Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B20 - What size Flail Mower and Blade Box

View my Photos
mzwilli
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2018-04-20          197688

Hi! Just got a 1995 B20 and want to get mower and blade box. Relative newbe, this is my first tractor w/PTO. PTO is rated at 13.5HP and I am wondering what this tractor can comfortably handle. I really want a 48" flail mower (says needs 20HP) and 5' blade box but not sure the tractor can handle. Step down would be 41" flail mower 16/18HP and 4' blade box. I'm assuming the these would be ok. Any thoughts or advice??
Thanks!!
-Marc.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2018-04-20          197690

Don't know what types of things you are planning to flail. I would go with the smaller implements. You still seem underpowered. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2018-04-20          197692

I agree with hogslayer. ....

View my Photos
mzwilli

2018-04-20          197693

Do you think the tractor could handle the small 41" 16hp flail mower?

It's a 20HP tractor, 3 cyl diesel but PTO rated at just 13.5hp. ....

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2018-04-21          197694

I have a 27HP tractor or twice the size. Have a 6 foot belly mower and blade. So half the size would be 3 feet. Seems your are at about the limit. What are you planning to flail? Real heavy stuff may be the issue.

You should be ok with the smaller blade. You want to atleast span the rear tread width with a little overhang of blade. ....

View my Photos
mzwilli

2018-04-21          197695

Yeah, my tread width is 48" ... So I'd want at least that wide for a flail mower, but that size says it needs 20hp. I want to cut thick grass and black berry bushes... Tractor is 20hp but the PTO rested at 13.5. I'd think the 3cyl diesel could do the job, but if hate to buy the more to find I couldn't run it ....

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2018-04-22          197696

Yes, you will want a mower and blade that overlaps the tread width. You seem to be at the limits of PTO power. I can't say for such that it will work satisfactorily. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2018-04-23          197705

In idea world you would have mower and blade wider then the outside of the tires. In idea world there are no briars or ruts either.

If you are running flail mower in light stuff you may be fine with wider mower but if heavy doubt it. Can you shift the mower to probably the right side where it will cover the full right tire? If so then you will know that side is fully cutting the tread width and the left side is not. Check on blade and see if you can do same with it.

Then run them centered on the tractor unless you need to cover the tread and slide the implement to the side. Some cutters and some blades are built to slide to the side (not all) and depending on the system on your tractor to stabilize the lift arms they may be able to offset the implement enough to cover the tread of one tire.

Options if you must run wider than desirable is to run lower gear for travel speed with cutter and maybe with blade but most likely on blade it will be lower the lift less or take lighter bite with the blade than you wanted to. Even if you have prefect match on hp to mower and blade those two happen as you will always run into bigger job than the idea world says will happen. If you are using a rear "blade" and not a box blade you can rotate the blade and that will make the blade narrower in the real cutting for the heavier work and then rotate to 90 degree to the tractor for the light work. If box blade not an option to rotate it.

View my Photos
Art White

2018-04-24          197706

Do to changes a few years back many recommended horsepowers are now on engine not PTO horsepower! I'd look at several makes and look at the size of the flails which is what will demand the horsepower as well as what you are cutting. Lighter flails require less horsepower which also is the determining factor in how big of stock you can cut!
The B-20 chassis is not your typical compact tractor chassis which means you could be able to pull the box blade although the amount of load you can carry may vary to the tractor and conditions.

View my Photos
mzwilli

2018-04-27          197716

Ok, so I am about to make a final decision on a flail mower! I have been researching, calling around etc. The Betstco /Farmers-Helper is the best priced, imported from China assembled and sold out of Oregon. Haven't heard anything bad about them.

My Kubota B20 has 20HP engine, 13.5HP PTO and is 48" wide. Been trying to decide between a 41" (16HP required) and 48" (20HP required).

The specifications state that, for the HP requirement ,"If your tractor has gear transmission this is PTO horsepower. If your tractor has hydro transmission this is engine horsepower"

Based on this, it sounds like I am within spec for the 48". I realize I am at the limit and will need to go slow for high brush but am thinking this is my best option.

I plan to order it next week, and will be monitoring this thread until then. Ultimately I will post my results once I receive install and use it. ....

View my Photos
mzwilli

2018-04-27          197718

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota B20 - What size Flail Mower and Blade Box

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This