Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine and Transmission Fluid Capacities

View my Photos
Danny Hsu
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-18          22576

I recently change engine oil on my Kubota B7100HST-D and the dealer tells me my engine holds 4.5 quarts with filter change. After putting in four quarts, I started the engine to get oil pressure and turned off my engine to check my dipstick, the dipstick indicates I am one quart overfilled. The new oil looks dirty. I drained a quart from the crankcase until it shows full on my dipstick. The oil looks dirty for just running it for a few minutes. My question is: I am getting diesel fuel in my crankcase because I forgot to fully close my throttle lever hence the overfill? Question number two: What is some of the reasons for the transmission fluid to look milky? I bought my Kubota B7100HST-D used with 633 hours on it. The unit appears to operate satisfactorily but then this is my first tractor. The serial number is 62228. Can someone tell me what year it is? Thank you so much for all your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-18          22577

Danny, I don't know about all the B7100s, but if I remember right, when I had a 1995 B7100, it took 3.5 (or 3.4) quarts to change oil and filter, so you probably just put too much in it. And the oil will "look" dirty very quickly after you change it, especially if it was warmed up before you drained it to get all the old oil out. I don't know about the hydraulic oil, but think a milky appearance is usually due to either water in it or air from a little foaming. If it were me, I'd change the hydraulic oil & filter & clean the screens or strainers, and see if that didn't cure it. ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-12-18          22595

Could that 7100 have two oil drain plugs like the book says my 2710 does? If only one was drained than a full re-fill would show you overfull and still dirty. Just a thought! ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-18          22598

If it looks like dirty chocolate milk, then that is water in the oil. This is nothing to panic about. This is common in transmissions - due to condensation mostly, but also sometimes there is a leak around the shifter, vent, or something else on top of the housing. The oil rarely runs hot enough to evaporate the water out of the oil. This is why transmission oil should be changed annually. Change the filters too if the oil looks like you describe. If not, I change them every other time. Not a bad idea to throw a tarp over your tractor in wet weather either... ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-19          22602

KlayW, I have a B2710 now with the two drain plugs, but when I had a 1995 B7100, it only had one. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-19          22605

I don't know the B7100's HP, but 4.5 quarts does sound like a lot of oil for a compact. Owner's and repair manuals are good things to have, and I imagine they can be ordered from a dealer. I also believe there is a web site that carries manuals from an independent publisher (I may have the address somewhere). I wouldn't worry too much about where the throttle position is when the engine is off, or shutting off the fuel flow valve for that matter. Diesels are not like gravity fed gas engines where the carburetor float valve is the only thing preventing the crankcase from filling up with fuel. It would take a rare set of circumstances before diesel fuel would drain into the engine crankcase. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-19          22608

TomG, the B7100 is a 3-cylinder, 16 hp. When I had mine, I bought an aftermarket shop manual from Tractor Supply Co., but would not recommend it; not nearly as good as Kubota's manual. Of course, you're right about the other comments, and just for your information, the B7100 (or at least the 1995 model) didn't have a fuel shut-off solenoid, or separate fuel shut-off kill switch. When you pulled the throttle lever back to idle, there was a detent, and then pulling it back past that detent was the kill switch. ....

View my Photos
Danny Hsu

2000-12-19          22613

Thank you all for your comments. I don't have any manuals with my tractor as yet but I am going to get them soon. I checked the crankcase thoroghly and only found one drain plug. As for the transmission, I discovered a loose hydraulic line to my loader, and it could have been sucking air and causing air bubbles in the hydraulic systems. I don't know where the screen is or where the filter and drain plug is located. I will just have to wait until I get my manuals before doing any more maintenance. One more question: How do I engage and disengane the limited slip differential? You know, the foot lever on the left rear of the running board? I am not able to move it. Also, my fuel shutoff valve on the filter cannister will not close. Is there an interlock device attached? Thank you all again for your quick responses. I really enjoyed reading them and learning alot from you guys. Have a nice day from sunny San Diego. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-19          22625

Danny, I can tell you something about the 1995 B7100, and only hope yours is about the same. The hydraulic (transmission or whatever you want to call it) filter is under the little console. I'm guessing you have a little knob on each side that you remove, then you have to unscrew the knob from the speed set (cruise control) lever, two spring loaded hooks that hold the hood shut, lift off the console cover, and the filter is an upside down spin on. The screens or strainers are in the lines that go into each side of the tank (almost directly under the seat - under the floor of course), and darned if I know how to describe it; you need to look at the manual for a picture. And the little shut-off lever at the fuel filter should turn very easily unless it's damaged or seized. No interlock involved. And the differential lock pedal should depress easily with your left heel unless there's something wrong with it. ....

View my Photos
Danny Hsu

2000-12-19          22629

Bird Senter, Thank you Bird Senter for your post. I just found out from tractorsmart.com I have a 1990/1991 model and yes I ordered the operator and parts manual from them also. I think the filter is under the console cover. I will check it out soon. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-19          22633

Danny many used tractors we take in trade have the differential lock lever frozen up from lack of use. Try some WD-40 or equivelent and see if it will free up by wiggling it if that doesn't work you might need some heat. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-19          22642

Danny, some of the fuel levers do have interlocks. A common type of interlock requires that the lever be pushed in before it will rotate 90 degrees. One of mine is like that. Another one is always seizing up, and about once every few years I have to gently take it apart and clean up everything - whereupon it will work for a while. I think it is an interlock type like the first....but right now it is seized in the open position and I can't test it to see! If your injectors and injector pump are in good shape it won't leak into the crankcase.
I'll add my second to the fact that the diff lock seems to freeze up fairly often. I don't know why. Mine never has, but I've fixed a number of them for friends. Sometimes penetrating oil and measured abuse will free it up. Other times they want you to take off the lever and withdraw the rod to clean and grease it. You don't want to engage it while the wheels are spinning, but usually it requires constant pressure on the engagement lever plus gently rocking the tractor fore and aft with the clutch to get the lever to go down. Then you hold it down till you are done and it disengages by itself when you take your foot off the lever and load off of the drivetrain. ....

View my Photos
Danny Hsu

2000-12-19          22643

Bird Senter, KlayW in MI, Roger Loving Tom G and Srt White, Thank you all very, very much for your quick responses. You guys really know how to welcome a new member into your forum. I have only had my tractor for a week now and I have learn so much from all of you and really feel at home. Keep up the good work and I shall continue to enjoy CTB always. Have a nice day. Dan ....

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-12-20          22669

Speaking of differential locks. Do they work when you are backing up? I was out playing in the mud today, trying to back up to a spot that needed a post hole, I had my heel on the differential lock and noticed one rear wheel spinning the other standing still. Do they not work in reverse or is mine broken or am I not holding my mouth right? ....

View my Photos
Danny Hsu

2000-12-20          22671

Jacob, The truth of the matter is I don't know if my lever is stiff or froze. I am waiting for my operator's manual I ordered from Kubota yesterday before attempting to operate it. I was at the tractor shop last week and witness a broken transmission. The operator had his differntial lock engaged and was going around in circles and broke the gears. It is going to cost him about $1000.00 for the repair. Wish I can help you, but I can't. I will let you all know when I get my going next week. Happy Holidays from San Diego. Dan ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-20          22672

mbjacobs, I suspect you weren't holding your mouth right; the differential lock should work in reverse as well as forward. Sometimes when you step on the pedal, it doesn't go all the way down immediately (gears not lined up just right) and you have to turn a wheel just a little bit to get it to engage. Just don't try to engage it when a wheel is spinning. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-21          22674

I agree. Its a mouth thing. With some practice you'll get the hang of it. The diff lock works F and R, and is both easier to engage and easier on the tractor if you engage it when the tires are just barely rotating. Sometimes you have to hold heel pressure on the difflock lever for a complete rear tire rotation before the locking pin will slip in and lock the diff. You will feel the lever move under your foot when this happens. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-21          22675

Danny: Since you don't have manuals, you may not be aware that diff locks are not supposed to be used while steering the tractor. The steering doesn’t work very well and it's hard on the mechanics. To engage the diff lock, the front wheels should be centred and remain so while the lock is engaged. If you are new to tractors, there also are a number of safety subjects that are covered in most manuals. There also are safety discussions in the archives here and on other boards as well as some safety oriented web sites. I don't have any web references hands, but it's you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with safety issues if you are not already. ....

View my Photos
richard james allen

2000-12-21          22678

Rodger, did I understand your prior post that spoke of changing the transmission fluid each year? If so, are you using a synthetic UDT or the stuff that Kubota sells? I checked out the specs on the L3000 and it takes almost eight gallons of UDT. Also, how many hours are you putting on the machine in a year? Thanks, I am just trying to strike a balance between proper maintenance and 'total cost of ownership' ....

View my Photos
Danny Hsu

2000-12-21          22679

TomG, Thank you for telling me about the differential lock. I will wait for my manuals (it is in the mail from Kubota) and reading it thoroughly before I operate my tractor. By the way, I found the HST filter (NAPA 1361) under the console panel. I understand there is more than one drain plug on the transmission. Are other brands of transmission fluid compactible and cheaper? Although I am only 57 years old, I am on a fixed income. Happy Holidays from San DIego. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-21          22683

As far as the transmission oil, I see changes as being related to condensation more than any other factor. The transmission doesn't get hot, no combustion, shearing forces are within specs for the oil, and trans/hydraulic systems typically have excellent filters. Many have both a high and low pressure filter plus a pickup screen. So if it wasn't for the condensation I'd say to run the oil forever...In his case, when he started this thread he was clearly getting some water in that oil. So my annual advice was based on that. Until he pins it down and removes the cause I'd be changing it very often. At least once a year for him....maybe more. Regardless of expense.
I run dino juice, not synthetics and change them every few years... sometimes as long as as 5 years or more because my machines are under tarps, in sheds, out of the sun, a very dry climate, = no condensation. If yours is like that and you have synthetic I'd say it is a judgement call. Look at your oil and decide from that. I sometimes park on a hill and undo the bolt to let a cup of oil out and inspect it. I wouldn't be changing synthetic just because the date came up on a calender. It wouldn't hurt the tractor, but human nature is against it! ....

View my Photos
Danny Hsu

2000-12-22          22720

If I operate my tractor on a slope of about 8% grade up or downhill, should I be concerned about loosing oil pressure? Does anyone know where the oil pickup tube is located? I mean is it forward, center or towards the rear of the crankcase? I have a oil light and I am considering installing an oil gauge. What should the oil pressure be? Thank you all in advance. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-22          22723

Danny, I really don't know the answer to your questions about where the oil pickup is on your tractor and just what the oil pressure should be, but I know that I wouldn't worry about an 8% grade. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-12-22          22726

The slope is a good question. 8 degrees is not much what about a 20 to 25 degree slope? ( side ways & up & down) ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-22          22727

Dana, now you're talking about enough of a slope that I don't know. I mow one small strip on which I'm 15-18 degrees sideways (scares me and I sure don't intend to ever get sideways on one any steeper than that). To go up or down 20-25 degrees, I've never worried about it, but then I've never been on a slope that steep for very long at a time. Maybe someone else can help more with an answer here. ....

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2000-12-31          22952

I too am curious about the angle at which oil stops being supplied to the engines moving parts... I have a small 5'x8' trailer which I use to haul my little b7500 around on. The trailer tilts over the axle, and this is required to load my tractor due to the short gate/ramp on the back of the trailer. When you pull the tractor up onto the trailer and all the way to the front, the front of the trailer does not drop back down on its own... you have to actually go up and pull down on the loader to get it to drop. The angle is about 35 or 40 degrees up from the ground... I have never heard the engine make any noises like it was running dry so I just assumed it was ok. But I guess I should make sure before trying this again. I like my little trailer, and don't really want to buy a larger one for storage sake... if worst came to worst, I could make a taller gate/ramp for the back , that way I wouldn't have to tip the bed to load the tractor, and the angle wouldn't be so steep. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-01          22961

A sharp loading angle isn't a very good idea irrespective of the oil level. A simple loading dock dug in the side of a hill, or even a hole for the trailer wheels to sit in is easier and safer.

When we loaded my Ford 1710 on a flat bed this fall, it was raining. We parked the trailer part way down the grade on my drive to lower the angle but the turf tires spun on the wet ramp. We tried to use the loader bucket to push the tractor up the ramp. I believe the tractor was at least at the angles you mentioned, but the loader still worked. However, the ramp was too steep.

We next backed the trailer up to a cut beside the drive to get an even lower angle. Still had to push the tractor up the ramp with the bucket, but we got it loaded. It sure would have made the job easier if I would have dug out part of the cut to a vertical and put in a log retaining wall. That should be an easy job, and one I'm definitely going to do this spring.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-01-02          22987

The 35 to 45 degree's is safe on all the engine's I can think of but I have never seen any facts as to yes or no. When for our snow groomers powered by Perkins diesels they say 60 degree's up or down depending on the unit staying there. ....

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-01-02          23014

I agree, Tom, that a small loading dock would be nice, expecially when the trailer is wet or snowy... The angle is just too steep to get enough traction to keep the tractor from sliding back out of the trailer. One problem with the loading dock... there might not be one of those at whatever place I am taking the tractor. I think I will eventually build a longer gate/ramp for the trailer, but for now, tilting the trailer will have to do. ....

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-01-02          23015

Speaking of loading stuff, I have an interesting story. I once new a guy who hauled a rather large backhoe in the bed of his tri-axle dump tuck. To watch him load it was quite a show. As I describe this, remember that the floor of the bed on a tri-axle is around 4 feet off the ground. He would actually put the loader on the back of the dump bed, lift the front of the tractor into the bed, then turn the seat around and balance the rear end of the tractor into the air with the back hoe. Once the tractor's rear wheels were higher than the bed, he would push the whole thing into the bed with the hoe. I have never seen anything like it... And he unloaded it the same way. Thought you might enjoy this. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-01-03          23039

Must have been a frame-mounted backhoe :-). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login