Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
stemmler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-19          49521

I am getting ready to purchase either the Bx2200 or the B7500 tractor with loader. Is the B7500 worth the extra $3,000. Will be using the tractor to plow snow and do general mainantence work, ie. moving gravel for driveway and yard work around the house. Any thoughts would be appriciated.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
Henro_

2003-02-19          49563

HI,

I started looking at a bx22 last summer and ended up with a b2910...so keep that in mind...

If grass cutting is not your primary worry, then the b7500 offers greater ground clearance and a slightly bigger tractor. I think the loader can do a little more and the engine may be a little bigger, and perhaps more importantly, develops rated HP and PTO rpm at something like 2600 rpm, rather than 3200 or so on the BX. Knew the details better when shopping...

Whether the b7500 is worth the extra cash depends, I guess, on how much that extra cash means to you. To me, it would be worth it to go to the B7500. But then I couldn't stop till I ended up with the B2910...so...

Good luck in your decision. Some say the BX2200 is a better grass cutter, but I can tell you even my B2910 does a fair job grass cutting.

And remember the old saying that, when it comes to tractors, few want to trade down, but many do trade up to bigger tractors!

Bill ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
littlediesel

2003-02-19          49570

I currently own a BX2200 and B2910. I did own a B7500 but traded it for the B2910. This is what I have learned. The BX2200 is the best grass cutting machine. The quality of the cut is beautiful. However, the B2910 also cuts grass very good. The B7500 grass cutting was very poor. The deck design has too many wheels which made alot of wheel prints.
For grass cutting and light chores the BX2200 is a great machine. ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-02-19          49571

I too started looking at the BX2200 vs the B7500.....and ended up with a B7800. It is the econo version of the 2910 and I am now sure I would have been uncomfortable on the BX2200. I do however wonder what the rest of you guys with 2710/2910's think of getting the 72" deck for the 7800. There is plenty of power but I wonder what you "users" think.
If I had to choose between the BX2200 and the 7500 I would probably get the 2200. I believe the 7500 is underpowered for much loader work and any intense PTO use.

Just my thoughts. ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
stemmler

2003-02-20          49599

Thanks for all of your help. Now I have to make another decision. I came across a BX1800 with loader that is available for sale. We have not discussed price but it is certainly an option, if the price is right. Any thoughts on what would be a good price for this machine would be. Approx. 1 1/2 years old. I know the resale value will be less since, it does not handle a backhoe attachment. Any help would be most appriciated.
Thanks ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-20          49611

You are right, the only BX rated for a backhoe is the BX22.

I get the impression Kubota might be offering some dealer incentives on the BX1800, so check your used price when you get it against the new prices offered by big dealers on the internet.

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
buzst1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-20          49619

Keep in mind that at at "normal" operating rpm the bx1800 will only get you about 2hp over what you currently have with your b5100. Both the bx1800 and bx2200,while great machines achieve their high HP rating at over 3000 rpm. Most tractor Mfg (including kubota on the other tractors) rate their machines at around 2600rpm. The engine in the bx1800 is also used in the b7400 and considered 16hp at 2900 rpm. The bx2200 engine was used in the b1700 and promoted as a 17HP at 2600 rpm.
Good luck on your decision, as all the models are really good tractors. Its just a shame that kubota can't give us better data to compare their machines. ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-22          49772

I own a bx1800 with 60" mmm and fel. It is a great machine. The only thing I noticed was that I must use lo range on my hill behind my house, though it is very steep, 20 degrees and more, and of course the 4wd. My motto on the hill is "4 lo, or don't go". I feel very safe on it, in that setup.
Bush Hog does make a backhoe they claim can be used on the bx1800, and the bx 2200. It is their smallest one, the model 665, and it is a 3pt mount. Check out www.bushhog.com to find a dealer. The previous model was the 662, and you may be able to find one.
For working around my property - cutting grass, hauling stuff, loader work, this is the perfect size and power. I've also used one of those cone type pto log splitters on the 3pt, and it worked well.
I paid 11300 for a demo with 8 hrs on it in March '02, delivered to NY from SC.
Good luck with the search. ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-22          49781

For general yard work around the house the BX2200 would probably be fine. I wouldn't count on it to plow a lot of snow. I would consider a snowblower attachment instead. Trouble is once you get a small tractor, all these other projects come up that you never anticipated. In most instances you find it to be too small for your newfound ability. As suggested by others the B7800/B2910 are a great place to start. Even those really aren't great snow plowing machines. In Maine everybody uses an old rusty 4X4 yard truck. Then the FEL is handy to move the piles around! Have fun looking!
Pacesetter ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-23          49805

For a tractor under warranty it would be good to check with a dealer to find out if damage from the use of any 3ph hoe is covered under warranty. Bush hog and Kubota may have different ideas about what's appropriate for a particular tractor and Bush Hog may not be eager to repair a tractor with broken cases. I have a 3ph hoe and it has done my occasional light-duty work just fine over four years, but there are plenty of stories about 3ph hoes breaking tractors.

In looking for small hoes for small tractors, I imagine that the 3ph models a hoe manufacturer would recommend may be very small to reduce the stress they put on the tractor. Such a hoe wouldn't dig very deep, much of a reach and may have a limited range of swing for dumping. For some projects the depths of excavations and trenches is determined by codes. A hoe that couldn't dig deep enough wouldn't be useful for such jobs. It's a good idea to check out the codes for things like trench depths required for electrical and water etc. before looking at hoes just to make sure that they'll do the work needed.

It's also good to know that a 6' hoe is supposed to be able to dig a 2' length of trench at 6' but that means the 2' has to be close to the tractor. A small hoe may not be able to dig then centre of a wide excavation to depth.

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-23          49816

What kind of damage has resulted from the backhoes? Is it another one of those "trying to make it do something it can't" stories or is it a real worry? ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-23          49822

Richard, When you go to the chiropractor, they twist your shoulders clockwise and your hips counter-clockwise.

Then a little trap in the table drops, or they push on your knee and a whole bunch of stuff in between those stress points starts crackling, popping and shifting.

That is what a three point mounted backhoe can do to a "spine" of a tractor. You drop the FEL bucket to the ground and lower the stabilizers on the hoe to set up the counter-twist.

Then you pound the hoe bucket with the digging motions and something goes pop!!

Sub-frames tie the "shoulders" and "hips" of the tractor together so they cannot be twisted in opposite directions.

It is these and other stresses that cause the bolts or mounting flanges between driveline components to shear and fail. ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
RichardD

2003-02-23          49824

Can a sub-frame be added to a bx1800?
If not,I guess I should really think twice before putting a light duty backhoe on my bx1800.... ....

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-23          49830

I don't know of any sub-frame engineered for the BX series.

When Kubota engineers set about to adapt the BX to take a B/H the ended up adding 220 pounds of extra frame to accommodate the stresses.

That is a weight increase of 15 percent, and in most places the basic frame of the tractor doubled in thickness.

The actual B/H mountings on the BX22 are 1 inch thick slabs of steel, and keep in mind the B/H is scaled down from Kubota's normal 6.5 foot B/H to a 6 foot device.

I would not mount a B/H, no matter how small, on the three point hitch of any 1300 pound tractor. Period.

Bx2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-24          49879

I pretty much agree with Mark. My Ford weighs 3,000 lbs. with loader and my 6' 3ph hoe is not a particularly strong one.

I wanted to say that hoes of all types can put tremendous stress on a tractor. If digging with the boom and stick stretched out there is huge leverage on the tractor, and all that several thousands plus breakout force of the bucket curl goes right up the top-link into compression on the top-link bracket. The effect is to try and jack-knife the tractor at its case joints. A sub-frame is better but is no guarantee against damage to a tractor. The design of a tractor is for pulling things.

Never the less, operating technique has a lot to do with how much stress a hoe applies to a tractor. Moving big rocks or breaking roots with the hoe stretched out creates high stress, but a hoe doesn't have to be used like that. Granted, it is a little tough when a big rock is found in a trench that's barely in reach to stop and move the tractor closer, dig around it some and then move it with a pry bar. It's even tougher to realize that a hoe just might not be up to a problem.

Hoe use can be kept fairly low stress, but manufacturers aren't going to accept responsibility for anything an operator might do, so they just don't recommend hoes for some tractors. Operators can accept their own responsibility and accept the risk that maybe someday they'll get carried away and forget that their hoes can break their tractors. It's understandable that manufacturers aren't going to underwrite the risks and warranty anything anybody may do.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login