Go Bottom Go Bottom

Too good to be true Need help

View my Photos
Petrops
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-08          47179

I was just about to plunk down a deposit on a used L35 today when I found a very nicely priced 1998 with 3 (three) hrs. The current owner ( a car dealiership) says they bought it from a financing company in a large lot made up mostly of used cars. He has very little background on it but beleives that the financing co probably financed this thing and had to repo it, and that it just sat after the repo. Says there is not a scratch on it and that the paint is just a bit faded.

I contacted Kubota through a local dealer and there is no info on this other than the fact that it was purchased in 1988. The dealer said that this is generally a red flag but that they really couldn't invest the time to do a lot more digging. The serial # is L3564378 and I am wondering if there is any way to get additional info on this rig. If it is stolen I want nothing to do with it.

Thanks a lot

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-08          47192

Well now........the question we must ask ourselves is the 3 hours believable? Honestly, I don't beleive it. 3 hours in 12 years???? NO WAY JOSE. ....

View my Photos
Petrops

2003-01-08          47194

Good point Jeff. My mistake on the date. I had it as a 1988 when it is really a 1998! ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-01-08          47203

It may not be the original hour meter. ....

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2003-01-09          47214

I would find out who the finance co. is and call them!I'm sure if they repoed the tractor,they would have the info you may need. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-09          47215

If it seems like a real good deal it might be worth an hour with a lawyer to inform yourself about the law where you are. In general, stolen property always goes back to the owner and if a subsequent buyer has a bill of sale, their only alternative is to settle or sue who they bought it from. That's a little more comfortable if it's a dealer than a private sale but still can be messy. It's also true for outstanding debt. A buyer inherits any out standing debt. Buyers are responsible for ensuring free titles. I don't know if local police keep hot sheets for tractors like for licensed motor vehicles or if there are now national data bases of stolen equipment. Local police would know.

There is the question of why a car dealer would buy a tractor from a finance company. Who knows, but in addition to the ownership issues, maybe a mechanical evaluation would be good.

I'm a bit familiar with these issues having been an independent in both motorcycle and sound/lighting businesses. Stolen and debt-ridden stuff was everywhere as well as broke owners. I once bought a pair of stage monitors from a singer. I drove her to the music store where she was still making payments and she paid them off with my cash right there. Seems like an unsociable thing to do but she understood very well 'cause she'd been in the music buz awhile. ....

View my Photos
Petrops

2003-01-09          47237

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is what I have uncovered. I contacted the local Kubota dealer and they took a look at the rig (for a modest fee). They report that it was sold in May of 1999 and that it looks to be absolutely new, and to run perfectly. They did suggest running it for an hour and then doing a complete fluids change. They offered to buy it and to ship it to me for $500 less than I was able to negotiate on my own. This means that I will buy an appraised 1998 L35 with 3 hrs from a Kubota dealer for $24,000 plus shipping.

I still want to check with the finance company (great suggestion) and to confirm one inconsistency:

I was told that this particular rig was sold in May of 1999 and had 2 service claims: 1 at 1 hr 0ne at 1 hour on 10/21/99 and another at 11 hrs on 11/11/99 which is inconsistent with the stated hours on the meter today (3).

First of all it seems crazy that the thing had a service call at 1 hr and that the call was 5 months (but only 1 hr)after purchase. Secondly it is concerning to see a record of warranty service at 11 hrs when the meter is reported to read only 3 hrs today, Anyone know if this makes any sense?

Thanks ....

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-09          47238

That tractor has a new hour meter. This whole deal smells like a dead skunk on a tuna boat. Somebody is not telling the truth. Run from this deal......Fast. ....

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2003-01-10          47266

If this tractor only has 3 hrs,the oil should still be breakin oil,send sample off and check for type.$24,000 is quite a large amout of change to guess with! ....

View my Photos
zedosix

2003-01-10          47270

Just a thought, is it possible the mechanic read 1.1 hrs, not 11. Check if the hour meter has tenths. Seems to be the only other way someone could read 11. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-10          47272

Is this a L35TLB or a L35TL? If it's a TLB, it's good price. TL, run away.

Billy ....

View my Photos
Petrops

2003-01-10          47292

I guess I now have to say: If it sounds too good to be true... it USUALLY is.

Thanks to lots of ideas and help from folks like you, I got in touch with the original dealership that sold this tractor. He was instantly familiar with this tractor. They confirmed that it was bought by a guy through a leasing company. The leasing company did not pay for the tractor in full so the dealer did not release it. The leasing company refused to pay the balance ($2000.) and so did the buyer. The leasing company started billing the buyer the monthly payment and the buyer refused to pay. Everyone sued each other and eventually the leasing company went out of business. A capital company bought the assets of the leasing company, paid off the balance owed to the dealer and put the tractor up for auction. It was bought by a car dealer along with a bunch of used cars b/c he knew someone who wanted it. He didn't know them well enough cause they backed out of the deal. He advertised it, I saw it and called him. The rest is history. To top it off the dealer that inspected it for me (what a great guy this guy is... I will reveal his name and dealership with his approval) is buying it from the car dealer, selling it to me from the dealership, and putting it on a trailer for me. He says: "When the trailer gets there if you like it have him unload it and send me a check. If you don't want it send it back"

Someone pinch me!

Thanks to everyone for their help, cautions and encouragement.

Jack

BTW
Zedosix: I agree with your thought about 1.1 hrs not 11 ...thanks
Billy P.: It is a TLB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login