Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
deerefan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-06          48811

I have a question for all you experts out there. Kubota in their infinite wisdom shipped my 7800 to the dealer with R-4 rears and Turf Fronts. (Probably just a guy on the dock goofed). Anyway, will it hurt the drivetrain to run it as shipped? It would be nice to have R-4's on the rear in winter but I am afraid with it in 4WD it will hurt the drivetrain. The measurements appear to have the R-4's smaller than turfs and I wonder if it will "Bind" the transmission up. I would order the Turf rears for summer and mowing but I thought this would save money on a complete extra set of tires and rims.

PS-I am really impressed with the 7800. I think it will steal a lot of business from other makes.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-06          48813

I would have one type or the other, and I think the dealer/Kubota should fix it.
FYI, I just bought a complete new set of "bar-turf" tires and rims for my BX for $296.00 ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-02-07          48826

I liked the looks of the bar/turfs but I am not aware if they are available for the 7800. The dealer said Kubota is fixing the problem. ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-07          48832

I think I'd verify with the dealer that the tires are a recommended factory tire set that are compatible with the range of speced front axle lead and will not compromise warranty coverage. I'd also get tire pressure recommendations for the tire set. Allowable front axle leads often can accommodate a fair range of tire sizes, but marginal leads sometimes can be brought within specs by changing tire pressures.

I would keep in mind that the turf tires will flatten out under load much more than the R4's. The result is that heavy loader work would shift traction to the front drive more than other tire configurations and may add to wear and tear. Proper ballast (mentioned in the secret specs thread) would manage that particular issue.

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-07          48834

Deere/bota/fan, I should have been clearer, I was trying to give you an idea how much Kubota charges for tires and rims if you wanted that extra set(very cheap compared to Deere).

I did not think you could match the type or style of tires from the BX to a 7800.

Anyway, if I am reading the sale brochure correctly, your R4's on the 7800 are radials. Cool. Your will like them. They ride better and the tread doesn't cake up as much with mud and such. I wish I could convert the BX to radials. ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-02-07          48846

Mark,
Now don't go changing my name around. :) I am and always will be loyal to the 2 Cyl. Deeres and the JD 110 Lawn Tractor. I may buy Orange but I still love the old Putt Putt's. I wonder if the bar/turfs are available for the 7800 though. Anyone out there have any idea?

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
Art White

2003-02-07          48848

The B-7800 is offered with Ag tires, turf tires and industrial. They are not offering any bar turfs as of yet. When we get in tires and wheels they come in different loads than the tractors. It does happen that we might have a miss match. That is do to the assembly people but we do hope to catch them before they leave the yard. The industrail tires are not listed in my books as being radial. ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-02-07          48852

Thanks Art!! I was waiting on your response to the availability of bar/turfs. ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-07          48853

Art, your are right, I misread the sales brochure.

It says 23x8.50-14R4/12.4 -16R4 and I thought, at first glance, the R meant Radial as it does in truck tires. ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-08          48868

I've wondered about the 'R' codes for tires too. My repair manual also lists tires identified with F's and G's.

Good chance that the codes originally meant front, rear and general. With 4wd, most owners probably want the same type of tread front and rear so manufacturers probably started calling everything R-tires because the fronts were now drive tires too and gave the R's numbers to identify tread type. Just me guessing though.

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
Art White

2003-02-08          48872

Tom, F is for Firestone and G is for Goodyear! ....

Tire Sizing on B7800

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-08          48875

Art: Just goes to show how much trouble guessing can get you into--although I not 100% certain that I'm not being put on. If so, I probably deserve it for one reason or another anyway. I'll take it as a good answer but stop short of thinking that R means Royal.

It is curious that my 1710 owner's manual lists R3 fronts but no such tire is in the repair manual. The repair manual lists only G and F front tires, and tires don't seem to be in the parts manual at all. I'm thinking that tires are the dealers' business so maybe the factory manual can be expected to be a bit confused.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login