Go Bottom Go Bottom

L3710 filter cross reference

View my Photos
Rich S.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-20          41439

I'am getting close to my 50 hour service and was curious if the inner and outter air filter, oil filter, hydraulic filter and gas filt can be cross referenced to Fram p/n's? Seems like they would be cheaper. Regarding the hydraulic fluid, my dealer manual states I should use Kubota hydraulic oil. Is that really necessary? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-21          41458

I'd probably stay exactly with what Kubota recommends while the tractor is under warranty. That may be an overly conservative attitude but it's one that isn't likely to produce complications.

Filters and fluids usually end up not being a huge expense for most owners. There's probably plenty of time to figure if savings are worth the search. I believe cross-reference charts are available from several manufacturers and NAPA. Some box-store auto parts shops even have tractors on their listings. I would keep in mind that a cross-reference only means that the filter fits, not that the elements and other features are equivalent.

I have gears rather than HST. HST's may be more particular, but TX/Hyd fluid is pretty universal stuff. I use an AGCO multi-season fluid in my Ford because my NH dealer is almost 200 miles away. However, I coudn't recommend anybody else do that. I forget if it was Murf or Peters who mentioned that TX seals can be of different compositions. The wrong fluid can cause seals to swell. In autos, that's the type-F fluid issue.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-21          41462

Fram filters are not well thought of by several contributors on this board. After considering their opinions, some of which are based on extensive educations, I have decided to spend that extra buck fifty every 6 months and get OEM filters.
Then I read a couple other posts about Fram filters collapsing under pressure and cutting off the flow of oil and I remembered back about 1989 I had a sudden total mechanical failure of a mid mileage Subaru engine that I had owned since new. This engine had been well maintained with regular Mobil 1 oil changes. Over a ten-mile stretch of highway it went from sounding like a well-oiled sewing machine to a smoking broken mess. I never thought to pull and check the filter, but I used nothing but Fram back then.
Use the search functions on this board, read the older posts and see what you think.

View my Photos
Rich S.

2002-08-21          41477

Thanks for the info I guess I will stay with Kubota filters and lube. Rich ....

View my Photos
Tommy Smith

2002-08-29          41792

I just did the 50hr service on my L3010 and went w/ Kubota UDT, Kubota filters and Rotella 15w 40 engine oil. All were recomenneded by my dealer who stated that my warrenty would be voided otherwise. ( Mainly concerning the UDT oil. ) It aslo appears that I saved about $150.00 ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-30          41812

Do you have to change the hydraulic fluid at 50 hours??? ....

View my Photos
Jiffyjam

2002-08-30          41832

My manual shows changing the trans/hydraulic fluid after an initial break in period of 50 hrs, then @ 400, 800, ect
w/ filter changes in btween. Also the $150.00 savings was on labor, not parts. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-08-30          41851

HEY guys, there is a federal law that states a manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you don't use mfg's parts, The law says if he requires the use of his brand of parts then the manufacturer has to provide those parts FREE OF CHARGE. FOR EXAMPLE.... If you buy a new Chevy truck and you use the proper weight QUAKER STATE OIL and change it yourself and the oil pump fails, he cannot fail to honor his warranty because you didn't have him change that oil with MR GOODWRENCH oil. Tractor manufacturer's do NOT refine there own oil or make there own oil filters. This is a common scare tactic to make you pay the high dollar on service within the warranty period. SAE has specs and test requirements that all OEMS approve. LOOK ON A quart of MAJOR BRAND oil. I will guarantee you that KUBOTA does not manufacturer their own oil nor do they make their own filter. ....

View my Photos
Rich S.

2002-08-31          41862

I agree. Just go to Google search and type in Kubota hydraulic UDT oil and you will get a list of other brands of hydraulic/transmission oils that meet the same service critia. In fact on the Texaco site they say why oay OEM prices when you can buy better oil that meets or exceeds Kubota UDT, Texaco TDH, Quacker State FC IHD and Amsol ISO 46 all meet or exceed UDT. I can only assume Kubota UDT is a"cash cow" for the dealers. ....

View my Photos
Rich S.

2002-08-31          41863

I would welcome input from a Kubota dealer, and many read this board. Please Mr. Kubota, explain to me why your UDT oil is the only hydraulic/transmission oil on the market that is authorized? ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-08-31          41866

A Kubota dealer may or may not know where Kubota procures their oil or filters and he probably doesn't care. You would be surprised where parts are made and by who, for what equipment. I'm bettin the dealer just orders the part numbers he needs and Kubota ships to his door, the dealer doesn't ask questions on who makes it because he is too preoccupied with 16,000 other problems and OEM maunufacturer supply subcontractor sources are the least of his concern. IT works, It fits, and the dealer makes good mark up so why ask who makes it.
Here is another good example. Harley-Davidson sells oil filters to their dealers under a Harley-Davidson part number. Those oil filters are made by the Delphi Division of General Motors in the Flint, Michigan. Trust me I know because my neighbor is in charge of Harley oil filter production at Delphi-East. ....

View my Photos
Tommy Smith

2002-08-31          41868

Here is a quote from my L3010 GST manual.." The oil used to lubricate the transmission is also used as hydraulic fluid. To insure proper operation of the hydraulic system and complete lubrication of the transmission, it is inportant that a muti-grade transmission fluid be used in this system. ( Then they go on to recommend Kubota UDT or Super UDT ) How could they void the warrenty based on that? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-01          41905

The OEM or name game is an interesting thing.
For example we all know Interstate batteries, but Interstate only markets batteries. There are only a few manufactures in the US. The big 4 are Exide, JCI, Delco and GNB. East Penn manufacturing, Dekka is smaller and there are a couple of other smaller players.
In the past few years some marketers such as Interstate and Sear Die hard have been burned buying the lowest cost battery.
I am not sure that I would by bulk oil motor based on price either. This is something likely to happen if you buy the OEM material. Years ago I worked on OMC products. We sold the OMC oil and the exact some oil from the manufacture. The oil companies was something like a dollar a quart less.
It is interesting to note that the opposite is often true at Wally World, the amusement park of the south. The sams or Walmart branded product is generally less than the same product in the manufactures label.

View my Photos
Tommy Smith

2002-09-10          42243

OK, I asked Kubota about the use of after market fluids and how it would affect the warrenty, the following has been cut and pasted from there reply..
Hello Mr. Smith. Thank you for contacting Kubota. Kubota strongly
recommends the use of Kubota Super UDT in your hydraulic system along with
genuine Kubota filters. Super UDT was designed specifically for the
requirements of Kubota's GST style transmission. This blend provides
superior shifting performance when used in colder temperatures (below 40°
F). Using other filters and fluids does not automatically void your
warranty. However, if damage is caused directly from the use of these
products, Kubota will not cover the repairs under warranty. You would need
to deal directly with the supplier of the fluid or filter for their
support. Again, thanks for contacting Kubota.

View my Photos
Rich S.

2002-09-10          42245

Tommy thanks for the info. I've decided to go with Shell DONAX DT @ $27.31 per 5 gal. My local Kubota dealer sells Super UDT for $69.00/5 gal. I received a email from Shell Corp. informing me that Donax DT meets all warrenty requirements. TEXACO makes the same claim with their DTH product. Rich ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-09-10          42247

TOMMY,
THE REP FROM KUBOTA SHOULD READ A COPY OF THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT OF 1975 WHICH IS FEDERAL LAW OF THE USA. SHE IS 100% TOTALLY WRONG. I WOULD LOVE A WARRANTY CLAIM FOR A NON KUBOTA PART OR FLUID. I WOULD BE A RICH MAN WITH A NEW TRACTOR OF MY CHOICE. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-10          42249

Well Jeff if you don't know better then they sell a lot of oil at inflated prices and then will fix the tractor anyway.
I don't know if this is an Japanese trick but I have seen some interesting parts scam from the Japanese before. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-09-10          42260

Peters,

I know that, because they scare the stuffings out of people so these people cave in and pay the inflated prices. It is just the same in the marine outboard business...."use my high price oil or we will void your warranty....the boat people woke up years ago to this scare tactic. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-11          42274

I worked as a mechanic for an OMC dealer for 3 years. We did not push the OMC oil, but also had the Castrol on the self beside it. If you read the label it was blended by Castrol. I think it was some dollar difference per quart 25 years ago. ....

View my Photos
cjcanada

2007-06-10          142840

Just to throw in on the whole issue of using none kubota filters

Because Im 5hrs from the nearest dealer I have been hopping to buy aftermarket filters for my B1550 and so I managed to get the fram eqivelent it was interesting when I removed the filter which was a fram I noticed that the filter had collapsed. I was also told by the parts guy at the nearest kubota dealer that they use to sell WIX filters at about half the price of the Kubota ones. I would strongly recomend that you stay away form FRAM filters

Chuck

NW Ontario

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login