Go Bottom Go Bottom

Electric winch and light hookup

View my Photos
David LaBrie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-21          28412

Well I've got 9 hours on my new Kubota 2910. I only got it stuck once, up to the frame in mud while crossing a brook. Using the FEL and a come-a-long got me out after quite awhile. Which brings me to my question. Could I have used on of those electric winches that attaches to a ball hitch? Would there be enough amps to run it? Where would I hitch up the wire? Along the same line, If I wanted to attach rear running lights to the ROPS, How would I hook up the electronics? Thanks,David

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-21          28413

David, I don't know a lot about the electric winches, but from what I've read, you won't use it very much without running your battery down unless you get a higher capacity alternator. As for putting work lights on the ROPS, you'll find a connector for that purpose under the seat on the right side. It's fused with a 10 amp fuse and wired through the key switch - in other words, only hot when the key is on. I have a canopy on my tractor and put one 55 watt flood light to the rear and a 55 watt trapezoidal light to the front. ....

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-05-21          28415

Bird,
So if the connector is hot when the key is on, How do you turn them off? Did you have to install a
switch somewhere on the tractor?
Thanks,
David ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-21          28422

Yep, David, that's just what I did. I like having it wired through the key switch so they can't accidentally be left on, but that does mean you need a switch. Some people buy lights that have a switch built in. In my case, I bought the lights from Northern Tool, ran my wires to a 3-way toggle switch, and then to the lights. That way when the switch is centered, it's off. Forward turns on the front light and backwards the rear light. They cannot both be on at the same time and that suits me; I can't look forward and backward at the same time anyway and since only one can be on at a time there's never any possibility of overloading a fuse or wires. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-22          28430

No guarantees about running a winch, but here's how I think it would work. A typical tractor battery is 75 amp hours and around 800 cold cranking amps. I believe the amp hour rating means that the battery can deliver 75 amps for an hour when starting fully charged. Winches come in a range of amp ratings, but if one drew 300 amps under load, it would run a battery down in about 15 minutes. There are some variables here not considered such as the effect of heat generated and battery voltage drop as it discharges that also could have major effects. Anyway, I believe these winches can be run from stand-alone batteries, so running one from a typical tractor battery for short periods likely would work. I'd make sure the battery is adequate to support the load, and I probably wouldn't run the engine and winch at the same time. At some point in the discharge, the alternator would see the internal resistance of the winch as its load, rather than the resistance of the charging system. The winch load may be close enough to a short circuit to damage the alternator. I don't know for sure, but I'd play it safe. ....

View my Photos
Norm

2001-05-22          28435

There are, or course, different size alternators. Mine generates about 40A. I am quite sure if I threw a winch on it I would at the very least burn out the rectifying diodes. As previously suggested, I would use a separate battery, probably a deep cycle one, and put it on charge after use. My $.02 ....

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-05-22          28450

So if I were to get a stand alone battery, would a deep cycle batery be the type used for trolling moters on fishing boats? ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-22          28453

Yep, David, deep cycle batteries are used for trolling motors, they're used in RVs, golf carts, and now I can't remember what all else. ....

View my Photos
gws

2001-05-23          28467

Why not go with an hydraulic winch? ....

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-05-23          28473

I have never heard of a hydraulic winch. But there is quite a of I haven't heard about when it comes to tractors. How would you hook it up to a B2910 and are they very expensive? ....

View my Photos
gws

2001-05-23          28477

Most of the tow trucks use hydraulic winch for heavy duty applications but there are smaller bumper mounted hydraulic winches. Superwinch http://www.superwinch.com/ has them, I think warn and ramsey also have hydrualic models. They are similar cost to like sized electrical units. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-23          28479

A hydraulic winch likely would be driven from a hydraulic motor (something like a HST). I haven't seen one, but I'd be very surprised if they don't exist. Hydraulic posthole augers are around, so why not a winch. Most 3ph implements with hydraulics can be connected to any valve-controlled outlet. Many tractors have rear outlets, but a circuit can be taken from a loader. PTO winches are another alternative. Plenty of choices from regular to logging flavours. Hydraulic motors are expensive. Their main advantage is that they reverse, have high-torque at low speed and require no gearboxes. Both hydraulic or PTO winches are fairly expensive, because they are intended to do heavy and specialized work. If your interests are mostly getting something to help get the tractor out of occasional mires, a battery winch or just a big come-along might be a better ticket. ....

View my Photos
MarkV

2001-05-23          28491

David,

You might look into a chain saw based winch if you are most interested in getting out of the sticky places.

MarkV ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-23          28492

I happen to have been familiar with a fleet of wreckers (tow trucks) several years ago that was using manual transmissions and winches driven off a transmission PTO. Maintenance costs were high. Then a shop foreman had an idea to buy automatic transmissions, add a pulley to the front of the crankshaft on the engine to drive a hydraulic pump, and use hydraulic winches; happier drivers; lower maintenance costs. But I haven't seen one on a tractor yet; figure they have to exist. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-24          28514

David Hillbilly has already been there, done that. Chech the archives or e-mail him. His is not a winch all day long setup. but he does pull logs off the steep parts of his woods... ....

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-05-26          28603

Bird, I was looking for the aux electric wire hookup under the seat of my B2910. I found the wire that goes to the rear lights but nothing else. Is it a separate wire or part of the rear light wires? ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-26          28611

David, I had a little trouble finding mine, too. It was under the seat on the right side by the toolbox (and of course the 2910 seat and toolbox are different from my 2710) and it's a separate wire, but it was taped to the tail light wire so the end didn't show. When I removed the tape, the wire had a female connector already on the end to plug in the male connector from the auxilliary light. ....

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-05-27          28631

Bird, I will look again for the connection. The tool box you mention is also mentioned in my manual but there isn't one on the tractor. I guess I will have to see the service manager at the dealership and see if I can get him to sort these things out. From the info I have gathered here, at least I will have some idea of what I am talking about. I really appreciate all the insight that you and others on this board give. Thanks to all. David ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-27          28633

David, I think (not sure) that they're using the same manual for the 2910 as they already had for the 2710, and that would be the reason the toolbox is mentioned. However, with the better seat (adjustable suspension) on the 2910, they had to move the toolbox out of there. On the 2710, the tail light ground wire was attached to a bolt directly under the toolbox, so I removed the toolbox to get to it and ran my ground wire for the auxilliary lights to the same ground. The hot wire was just to the right of that. I'd say to look for two wires coming from toward the front of the tractor taped together with only one wire going on towards the rear and when you remove the tape you'll have the hot wire you're looking for. ....

View my Photos
kevin Eckstein

2002-02-27          35925

For hydraulic winch, take a look at milemarker.com. They have winches up 12,500 lbs for vehicles but easiely could be adapted for your use. I have one on my truck 10,500 lbs two speed and it work wonders. Good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login