Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Gerald
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-14          25502

I recently bought a house with 10.5 acres. About 5 acres are woods, 2 acres yard around the house and 3.5 large open front yard. I am new to the compact tractor world. My local dealer suggested a Kubota BX2200 with 60" deck. I also have a long asphalt driveway where we get a couple snows each year here in Indiana. He said a rear blade would probably be enough to remove the snow and avoid the cost and pain of putting on and off a front hydralic snow blade. He priced the Bx2200, deck and rear blade for $10,750. Can anyone give me their opinion on what would best fit my needs? Do I need a bigger tractor that would handle a 72" deck? Thanks for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-14          25507

Gerald, when I bought my 10 acres 6 years ago, I bought a B7100 Kubota, and a year and a half ago, I traded up to a B2710. And I'd had a fair amount of experience in the past with tractors. For what you say you want to do, I'd say the BX2200 is a fine little machine, but think there are two other things you need to consider. First, I wouldn't buy it without the front end loader; that's probably the handiest and most used implement compact tractor owners have. Secondly, think long and hard about what other jobs you might want to do. I think nearly everyone who buys a compact tractor finds lots of things they want to do with it, after they get it, that they didn't think of before buying. Lots of folks trade up in size, very few trade down; however, there are certainly jobs and circumstances in which smaller tractors are better. If you have any slopes to mow, the BX will be more stable than some of the larger machines. Good luck and have fun shopping. ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
gws

2001-03-16          25570

I would say that you getting a tractor that is to small the BX are nice, but there just glorified garden tractors. You need to move up at least to the B class kubota, 4100 JD or similar sized tractor. 10acres could be a lot of upkeep and the BX is going to be to small in the long run. ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Steve Shireman Jr.

2001-03-16          25572

GWS, Please believe me when I say I mean no disrespect. But I have a BX2200 and it is hardly a glorified garden tractor. You show me a garden tractor than can handle a 72" 3pt hitch finisher, or a garden tractor with a FEL than can handle moving, spreading, and leveling 70 ton of 2A modified stone. Or a garden tractor than can excavate and level ground for a detached garage. Or a garden tractor that can dig out a 15" in diameter Douglas Fur. Or a garden tractor than can blast through over a foot of snow and clear a country road with a 72" rear blade not pushing, but throwing snow off the road at full speed. I looked at the JD 4100's and test drove them. And I hate to tell you this, but for the money the BX is every bit the tractor the 4100 is. On the 4100's you feel like you are on a bigger machine, but that's the only difference I found. The same goes for the Boomers. I wouldn't give up my BX on an even swap for a 4100. The fact that the BX is smaller makes it that much more valuable for a homeowner. And, there isn't much weight difference between the 4100 and the BX. So please tell me how the 4100 is THAT much more of a tractor than the BX? ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-16          25577

OK, Steve, I'll bite. This is not personal and I love the BX2200, BUT the 4100 is alot more tractor than a BX2200, maybe not in horsepower, but in specs that matter to me more. In fact, I could argue that the 4100 is closer to a B2710 than a BX2200 is to a 4100. A BX2200D spec'ed brochure weight is 1300 lbs; the 4100 weight is more than 20% greater at 1565 lbs. The B2710 weighs 1740 lbs, which is only 11% more than the 4100. The LA211 loader on a BX2200 is spec'ed at 460 lbs lift capacity at full height, the 4100 with a 410 loader is spec'ed at nearly twice that at 882 lbs, which is identical to the LA401 loader on a B2710. The BX2200 does have a little more hp than a 4100 at the pto (16.7 vs. 16), so it can turn a mower or a tiller about the same. Don't get me wrong, I think the BX2200 is the greatest new tractor design in some time - it is in a category without any competition, but I don't view it in the same light as a 4100. I would not call the BX2200 a glorified garden tractor, maybe a compact compressed to a garden tractor's size. And therein lies its greatness. But in my mind, the loader performance and significant weight difference make the 4100 a different beast. (Food for thought: the weight of a 4100 is about the same as a BX2200 with 2 wives on it, but why would anyone want to carry 2 wives around on their tractor?) BTW, you implied that the BX2200 has it over a 4100 and the small Boomers, but how do you think it compares to a B2100 or a B2400? Good luck with your orange animal! ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Todd

2001-03-18          25623

Interesting debate. I'd agree, the BX's are awsome, but not in the same class as the 4100. I think Steve Carver probably has more experience with kubota's than any of us, and you can read his take on them at his web site, I think under shopping tips. Since the 4100 is probably in the 7500 weight/power class, it doesn't matter that he only compares the kubota's. As far as the 4100 and the B2710, I've been told that the Kubota weights on the B's and L's are listed without rims and tires, since those vary. JD quotes field weights, not sure what tire/rim combo. Is that wrong? Also, Kubota measures lift at bucket center (front to back), JD lists it at the pivot point. Not sure, but I suspect that skews the numbers some. In any event, the bx2200, JD4100, and B2710 are all great tractors. I'd go larger than the bx2200 for 10 acres, but it depends on what needs to be done.
Todd ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-18          25626

Todd, thanks for reminding me of something I forgot to add on my last post. I DO NOT consider the 4100 in the same league with a 2710, not even close. I don't know about the weight specification on the Kubota, but I believe you are correct on the loader lift capacity specs. The other misleading thing about loader lift capacity specs is that they are usually at full lift height. I've looked at loader lift capacity vs. height graphs and the capacity tails off considerably as you near full lift height. So in this case the lift capacities would be more fairly compared at some lower standard height (1 meter?) because the 2710/401LA can lift higher than the 4100/410, which in turn lifts higher than the BX2200/LA211. I believe these three machines are significantly different in capabilities; I was just playing the devil's advocate. And Steve, I can certainly understand how the BX2200 would have a higher value for you than the 4100 or the small Boomers. We all have different needs and presumably try to spend our money where we get the highest value. My tractor is worth more to me than a bigger tractor at the same price because the bigger size becomes a liability in my application. But that is a subjective view based on my needs, and a someone with different needs will probably have an entirely different value equation. ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-04          26292

I will put my BX up against a JD 4100 anyday also. What fools people are the small tires. The BX is a real tractor at 1300 lbs bare and works like any other Kubota tractor. I demoed a 7500 and I have used a 4100. The BX is their equal. They have large loader capacity but the BX mows better, is more stable and more manuverable and does everything else they do just as well. Oh, Kubota will be offering a backhoe and some other things for the BX soon. Glorified garden tractor my a---! J,RV ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-04          26293

I will put my BX up against a JD 4100 anyday also. What fools people are the small tires. The BX is a real tractor at 1300 lbs bare and works like any other Kubota tractor. I demoed a 7500 and I have used a 4100. The BX is their equal. They have large loader capacity but the BX mows better, is more stable and more manuverable and does everything else they do just as well. Oh, Kubota will be offering a backhoe and some other things for the BX soon. Glorified garden tractor my a---! J,RV ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-04          26294

Sorry for the double post, do not know what happened, computer went blank and whamo--two posts--sorry. I have had my BX now more than a year with just over 100 hours and like the other fellow have found it to be a capable machine. Mine has moved boulders, blasted through ice walls, pulls my 48 inch box blade, moved 40 tons of gravel last weekend, built a huge retaining wall, mows my 6 acres and makes my neighbors JD455 look silly--it is a glorified GT but the Kubota BX is a scaled down utility tractor with plenty of muscle. Again sorry for the double post--it was an accident I guess. J, RV ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-04          26295

According to my information the weight of a 4100 is 1567lbs and a Kubota 2410 is 1477 and the Kubota 7500 is 1367 (and yes that is with tires and wheels) and the BX is 1300 lbs bare. I saw the Carver site and there is no formula for computing tractor productivity or multiplying this or that--that is all opinion based on one persons idea or particular use. Since my BX can go under my deck and mow around my trees and some other things I guess that makes it 3.678509 X the tracor a 4100 is and 3.78955 X the tractor a 2410 is and 100% more productive since I do not have to get off the tractor and pull on the cord of my reluctant old Lawnboy to finish all those areas those "better" tractors could not get to. It all depends on the use and the situation. Well--I have posted enough--better scat before the JD police come out in force--they and the anti-synthetic guys should join forces. See ya. Best to all. J, RV ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Todd

2001-04-04          26325

RV,
Why do so many BX owners sound like they have a Napoleon complex? It's a great tractor, but put it up against the 4100 or 2410 in almost any competition where a garden tractor isn't the equivalent of the BX, and it's gonna loose. If you can only have one, and need the compact size of a garden tractor, then it's the one. If you want to rotary cut my field, till my garden in less than 2 hours, or move the yards of dirt I move out back, you need bigger. Your BX would get stuck in the potholes that I drive through, the 4100 wouldn't, neither would the 2410, the 7500, or any larger tractor. You'd also have trouble with the mud and snow I deal with.
We don't all use our tractors on smooth ground or finished yards. So unless you think of tractors as lawnmowers with a few accessories, you can't compare the BX well the the 4100.
Sorry,
Todd ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-05          26344

Todd, why do so many of you "big" tractor guys sound like you are trying to make up for something lacking elsewhere? Sorry but you sound like you might be full of something--like hot air! J ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Jeff Golden

2001-04-05          26348

"Can't we all just get along?" This green vs orange vs blue vs red vs whatever gets old rather quickly. ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Dane

2001-04-05          26355

Let's get along. I have both the big and little. I put the 50" mid mower on my BX2200 to fit between some existing trees. I mow about 4 acres and can tell you that even with the smaller deck, the BX cuts about twice as fast as my old JD188 with a 48" deck. I think the extra power, larger tires, and faster ground speed make the difference. The BX seems to be about the biggest tractor that still mows well, I have seen many lawns destroyed by one use of a 4000 series John Deere. The BX handles a 4' box blade to keep my 1'000 ft. of gravel driveway in shape, it tows a sprayer for killing weeds, and the wagon for hay rides. When I bought the BX it was the same price as a JD 400 series with a gas engine and 2 wheel drive. The JD 4100 has a similar advertised base price but that was stripped. When you get the JD with hydrostatic, 4wd and a mower deck it ends up being considerably more expensive.

I also have a Kubota L3710 for the heavier stuff. You cannot beat the extra weight and R4 or ag tires for loader work or serious box blade work. Just don't get it on the grass or into really soft/muddy ground. My little BX with turf tires floats right across mud, sand and soupy wet grass without problem. The bigger L3710 with R4 tires leaves it's mark. And well, the olde JD188 just got stuck. ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Todd

2001-04-05          26366

Dane, Jeff,
I'm with you and suspect we can all get along. But this thread was started by Gerald, and when opinions were offered that the 4100 was more tractor than the BX, and that he might need more than the BX, RV disagreed. Strongly! Dane, if you have a BX and a 3710, then you clearly needed more than the BX alone, and it sounds like you bought the BX because it cuts better than the heavier L, fits between trees, and doesn't leave tread marks as much. In other words, it's the better lawn mower. I went with a B2710 for similar reasons, the BX was too small, I didn't want the weight of the L's, but could reasonably only get one tractor. Now I'm considering moving up, and who cares if I don't get a golf green quality cut. I'll accept that for the increased ability. If I could have 2, I'd get an L4610 and a zero turn, because if it's too wet for a z-turn, I'm not mowing. And talk about cutting fast! Anyway, the L3710 is what I should have bought, it's bigger, stronger, and far more capable than my baby B2710, and it still has the mid PTO. NICE tractor that one. Unfortunately, moving up for just 2 years, and then probably having to sell it if we move to a more urban area, seems very silly. I'll just buy beat up stocks with the money instead, and make due with my 2710.
Regarding Napoleon complexes and human anatomy, RV's reply made me laugh, so I doubt it was really intended to hurt. My comment was a jibe, not a slam, so sorry if it came out too strong. However, BX pride shouldn't lead to inaccurate comparisons when they might lead someone to buy a machine that's too small. Like Bird said, very few people trade down in size. If I'd taken advice from some BX owners and assumed a 22hpBX was = to a 20hp 4100, I wouldn't be able to do what I need to do to maintain my property, much less what I want to do. I could have gotten away with the 4100, but simply because of the wheel size difference, I'm more comfortable with by bota. My back fields have ruts that would eat the BX wheels. I take off the mower to go back there, and go slow. Anyway, this is way to long, so only two quick last comments. RV, I'm not a big tractor guy, just a guy with a little tractor that's a little bigger than your little tractor. And as far as certain other things go, wouldn't trade up in size if I could. Guess I do have some tools that are just the perfect size for the job. :) Take care, Todd

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-06          26376

Actually Todd you are exactly right--I was not meaning to be anything but funny. I tell people they are full of it all the time good naturedly and meant no different with you--we are not having a flame war, at least i am not and if an apology helps then I am sorry for questioning your--er--ah--whatever! Still, some of us like our BX's and even if you big tractor guys don't you may find yourself out numbered and surrounded by the tiny titans. The BX is more tractor than you guys give it credit for--if it had bigger wheels (which would defeat it's purpose) we would not even be having this discussion. J, RV ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Gerald

2001-04-06          26379

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions. I know this is a very controversial subject. I appreciate everyone's thought no matter how extreme. I bought a BX2200 with a rear blade for the following reasons: The 5 acres I mow is pretty manicured (no ruts or rough terrain), I only clear a few small Indiana snows from an asphalt driveway and because of price. No one likes to admit it but price is sometimes an issue (I still have not sold my old house). I also have access to a Case 1845C skidloader anytime I want it across the street. I used it last weekend to make several trails through the woods for my family's fourwheelers and had a ball doing it. Therefore I have no immediate need for a loader. I am very happy with my new Kubota, although I may want something different a few years down the road when I figure out exactly what my needs and capabilities are. Or maybe not. Thanks for all your help! ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Jeff Golden

2001-04-06          26380

Gerald:

I trust the BX will work out well for you. Kubota/John Deere/Case/New Holland/etc wouldn't be around in today's market (at their prices) if they made bad equipment. The most important thing is getting the equipment you like and fits your needs; all with the benefit of a good local dealer. For some people that's orange or green or red or blue or some other colour. Good luck with the tractor and the house as well!

My earlier post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I just get tired of the "let's chain them together and see which one pulls better" / "my orange can beat your blue anyday" mentality. ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
RV

2001-04-06          26386

Gerald, you really need to save your pennys and get the FEL, it works much better than you think it does and the BX will pull the Hades out of a 48 inch box blade and not only that but Kubota who takes their little BX serious is coming out with an equally useful backhoe unit for it that will also fit on other small B tractors. Good luck with your tractor. J ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
Todd

2001-04-06          26409

Congratulations Gerald,
You're gonna love your new toy. I'm guessing that if your ground is fairly smooth that the skidsteer (if that's what a skidloader is, and not a bucket/pay loader) will run circles around any of our tractors for loader work. Course a full size bucket loader would too, but those are HUGE. You now have the best of both worlds. A tractor that will cut great and still give you access to pto toys, and a kickass loader for the ultimate price of free99. Be safe with your BX. Todd ....

Kubota BX2200

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-07          26413

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and although I love my JD 4100 I have lots of respect for the BX. That said, there are times I wish I had a bigger machine. Last week I had to soak the ground when pulling one stake ... the loader's lift and machine weight weren't enough. I've also had all four tires spinning when furrowing, using R1 tires. The 4100 handled these things, but I had to slow down, take smaller bites, and soak the stake. The larger tractors have more disadvantages for me so I'm happy with mine. I can't stay if the BX would have been better or worse for me--I know I won't be entering a tractor pull contest(LOL). I'll just enjoy using mine and reading about yours. Best of luck. JonB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login