Go Bottom Go Bottom

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
buzst1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-23          48023

I just bought a kubota block heater part #70000-73274 for my b2150. The install instructions say to unthread a plug in the engine block with a 17mm allen wrench and replace with the heater. Sounds like it should be a simple install but I can not find the location on the engine where the threaded plug is located. My dealer didn't know either. Does anyone know where this should go?
Thanks...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-24          48063

That is a pretty big allen wrench, nearly a 3/4 inch. That should be fairly easy to spot if it is there. The location would be low on the engine block (not the head or oil pan) and would tap straight into a water(coolant)jacket. Might also be disguised as a coolant drain for the engine block. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
buzst1

2003-01-24          48086

Mark,
Thanks for the reply, as I said, It looked like it should be a real simple installation.... I'm beginning to think I have the wrong part (though I did check the dealers parts book and this is the # that kubota specs) and should have a
heater that presses in in place of a freeze plug. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-25          48102

I'm with MarkH on this one (and most others too). A plug with that takes a 17mm allen key to remove on a block should be easy enough to find. I think it's a thing that the dealer should be able to sort out with their regional rep. I would copy down all the info on the tractor's ID plate and also look for an engine code on the block. Engine codes are often part of the castings on blocks.

Parts manuals sometimes can be complicated. Mine gives different part numbers for the same part for tractors manufactured in different years. There are different numbers for parts on tractors manufactured for sale in different global regions. There are notes and references to upgrades, tech notes etc.

A dealer should be able to sort it out if they know exactly what tractor it's for. A repair manual should identify the procedure and location unless the heater is considered a dealer installed option. Even then if I was having that sort of problem, I'd expect that my dealer's service manager would take the time to look up the procedure and tell me where to find the allen plug if it exists.

It should be clear from a drawing in the parts manual if the heater is intended for a freeze plug or a threaded port. There are occasionally some differences in the parts pictured and those delivered under the same part number. However, I can't imagine that the difference between something pressed and something threaded wouldn't rate different parts numbers.

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
craig56

2003-01-25          48109

I want to know how much the allen wrench costs. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
buzst1

2003-01-27          48260

My dealer came thru with the location for the heater. There are two hoses that come out the bottom of the radiator. The solution is to cut the smaller hose near the radiator and plug it. Then remove the plug, that the hose was attached to, from the engine block and replace with the heater. I'm not sure I like the idea of having a pluged hose dangeling from the bottom of the radiator. What do you guys think? ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-27          48263

Sounds kinda screwy. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-28          48308

I recall a discussion awhile back about a twin return hose rad but I can't recall if it was Kubota of JD. I seem to remember there was an odd cooling problem that can happen and one of the hoses was disconnected. My recollection could be off here, but if that's right then maybe the heater and plugged hose (that shouldn't dangle) may not be so bad.

Does sound kind of screwy but it's kind of difficult to second guess a dealer who's sold the part and come up the procedure for installing it. Difficult to second guess design as well. On many engines there would be a passage from the lower hose port up the front of the engine, through the water pump, and out the exhaust manifold back to the rad. The thermostat would block the passage when it's closed. However, that would provide a path for heated water to siphon back to the rad rather than through the block unless the upper hose angles down from the engine to the rad. Granted this issue is more of theoretical than practical interest.

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
buster

2003-01-29          48365

I just installed a block heater in my 2150 last week. And yes you do cut the small hose coming out of the radiator and permanantly plug it. Secure the remaining length of the hose with a zip tie. The fitting is on the lower right side of the block, and is a pipe thread fitting, about 1". It is NOT a allen wrench type fitting, it has a raised boss on it, with the nipple for the small hose in it. It is tight to get to, you can't quite get a pipe wrench on it, and channel locks don't do it either. After cogitating on it for some time I took a cold chisel, and with a hammer tapped on the fitting boss, counterclockwise of course, it loosened up and pliers did the rest. The heater itself is a pipe thread fitting with a little heater element, real simple, and very effective. Not knowing your level of mechanical expertise I don't know how alarmed you'll be by the thought of beating on your 'bota's block with a cold chisel. In my case, after wasting time making a special wrench to work on the oddball fitting (which didn't) I went to the cold chisel method, well known by shade tree mechanics as a last resort for stubborn nuts, all it took was a few taps to jar it loose, and a couple minutes later the job was complete. Piece of cake!
Tom ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
morgan

2003-01-30          48392

I could use a block heater this time of year, been -10 lately.

What heats the block heater? Is it electrical amd plugs in the wall? Not much good on a farm unless your barn has electricity, you'd have to park the tractor near the house. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-30          48394

I was wondering about the Allen key myself.

Seems like all sorts of to me odd 'grabber fits everything' type wrenches are popping up at box stores lately. I stick to my traditional open ended/box wrenches but maybe one of the new gadget wrenches would work. I still have my cold chisels and nut-splitters for traditional approaches but seldom have found their use anything but an agony. A two-tap solution would be heaven for me many times when a torch wasn't a good idea.

Block heaters plug into the wall. I only run mine for several hours so a long run of heavy-duty extension cord or even a generator might work. Running the block heater plus battery blanket and maybe a magnetic heater may challenge a long run of even heavy duty extension cord though. One of the first things I did here was run 30A underground lines to all the outbuildings. It's tough enough to work on a tractor in an unheated dirt-floor shed but nearly impossible without electricity. Well, it's -20F here and I'd probably have to bring the generator inside or argue with it a lot. Electrifying the outbuildings was very good. Fortunately I seldom have to start the tractor in these temperatures.

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
buzst1

2003-01-30          48408

Tom,
Thanks for the reply, you have at least confirmed that the location my dealer suggested is correct. I guess I'm still curious:
1.)why the hose was important enough to be designed into the tractor but can be removed with no ill effects in order to install the heater?
2.)why introduce an other point of possible failure by plugging a hose that goes nowhere?
thanks again... ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-30          48409

That is why it sounded screwy to me. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
tractorman

2003-02-01          48518

We have been selling magnetic block heaters which you can attach to to the oil pan. There is no installation, they work great and are inexpensive. The large allen head plugs on the Kubota's can be lots of fun to remove. ....

Block Heater for B2150

View my Photos
tractorman

2003-02-01          48519

check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11756&item=3309240452 ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login