Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Steve Mahler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-08          44749

I have a 78 Kubota B6000 which has a counter-clockwise rotating PTO. I was once told that a few companies made a PTO reverser unit (a gearbox that bolts on the back) which reverses the spin....but now I cant find the unit....

Any ideas? New or used I would really like one

Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-09          44770

Sorry I don't have a specific suggestion.

A 1:1 gearbox with a single pair of gears that is rated for the tractor's PTO HP would do the trick. It sure would be good to find something made for the tractor, because mounting might be tricky. I could be wrong, but I don't think a gearbox could be just locked onto the end of the PTO shaft like an external over-running clutch.

If worse comes to worse and there aren't too many implements involved, it might be easier to convert the implements rather than the tractor. I believe there are catalogues of generic gearboxes from OEM manufacturers. Where to find a catalogue and how to locate a particular appropriate gearbox I don't know. A good fabrication shop probably knows the answer and might be able to make mounts to for a gearbox to the tractor as well.

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-09          44772

I haven't been thru this in years but there was a company named Char-lynn I believe that made a PTO reverser as well as units for other types of speed changes. ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Steve Mahler

2002-11-12          44917

Thanks for the tip - as for installing the reverser, I wasnt very clear. My kubota has 4 threaded bolts extending out around the PTO shaft, since the tractor is designed to accept bolt on PTO implements. I believe there was a quick install hydraulic pump attachment that could be used to power various tools. Anyhow, it will be handy (if I can find one) to install the reverser - just 4 bolts to tighten and I am off to the brush hog :) ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-11-12          44932

It might be that you can run the brush hog in reverse if you had blades with edges on them in that direction. I don't think it would matter. Dave ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-13          44947

If a ready-made gearbox can't be found, Dave's solution may be a very elegant one. I'll bet it would be far easier to find or have a set of reversed blades made than fabricating a gearbox.

I'm not up enough on gear design to know if all gear types run equally well if reversed but the idea seem to have great potential especially if only a rotary cutter is needed.

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Steve Mahler

2002-11-13          44967

The reversing of blades was my first idea. I looked at the King Kutters at my local store, and the blades would need some redesigning if I remeber right. I think they were curved to create some lift, and there was a bend near the center which would prevent me from simply turning them around. Perhaps a metal shop could reverse the bend???? Would that greatly reduce the strength? The blades are shaped like: -\_ ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-14          44982

I think blades are mild steel and there would be potential for reforming them without too many complications. However, it's not simply a matter of bending. Mild steel weakens when it is bent cold and it should be reworked. A good shop likely could do the job but might have to construct something like a die to get the bends right and that may be more expensive that desired. ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Bill Clapper

2003-03-29          52132

I am in the same boat as you with the Kubota B6000 pto problem have you had any luck in finding such a thing as a pto reverser yet? If so I would sure appreciate any info. If I find such myself I will let you know.
Thanks ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Smahler

2003-03-31          52275

Sorry to report that I gave up and sold the tractor, bought another. Actually, I thought I would put it out there for a ridiculous price- and it sold. The power of the kubota brand!

I am an avid tractor talker, and I still keep my eye open for a reverser - none yet. Good luck! ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
dfarnjr

2003-04-01          52335

I heard that a place called Hub City makes one. www.hubcityinc.com
Let me know what you find out.
DF ....

PTO Reverser for B6000

View my Photos
Dan Wilburn

2003-04-30          54055

Hub City used to make the PTO reverser for about $500 but they discontinued it. I actually have a Hub City catalog that shows it. I've been looking for a used reverser for years, but haven't found one that is reasonably priced. I'v been lucky to find original implements for my B6000 and my B6000E. My B6000E has a front-end loader and a Woods RM42KB 3 point hitch mower. My B6000E has a Woods 304K 48" belly mower and an S850 tiller. All these implements were specifically designed for the B6000/B6000E. Other implements made for these tractors include a snow blower, post hole digger, and front dozer blade.
Dan ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login