils are rated for both.Just for ya'lls info. BUSBOY ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
BUSBOY

2003-03-24          51782

One more note,Anyone who changes oil every six months regardless of hours must own stock in Exxon.It is a complete waste of money to do this! The same goes for those who fall for the quick change lube industries' propaganda telling everyone that they need to change their oil in their automobiles every 3,0000 miles.They are laughing all the way to the bank! People please read your owners manuals!What would be the motivation for a manufacturer to recommend an oil change interval that was harmful to their product and their reputation? I'm bracing myself for all the shade tree mechanics to reply and "straighten me out". ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-24          51786

I'll put it this way BUSBOY. I don't know of a single engine ruined by changing the oil too often.

It's not like a person is gonna go broke by spending and extra $12/$15 a year on an oil change. Myself, I think on a tractor, once a year or every 200 hours. Then again that all depends on how and where it's used. The same goes for trains, planes and automobiles. ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-24          51789

Every time I change the oil and I smell iron rust in the oil and see carbon and slime and droplets of water and see the oil is jet black, and I fill the case with slick new oil, I know I'm doing a good thing to my engine.

People who don't change their oil, please don't try to sell your ruined machine to me. ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2003-03-24          51791

The good feeling I get when I drain out the filthy oil and put in new slippery oil, it's sort of the same feeling I get when I go to the bathroom and squeeze out the bad stuff, and go to the kitchen and replace it with a drink of clean water and eat new food. ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
STEVEM

2003-03-24          51792

I have been using synthetics in my vehicles for about 25 years. My opinoin is that most synthitcs today are very simalar. The one time I had a negitive experince was when the valve seals were bad, the oil was so thin it drained into the cylinder. I changed to 30wt oil and it quit smoking after idling. If you use a synthitic and extend your drain interivals, be sure to use the best filter possible such as a Mobile 1. I even change my filter half way through the drain interival.
I had a 79 Volvo that I bought new, it had over 425k miles on it when I gave it away. The only time it didn't have synthetics in it was during breakin.
I would be sure to use an oil that is for a diesel engine such as 10w40 amisoil. ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
dsg

2003-03-25          51838

Delvac 1 made by Mobil for diesels is the best Synthetic oil on the market (IMHO), I've got over 1600 hrs. on two machines over the last 5-yrs. and never a problem.

David ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
vettman

2003-03-25          51844

David... Where's a good place to purchase Delvac 1; I've heard good reports on this oil from others, too.
John ....

Mobil 1

View my Photos
dsg

2003-03-25          51855

Vettman; I buy it at the local Napa, I would think most Auto
stores would have it. It's about $25 a gallon but well worth it.

David ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login