Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
RichardD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-21          49740

Can anyone tell me where the block heater goes on my bx1800? I seem to have found a plug on the upper right side front of the engine, but I do not know if I am right or how to get it out.
Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-22          49759

There was a thread here not long ago where it turned out that a block heater was intended to be installed in a lower rad hose.

I imagine you got the block heater from a Kubota dealer and it's right for the 1800. The heater discussed came with instructions, and if your didn't maybe the dealer can help.

If it's intended to be installed in a freeze plug hole, I'd be certain it's the right heater and that you've identified a freeze plug. Most look sort of like flat bowls turned over and shoved into a hole. It might be good to have a new plug as backup because taking one out usually ruins it. Motors, Chilton and Haynes type auto manuals describe how to remove and install freeze plugs. The easiest way I've heard is to drill a hole in the centre of the plug for a self-tapping screw and then pull it out using a slide hammer.

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-22          49761

Thanks Tom.
It did come with instructions, and based on what you are telling me, I found the right spot. I am a little leary of drilling into the plug to get it out. I will have to remove the muffler. If I could, I would love to use a magnetic one if it would do the job. I could return this one. ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-23          49803

Richard: You might not need a heater at all depending on where you are. Newer diesel designs start much easier than old farm tractors--some old JD's even had a starter fluid injection system built onto the engine from the factory. Generally such things aren't needed now, and of course, ether should never be used in a diesel with a pre-heating system.

I tend not to use my block heater unless the temp is below 10F. It starts without a heater below that but I reason that a bit of warming is easier on the engine.

The thing about diesels is that the upper cylinder areas have to be hot before they'll start. A coolant heater gets some heat to upper engine areas while oil heaters such as magnetic types don't do much. Magnetic heaters mostly thin the oil, which isn't really necessary given newer split weight and synthetic oils. I do have several magnetic heaters that I put on the hydraulic oil sump when it gets really cold. They probably don't do much, and my multi--season hydraulic oil probably is what really does the job.

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-23          49804

I am in Southern NY. This winter really has been an exception temperature wise.
I felt a block heater would reduce the strain on the engine at startup. It started real hard when it was 10 - 15 degrees, though it did start. I had to crank it a bit after letting the glow plug do its thing, and I saw a good amount of black smoke.
I think I don't need it, per se, but I am trying to reduce wear on the engine. I figured for $55 it was worth it. The install is tricky though. ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-23          49809

Yes, 'better for the engine' is the main reason I use mine. When it gets real cold here (we've had a week of -30F lows recently) it seldom snows so fortunately there's little reason to start the tractor in those temperatures.

Myself, I've always hated working on anything to do with mufflers or exhaust manifolds so I understand. You might think about a heater that goes in a lower rad hose. I don't think they're as efficient as block heater types (but many make up for it by using larger wattage heaters. As long as the lower rad hose angles up from the rad to engine, heat will siphon up through the engine rather than the rad. However, these type heaters may not do much to warm the rear cylinders.

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-23          49831

Richard, how far do you open the throttle on the cold morning starts? ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-23          49866

I open it about half way. That is what is says in the manual. ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-23          49872

Just wondered......... that's what I do on my BX. I am running synthetic oil, Shell Rotella at the moment, and it seems to fire right up, even after a 15 degree night.

BTW, my brother in Anchorage has had a Kubota for about ten years now. He uses battery blankets, magnetic heaters synthetic oils and a little heat tape, and he has not had a problem starting his tractor. ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-24          49941

Mark:
What is the advantage of the synthetic? What weight do I use? I have never used synthetic in anything so I need some direction. Does it not gunk up in the cold?
Thanks.
RichardD ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-24          49942

The advantages: It flows down to -55 degrees (depending on the formulation) and resists thermal breakdown at crankcase temps that turn regular oil into black goop.

It does everything better than "dino-oil"; exceeds it in every regard except price. It is more expensive.

I think your owners manual(and mine) calls for a 10w-30 or 10w-40 oil with a service classification of CD,CE or CF.

You don't have to look any farther than Mobil 1 as it exceeds all those specs. There are several other very good choices out there.

John Deere has recently introduced a partial-synthetic (a mixture of synthetic and natural mineral oils) and has recommended extending the oil change intervals by 50 percent on diesels using their improved oil.

Bottom line: more expensive, but engines run cleaner, start easier, last longer and are better protected using a proper grade of synthetic oil. ....

bx1800 block heater

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-25          49995

Thanks. I just did an oil change on Sat, using regular 10w-30, though if they predict real cold again, I will put in the synthetic. Thanks for the info.
Rich ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login