Go Bottom Go Bottom

landscape rakes

View my Photos
Robert in Pa.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-22          25711

I need a landscape rake. Anyone have any experience with HOWSE brand that is sold in Northern Tool catalog? They have a 5' for $250.00 and the wheel kit for $120.00. Also would anyone know if the wheel kit would fit on say a King Kutter rake? I have a B-2100 with turf tires and FEL should I go with a 5' or would I be able to get away with pulling a 6'? The ground I need to level a little is very, very rocky. Thanks great info. on this board.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

landscape rakes

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-03-22          25714

I'm not familiar with your tractor, but I'm pulling a 5 foot Woods with a 20 horse JD750, and that's all she wants in heavy going. Personally, I'd stay away from the Howse. I've never heard anyone that had anything good to say about Howse equipment in general. I like my Woods, but I use it a lot, and paid a lot for it. A good happy medium seems to be Land Pride. JMHO, of course. ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-22          25735

Paul, I have a Howse 5' brush hog and a Howse 5' box blade. They are admittedly not top quality implements, but of course, also cost a lot less than some other brands, and I have no complaints with them. They're good for the work that I bought them for. ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-03-22          25736

I've no doubt they are fine for your purposes and were much more cost effective. I have two major failings (my wife would revise that number upward significantly): I use my equipment hard, and I always buy bigger and more rugged than I truly need. Downside is it costs me more, upside is it will last a lot longer than I will ":^) ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-03-22          25740

Have a Land pride 15 series 8' used it commercially for sod prep, happy with
it except it should have a retractable stand in front and I elongated one of
the angle adjustment holes (mix of abuse and thin steel) they make stronger
25 series which is as good as anything out there. Dont bash my landprides.:) ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-22          25745

Robert, I researched landscape rakes quite a bit this winter. Ended up ordering a 84" Woods, but I am admittedly in the same camp as Paul Fox: I pay more up front, but I use it hard and I use it forever. (When I buy I car or truck I expect to get minimum 8 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first) Landscape rakes vary a lot in both price and quality from what I could tell. Things to look for and trade off: What is the quality of the tines? They are all about the same thickness and size, but the quality of the steel or spring steel used makes a big difference. See how much you can bend or deform a single tine by hand. Does it go back to where it started? The method of holding the tines in place varies a lot. In the Woods and the Landpride 15 series the tine goes through slots in a box beam and is then secured. The Woods secures with a bolt through each tine while the LP15 series uses one bolt to clamp 2 tines at a time. Lesser rakes simply clamp the tine between flat metal sections. Can you move the tines from side to side? Are they lined up and all have the same curvature? You will also will find differences in the rotating assembly and in the method to hold the rake at different angles. Finally look at the quality and strength of the 3 point hitch and attachment framework. Now assess your usage profile for the rake. If you are only going to use it a couple times a year to smooth out your gravel drive then a lower price rake is probably a good value for you. If, on the other hand, you are going to be landscaping in rough rocky ground, using the rake to clean up after timber cuttings, or other similar demanding applications, I would consider spending more up front. Your rocky ground is going to be tough on a rake. My humble opinion had the following order for the quality of the light to medium duty rakes I saw: Howse, Modern Implements (owned by York so don't get confused), King Kutter, Bush Hog and York tied, LandPride 15 series, then Woods. Other opinions may vary. Also, heavy-duty rakes are in another class altogether. For a B2100 a lighter duty 60" rake should work out fine - check out the King Kutter and Bush Hog. I think your B2100 could handle a 72" rake fine, but I worry about your rocky ground and what it will do to a lighter rake. ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
JJT

2001-03-22          25749

Robert, I have the land pride 72" rake with both the wheel kit and the flip down grader blade. Both options work really well. The blade was about $200 extra but does a good job of allowing the rake to work as a box scraper. The extra 80# seems to make the rake work better. As JeffM said, it isn't as heavy built or expensive as the Woods line. ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
Jim

2001-03-22          25750

Hey Rob, Howse is Junk. KK is much better. I have the KK gauge wheels in stock.
$150 for the pair.
Jim ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
nhboomer

2001-03-22          25751

Don't know why you are asking if the Howse wheel set would fit on a King Kutter rake when KK has their own wheel set part no. 403005 for $90. call 1-800-228-2308 to order. I have the KK 6 ft rake with the wheel kit and am happy with it. ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
JonB

2001-03-23          25760

Robert, I don't just have rocky ground, I grow rocks. This last week I ordered a Landpride rake based on reputation and discussions like this one. I compared the weight of different brands. The Howse and other fine brands were lighter than the Landpride. I figured more weight meant more steel and durability. I think you'll find the less expensive models are generally lighter. Try to borrow or rent any rake, and try it out. That should give you an idea of whether you need a lighter or heavier model. Best of luck. JonB ....

landscape rakes

View my Photos
Robert in Pa.

2001-03-28          26024

Thanks for the info on the wheel kit for the King Kutter landscape rake. My King Kutter dealer told me the wheel kit was not available. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login