Go Bottom Go Bottom

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
Grande
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-15          41273

I'm happily a new L3010 owner embarking upon using a tractor for snow removal. The terrain is narrow and hilly here in VT and I'm looking for advice on methods and technique; back blade, loader, snowblower (front or rear) etc. Thanks for any help.

Grande

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
dgavin

2002-08-15          41288

That's a good topic.I pick my l3010 up a month ago here in
wisconsin.Any help out there fellas? ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
JJT

2002-08-15          41292

I live in upstate NY, with some hills and use a rear mounted snow blower on my L3710. For years I plowed with a truck, the only thing I miss is the heated cab. I went with a rear blower for several reasons, 1) it cost 50% less than a smaller front blower, 2) size, the front mount was 59", my rear mount is 78" 3) I did not want to give up the FEL, it's great for clearing out the mailbox, pulling the snow back from the garage, etc. ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
Grande

2002-08-15          41294

I've given much thought to a rear mounted snow blower but get a stiff neck thinking about going in reverse that much. My road is steep and narrow. The $$$ that go with a front mounted device are equally intimidating. What about a rear blade in conjunction with a FEL bucket? ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-16          41297

A steep narrow drive might require chains to get enough traction. A snow blower might be OK without chains. Tire type doesn't make a lot of difference to traction on ice. No type is particularly good.

Including my neighbour's place, I use a 3ph blower on about 400' of drive not including parking areas. My drive is frozen gravel during the winter and my neighbour’s is asphalt. Neither are very steep and the traction is fine in 4wd using turf tires and no chains. There can be a lot of snow during a season here and using a blade would present a problem of where to push the snow so there's enough space to keep it until spring.

I haven't had a neck problem using the blower but I know it does slow me down. In light snows, I'm not willing to drive as fast in reverse as the blower is capable of clearing. I might want a front mounted blower for very long drives, but I don't think I'd like to give up my loader to do it. The loader is very useful even when using a blower.

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
dgavin

2002-08-16          41312

I'll answer my own post:
I was just researching this and found a front mounted blade
(much like on pickup trucks)that attach to the FEL.
I thought this was pretty cool and may get one this winter.
(do a web search for this product)I agree a front mount snowblower is damn $$$.
The fella next door uses a rear blade and once the snow gets to deep can't push it to the side because of the rear wheel so think hard about that application.He hates the rig and never gets a clean job.Gets stuck alot too. ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-16          41313

Dgavin, Whats the website you found? ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
dgavin

2002-08-19          41375

www.curtiscab.com

Good luck....fi you get one tell us how it works.I don't have it in my budget this year. ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-08-19          41390

Get a winter home in the deep south. ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
Charlton

2002-08-19          41392

I use any 8’ Fisher power angle on a 3710, the angle hooks up to the remote for the 4in1. It's mounted on a Quik-Tach plate so the bucket comes off. It’s got real good reach and will make quite a pile.

You must know what the capacity of the loader is, maybe you could use a used plow off a Jeep or half ton, 6’ or 7’. If you get the push frame with it mount the pin receiver on the bottom of the bucket.

I don’t know what your budget is but spend the money on comfort, Curtis makes some goood stuff, their headquarters is here in MA, but good stuff is pricy. They make some real nice cabs and heaters. I got a cab on mine, too many years with the old 10 hp Simplicity with the blower and snow stuck all me.

Dave

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-20          41402

Comfort is good to think about. By the middle of summer I almost forget about my blower trials. No cab, and several places on the drives, there's no choice which way to blow the snow.

The hydraulic chute helps, but a north or west wind blows snow in my face no matter what. At times, there is nothing to do but stop and claw snow off the side of my face and off my glasses. Cursing and swearing--boy that sure stings! Last year I tried a ski mask over my glasses but then the glasses fog. Even so, I wouldn't give up my blower in favour of a blade.

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
dgavin

2002-08-20          41417

You haven't seen winter unless your out plowing in -40 degrees.I'll be glad i put a block heater on the ol'Kubota
when that hits.
I just laugh when you guys whine about winters out east.Come on over to Minn for a visit in Jan.:)

By the way:
Who has a good price on chains for tractors?

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
showcattle

2002-08-20          41419

I don't know if their prices are good, but they have about any size you'll need.http://www.tirechain.com/ ....

Link:   

Click Here

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-20          41428

Tom, one of my employees swears by (not at) plowing snow with an open station tractor. He is a 'farm boy' through & through, says you can't see well enough with a cab in the way, especially when the snow sticks to it & the windows fog up. His solution is simple, he dresses as if he was going snowmobiling, right down to the electric defogger on his helmet's visor. Apparently the heated visor (set on high) will keep itself clean & clear in the worst of conditions. Besides, he says this way his glasses stay clean. To each their own. BTW, we plow & blow with 40hp class machines on full turf's with NO chains, and only use tire studs on one machine which is ALWAYS on bare ground. Best of luck. ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-08-20          41431

Us farm boys who hate cabs for loader work are getting older, but not wiser. I still have an open station compact to move the fluffy stuff. And you can see much better. The windows don't fog, no wiper to freeze.

I will attest to the quality of Curtis Cabs. They are priced higher than some others, but are well worth the money. I've sold several, no complaints from customers. My biggest complaint is set-up time on some models. But that's not easily changed due to shipping issues.

It's hard to recomend snow equipment unless I've seen the area to be cleared and also it's location. Here in NW Indiana, we sell everything, each situatuion is different.

The most universal is the FEL.w/ high volume bucket. This will let you push/backblade/stack/push yourself out when stuck/even dig through 10' high drifts if that be the case.
With an FEL, you can inadvertantly remove a shrub you hate that your wife won't let you dig out under the ruse of "sorry dear, but it was buried under the snow and I just didn't see it" and if you stack enough snow on top of where you dumped it, she won't know.........for a while, thus giving you time to figure out what you want to plant there that will make her happy. ( I know......that never works for me either) ....

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-21          41454

Interesting perspectives on cabs. Maybe I feel better about not having one. I figured they'd come with defrosters and wipers and work much like a truck.

A snowmobile helmet is an interesting idea. I've never had one myself because we got hooked on snowshoeing. The suits are pretty expensive I hear, but maybe I can find somebody else who's hooked on snowshoes and selling snowmobile equipment.

I'd guess the helmets have a 12V plug in. I already mounted an AC box with a 20A twist-lock receptacle on the bottom of my canopy. I plug a hazard flasher into it and periodically plug a 1-amp charger into it to top-up the battery. Guess I could plug a helmet into it as well. Yikes, I could end up with a power bar on the tractor and bankrupt myself buying 20A male twist-lock plugs.

L3010 for snow removal

View my Photos
Carl

2002-08-27          41704

I have a L3410 HST w/ an LA482 loader that I have attached a Meyers ST-90 power angle blade to. The blade is mounted on a pallet fork attachment that replaces the bucket.
The power angle is controlled w/ the remote valve and lift is controled by lifting the loader arms.
Advantages: Cheap;The used blade cost less than $200.00, Fast to move snow and allows stacking of banks by lifting the loader arms; easy to hook up
Disadvantages: The tractor/blade combo is long; It's hard to get the blade height right so the blade trips correctly;he tractor is light enough in the front end to be pushed around by the blade;if you don't have a remote valve you need to manually tilt the blade or rig up the electric pump to do it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login