Go Bottom Go Bottom

L3000

View my Photos
SammyC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-18          46283

Just a city boy here that has recently moved to the country. I have been shopping for a compact tractor. Have no clue what I'm doing but I'm learning. I'm trying to get the most for my money so.. I started with looking at and pricing the L3000 and also looked at the Deere 790 and the NH tc30 Well I liked them all but guess what? None of them will work for me as they will not fit in the garage. The rops on all of them is solid and all of the dealers say they cannot install or order one with folding rops. I guess that's one of the drawbacks on a discount model huh?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L3000

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-19          46285

Kioti offers folding ROPS. They appear to be about the same quality as the more well known brands, but are quite a bit cheaper.

L3000

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-19          46293

My Ford 1710 wouldn't fit in our garage either. A temporary solution was a 14' x 25' arctic shelter tent with an all season cover. Good thing the tractor wouldn't fit because my small engine flock took over the garage. The implement collection also didn't take long to spill out from the tent to plain old tarps in the yard. A basic rule of tractor owning is that the shed is never big enough.

The temporary tent solution has been going on now for almost five years. I guess it worked OK. It's a good thing the tent lasted longer than I thought it would because I would have built a way too small shed. Acquisitions are a bit calmer now and I might be able to build an adequate shed. It would be good to reclaim the garage and get tarps out of the yard. Maybe my wife's car might get a chance for the garage.

L3000

View my Photos
larry

2002-12-19          46298

Cub Cadet has folding ROPS also ....

L3000

View my Photos
SammyC

2002-12-19          46301

Thanks guys for the good suggestions... I did think about the kioti and researched it on the net.... but the closest dealer is just too far away. The tent story cracks me up. I can picture your yard. :-> I don't think my wife would be as tolerant as yours is... I'm amazed that she has agreed to share the garage with a tractor. She has always had the whole garage to herself and my truck sits outside. I have been rethinking my tractor purchase and think I may just size down a bit. Really looking hard at the 7500 since all I'm really going to do with it is mow and maybe move a bit of snow out of the driveway. And thanks for the cub cadet suggestion.. I'll check into that... Sam... ....

L3000

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-19          46328

Sammy,

I feel your pain, LOL. I have a 30 X 30 garage with a 16ft wide by 7 foot high main door and next to it a 9ft wide 8ft high door for my boat. Since the boat will NOT sit outside nor will my tractor, I poured a 6inch thick 20 x 25 slab and built a gambrel roof garage with a 9ft high door behind my main garage. Everyone is a happy camper now. Boat and tractor/backhoe are doing fine and just love being inside. An expensive solution but worth every penny. ....

L3000

View my Photos
SammyC

2002-12-20          46336

Jeff I know exactly what your saying. I've priced some pole barns exactly for that reason. I love that type of roof you put on your barn. I have a 12 X 16 mini barn with that same style roof. I also have a couple small hog buildings that I use for the dogs and storage. I just don't want another building in the yard and also on the tax rolls. So I'm fighting the urge....I've manufactured enough reasons to buy the tractor but putting up a building that will cost more than the tractor goes agains my (wifes) logic. :-) So I guess I will drag my feet a bit longer. By the way is there any certain time of year that Kubota seems to apply discounts or rebates to their tractors? Sam... ....

L3000

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-20          46341

ART White would know rhat answer to that question, but I think they start around Margh and end in June. ....

L3000

View my Photos
Jim J.

2002-12-20          46376

I bought a new L3000 this past May and it has a foldable ROPS. That doesn't matter because the turf tires I have on it allow it to fit into my garage with a couple inches to spare with the ROPS extended. Are you sure the L3000 isn't available with the foldable ROPS?

By the way, I love my L3000 4wd. Pull a 6' woods rear deck and mow some serious acreage with serious hills. Good luck. ....

L3000

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-20          46378

your right...a welder, a saw-all, some angle iron and that ROPS would be FOLDABLE in a Saturday afternoon. ....

L3000

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-20          46380

Sammy,

How much you money you think I got in my 20x25 barn? ITS way cheaper than you think if you build it yourself.

Concrete 10 yards finished it my self.... 950
25 Gambrel trusses........1000
90 ten foot 2x4s.............180
28 sheets of 4x8 USB board.......140
10 square of shingles..........250
1 9x8 garage door..............400
8 square of vinyl siding........320
1 service door..................100
2 windows........................200
Totsl with nails, tarpaper, tax, permits,,,,,,,,,,3900

That aint too bad if you can build it yourself. way cheaper than tractor. The upstairs ( 25x10 )is being used for MEGA storage for my fishing and hunting stuff. ....

L3000

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-21          46387

One of these dang legalistic points: It should be said that any drilling, welding or modification of a ROPS can void warranty or insurance coverage. I think some owners' manuals make the point specifically. Too bad that legalistic things are an unavoidable part of life even if they may make little sense. ....

L3000

View my Photos
SammyC

2002-12-22          46433

Wow all the dealers I talked said no way can you get foldable rops on the L3000 or the 790 or the New Holland 30. Wish I was talented enough to build my own barn but I'm one of those that can't really drive a nail straight. Reference the liability on the rops. That's exactly what the some of the dealers told me. That they wouldn't dare mess with an original part and modify it. Said it wouldn't be worth the risk of liability and especially no more than they make on these basic tractors. Sam.... :-> ....

L3000

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-22          46436

My tent solution cost around 1,300 $CDN. My wife and I put it up in an afternoon, and no nails required. Somebody here more recently had a similar problem and located a Quonset type structure that might be more permanent.

Neither would likely be as good as a shed but they're much better than tinkering with engines outside the middle of winter. Getting a tractor out of the wind also makes for easier winter starting.

The tent didn't take a building permit around here and maybe Quonset wouldn't either. The tent didn't create problems with municipal bylaws and didn't affect tax assessments.

L3000

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-22          46456

HEY Sammy,

I quit DRIVING nails by hand years ago because the bursitis was driving me crazy. I went to the pawn shop and bought CHEAPLY a Hitachi air framer and a Porter Cable coil roofing nailer. Seems the pawn shops have a ton of air tools and you can name your price. If you got those tools, you and 2 buddies can have it done in 2 weekends. Building a barn is not jet propulsion science. ....

L3000

View my Photos
Joe in VA

2003-01-09          47210

Sammy,
I've got a Kubota L3000DT without foldable ROPS, but when I bought it, the dealer said they could added as an option. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login