Go Bottom Go Bottom

B7500 Good Complement for 8N

View my Photos
Dunford
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-18          46280

Would a B7500 be a good complement for an 8N??? I would by the L272 loader with it... Not for big digging but clean up and such... I can use the 3pt dirt scoop for digging on the 8N... Many dealers have told me that they would not be concerned with a 72" 3pt finish mover either... Thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-19          46287

LOL, the 8N won't be getting used much anymore will it? ....

View my Photos
sonnyjones

2002-12-19          46289

Sell the 8N, enjoy the kubota ....

View my Photos
Dunford

2002-12-19          46321

Any other thoughts??? ....

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-19          46326

Yup, IMO you will fall in love with the Kubota, especially with the front loader, and the 8N won't be used much. Power steering, Diesel power, a FEL, and 4 wheel drive are too many obstacles the 8N can't provide. Sell the 8N!! You won't miss it. If I was doing it I would have sold the 8N first and used the money to go up to a 2710. But then again that's just my idea and I could be wrong. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-20          46359

Sell the 8n? Well being an old tractor fan myself....I would say to hold off on that a bit, you may regret it later. I have a friend that bought a Kubota and really liked it, so he sold his 8n for about $1,500. Well about 2 years later he is still using the Kubota but just bought an 8n for about $3,000 that is not as good as the one he sold. Old tractors are hard to get out of your system, especially if you have spent a lot of time in the saddle on one.

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-20          46367

Slowrey,

Your buddy sold his 8N way way too cheap, in Michigan a 8N in ANY condition goes for 2500 to 3000. I saw a rusted leaking chloride on both rims piece of crap 8N that went at an estate auction for 3200. These folks at auctions in Michigan buy anything for WAY too much because they dont know what things sell for. IT is HILARIOUS to see fools and their money parted. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-20          46369

Ah yes, sometimes the old tractors go for too much money down here too, especially at auctions. There seems to be more fools with money at those determined to buy something :) If you look around down here though 3,000 is a lot for an 8N, unless it it in really good shape. About 4-5,000 seems to get a fully restored one.

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-20          46372

Slowrey,

Let's look at this this as a business decision. Why would anybody buy a restored 8N 50 year old tractor when they can buy a 1990s diesel, 4 wheel drive, hydro,power steering and front end loader with open hydraulics for maybe 8000-9000. a restored 8N ractor is STILL 50 year old tractor. I'm clueless here unless nostalgia is playing a part???? ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-20          46375

Not sure Jeff. Hard to explain unless you have been there. Let me put it this way. Why would anyone want to buy a piece of junk 1965 Mustang with no AC, horrible handling, ride , and seats. And yet there are many people paying big bucks for them. Wouldn't have one myself though.

Then there is the economic angle....
I see a lot of people using the 8-9N fords and the letter series farmall tractors because they still work and they do not want to or cannot pay 15-20k for a replacement. I can see their point, why replace something that works fine. I can get a 30 year old tractor for 5-6k that will do everything a 20k+ new tractor will do for a lot less money.
That leaves me money to buy other toys with. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-20          46377

Here is a good story for y'all. One of my best buddies is my next door neighbor. He has a ragged out leaking welded-up piece of crap 1968 Ford commercial TLB that he paid 4500 with non-working power steering and a big 1958 JD 2 cylinder with 3 point cat 2, 12 volt, and power steering that he paid 4000. I go out and buy a used cherry 1994 B-2150 with a new Woods front loader, Woods backblade, 18 gallon boom sprayer and a new Praire Dog 7.5ft backhoe. Well guess who's tractor he used ALL summer because my tractor is so "handy"? You guessed it....MY B-2150. LOL...not that I mind but you get the story. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-20          46379

I understand that and agree with him. The newer CUT's are more fun to play/work with than the utility tractors. And have a special niche to fill with all of the hobby and small farmers. They also fill in in certain areas on a larger farm. They are more versatle as you can mow your yard with them, and maybe get them into a stall in the barn to remove processed hay :) because of their smaller size and manuverability as opposed to a utility tractor. However when mowing large areas, baling/moving hay, or plowing all day I will take a utility tractor any day.

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-12-20          46381

Well...LOL....He doesnt mow since we both got garden tractors 48 inch decks, he doesnt hay, But he does DO his garden with his 60 inch King Cutter rototiller on MY 2150 because his JD only has a 10 foot drag disc with no lift and his 2 bottom plow and tractor length is too big for getting into corners. At 1 mph a rototiller gives you potting soil in 1 pass and you get the corners. ITs a funny situation. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-20          46383

Jeff, I was thinking of mowing a couple of hundred acres with a 12' batwing brushhog. Hate to do that with a riding mower. LOL
That is what I mean by a lot of mowing.

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-20          46385

Keep the 8N, by all means.
1. You can't have enough tractors
2. You'll need something to pull a trailer when you have implements on the other tractor.
3. The new compact diesels are great, but nothing beats the putt-putt of the old iron.

Bill ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-21          46397

Bill, You are a real tractor man, not just someone with a tractor. You understand the disease :)

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-21          46401

I have run 2 tractors for the last 7 years, but am rethinking my choice. It is OK if the one tractor is newer and can do everything and then you use the other old war horse for the odd job, but if you depend on the old tractor it must be refurbished completely. The old beast will let you down when you need it. I guess I am getting tired of 2x work to maintain 2 tractors that get used only periodically.
If the 8N is in good shape it is nice to have the second tractor but the versitility of the new tractor will tend to make the old obsolete. My second tractor has been a much larger and more capable tractor than a 8N, I like to have some thing with cat2 for the second and power stearing.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Dunford

2002-12-22          46431

Thanks guys for all of the thoughts... Took deliver of the B7500 late Friday. Used it wit the loader making a stump pile to burn... Impressed with performance. (Need ballast in the rear tires! Dealer recomended winshield waser fluid)

Going to haul wood with the 8N today though. One comment is the old tractor must be in good repair... She is fresh all through take a look at the link. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
thefarm

2002-12-22          46432

Wow,beautiful! What a tractor!I love those old tractors.My Dad bought a 1954 NAA new and I still have it with a side mounted mower on it.I would never sell it.I go to old tractor shows and look buy the hour.Yes,you need a newer tractor,I have 2,but they all have their place for work on my land. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-22          46435

That's a beauty.
Bill ....

View my Photos
Dunford

2002-12-25          46554

Guess I'll be on the 8N as I received a new Ford seat cover for Christmas! (Ofcourse Dad made the trip to Palmer and to get some NAA parts) I'll be putting the B7500 through it's paces this weekend as I have got some major burning to do.

Merry Christmas ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login