Go Bottom Go Bottom

Thinking of buying Kubota but

View my Photos
Vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-20          1868

I'm thinking of buying a compact tractor, very likely a Kubota 1700 or 2100, but I'm having some troubling placing the price tag since I've paid less for NEW CARS (especially when accessories are added in)! I have 35 acres in Upstate NY. I'd use the tractor for finish mowing (2+ acres), landscaping, tilling, small hauling (garden supplies, rocks, gravel, snow clearing and some grounds maintenance. It would made my life so much easier, but neighbor and friends look at me like I have two heads when they learn the price (of course, they will be the ones knocking at my door for me to till their gardens). Do have to have $ to burn to buy one of these things? Is it a luxury? Should I look at as an investment? I mean damn, a dececent garden tractor costs at least $6,000.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jon

1999-03-21          1869

If you looking in this price range, consider the Deere 4100. Itseems to be more tractor than the B1700 at about the same price. Mydealer quote is $9995. It weighs slightly more, larger engine,etc. Despite the Kubota Source comparison (to B2100), the 4100 is roomyenough for big guys. I'm 6'4" and had plenty of room in a test drive.I think the B2100 may be more tractor, but at higher price.Consider carefully how much tractor work you want to do. If mowing is your principal job, a cheaper premium mower ($5000 or so) can handle 3 acres without problems and till good soil. If you have compacted soil,you need the larger tractor. Research lots, test drive, take your time.Check out the good information at:http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kb13/TF_home.htm ....

View my Photos
CDF

1999-03-21          1870

Vince,Your Neighbors must not be in the same situation as you, with all your property, or they would understand the need.I went the less expensive way four years ago, I bought a $7500.00 dollar Garden Tractor, I used it to finish mow 3 acers, snowplow and grade a 400' driveway, and hauling trailers around the property.It was a fine lawn mower, I spent about 3.5 hours a week doing my mowing, longer if the grass was tall. It was a pain to do the grading with the tractor, I had no 3PT hitch so I had to drag a steel I-beam over the driveway. It handled the snow just fine with a 54" blade, once in a while when the snow got over 12" it would push me around a little bit, no 4X4 on the rig, On occasion I would get stuck coming from the barn to the driveway.I put almost 400 hours on the unit, blew the rings on the left side, and had to replace the carb. It was tough to sell a 4 yr old Garden Tractor with 400 hours on the meter.This year a bought a new tractor, I looked at the b1700 and the b2100 as well, look like great tractors, I ended up with the JD4100 and I really Love it.The point of all this is, don't make the $6000-$8000 mistake that I did, buy a tractor now, so that 4 years from now its paid off instead of, 4 years from now shopping for the right tractor.Keep us informed - cdf ....

View my Photos

1999-03-21          1874

I own a Kubota B7300 for taking care of my few acres of well treed landscape. The usefulness and power of one of these compacts is amazing. My unit is as manuverable as my old lawn tractor and with HST is a breeze to operate. If you take care of the unit and keep it under a roof this tractor will last 2-3000 hours easily and run like a top the whole time. You would probably go through several lawn tractors for the life of a Kubota. The unit cost around $11,500 with Kubota deck(belly mount) which is not much more than a premium Deere lawn tractor, but a lot more versatile. Be aware after you have the unit you will ultimately want a number of attachments and they will probably end up costing up to $5000(loader, tiller, blade, brush hog?). If you plan to keep your property for 10 to 20+ years, you will not be sorry you bought the tractor and you will find that most of the landcare jobs will be a lot easier and much more enjoyable. Plus you have resale value if the tractor is taken care of. You should thoroughly look at the Kubota Source site(http://www.kubotasource.com/) before you buy, there are owners comments and price estimates for most new models. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
jack

1999-03-21          1875

I was thinking of buying a jd,kabota,ford (or new holland), but price turned me off. I checked into a china tractor called Ringo. It has all the basic and easy to work on. It's a 30 h.p. class 4x4. Price with loader was $13,ooo. Parts are available in Quakertown Pa. at Ringo Hill Farm Equip. I have 138 hr. and had it for about 1 yr. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-21          1876

Why would you pay $13,000 for at best suspect quality. Parts availability down the road will difficult at best. I have recently had 2 quotes on a JD 790 (30 HP, gear shift with loader) for $13,200 and $13,445. I have heard of even lower prices for the 790 here. I sure Kubota has something similarly priced. Either brand along with New Holland offers a lot of resale value. Resale alone on the chinese is going to be awful. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-21          1877

Yes for 99% of compact tractor owners (myself included) it is a luxury. If we are really honest then there is no question about it. The same jobs could be done with less expensive machines that do not last as long. I know several people with sub $1000 Sears lawn tractors that get 5 years or more out of them. That is 50 years worth of Sears lawn tractors for the $10,000 compact price, much more if you add interest. Another option is to hire the work done including mowing. If the average person took the 15 or 20 thousand and invested it. Then yearly added to it, the compact tractor maintenance costs, and subtracted from it the costs of having the grass mowed and the drive plowed etc. the payback for a compact would be 20 years down the road if ever. That does not even include the time spent mowing and plowing. To make it an even comparison your equvelent wages for this time, over the years, should be added to the pot as well. Most people do not own a compact tractor and survive just fine. This will be a very unpopular opinion here because everyone has rationalized the "need" for their compact to both themselves and their spouse. I still bought a compact. The way I "rationalized" it was that even though it is a luxury, so is a boat, a snowmobile, or a fancy car or truck. The compacts hold their value more than these other luxury items and last longer as well. I enjoy moving dirt as much as riding in a boat and it is cheaper and actually accomplishes something. Now to buy one just to mow the grass, unless you really enjoy it, there may be better ways. I found the best way to deal with friends and neighbors that started to give me a hard time about the cost was to point out the money they had spent on their fancy cars, boats and SUV's. Go ahead get one you deserve it, they are fun and that is a big reason for the purchase for most people even if they will not admit it. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-21          1878

The 99% was ment for homeowner use. There are lots of compacts used by landscapers, small farms, towns etc where the economics make a valid case and they are not a luxury. The question seemed to be asking for homeowner use. ....

View my Photos
Kevin

1999-03-21          1881

The statements that Fred has made should apply to most anyone that has purchased a tractor of any kind for non-commercial use. Very few people can afford or want to be farmers full time , but the attraction and satisfaction of lawn care, gardening, and grounds maint. is still there for many of us. I totally agree with the statements about other luxuries, the luxury of some type of tractor is a much better investment in the long run than some of the other he lists. A large portion of the enjoyment of this type of luxury is the looking and fact-finding before you buy. I really like the Kubota line (and can't really go wrong) but I don't own one. Take the time and enjoy this aspect of this "luxury purchase" and look at all the other makes including Cub Cadet, JD, Kioti, and "greys".Good luck and have fun ....

View my Photos

1999-03-21          1882

Excellent thoughts & presentation, but I bet you catch hell here. I couldn't agree more. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-22          1909

I will agree with all thatbut don't tell my wifeJocko98 L2350 DTand lovin it ....

View my Photos

1999-03-22          1910

Yeah you can get a Kubota L2500 4wd p.s 27hp with loader for 13,500 ....

View my Photos

1999-03-23          1913

When we built our 1st home ,we had major-league dirt work to do.I convinced my wife that instead of paying a contractor to do this job we should invest in a new Kubota to do all landscaping&grading.Then we could sell the tractor for approx. what we gave for it,"Kubota holds it's value".That plan worked,we purchased our B2150 in 1994,but we still have it,seems like there is always some project to be done.This is way I rationalized buying our tractor,but once you own one, you won't want to give it up.I think Kubota has terms now on financing,might be another way to look at it. ....

View my Photos
Ian Former

1999-03-24          1939

I agree, Although I do not own a Kabota (to rich for my blood)I am a home owner in the city (my mom has a hobby farm that I used as an excuse)and a compact tractor owner. In the begining all my neighbors said I was nuts of course they all own snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats, and other ATVs that have an off season compact tractors have no off season. I used it to remove an old garage foundation and till the entire back yard. We all live on a dead end that does not see a snow plow till well after a storm so I used my very compact Mitsubishi 15hp MT372D to do the removal they don't think I am so nuts now. I also do post holes, garden tilling, driveway gradeing, etc etc etc.If you want it get rid of the useless toys and get a useful toyI also think that a compact tractor should come with a warningDO TO USEFULLNESS OF THIS MACHINE YOU MAY NEED TO START A COMPANY FOR THE WORK YOU DO FOR ALL OF YOUR NEW FRIENDS!! ....

View my Photos

1999-03-24          1941

Cub CadetThis is just a Mitsubishi with a new name plate the Mitsus have been around under a couple of differnt names currently MTD Cub Cadet markets them (to bad about the MTD part)as long as you stay in the compact utility range you will be fine. DO NOT BY A CHINA TRACTOR!! I have a buddy who saved almost 6500.00 by getting a new china tractor he paid 2200.00 more than I paid for a 13 year old Mitsubishi. But I can get parts they cost alot but I can get them he has about 110hrs and it is falling apart things are just breaking and he is having a hard time with support.Good Luck Ian ....

View my Photos

1999-03-24          1956

Those "friends" that come around when they need something can usually be dealt with by bringing up cash or something to barter. These are the same ones that aren't around when you need a little help on something. Over at the Machinery Forum there was this guy complaining as he was finding himself with "friends" that he didn't even know! Good thread. ....

View my Photos

1999-03-24          1960

I am going to buy a compact tractor soon. My dilema is wiether to buy a gearbox tractor or a hydrostatic drive. Hydro being more $$$, is it worth it. I have 6 acres to deal with and need to prepare a garden spot, take down some brush and do general mowing. Is the cost of hydro justified? ....

View my Photos

1999-03-24          1971

I'm now learning toward a JD 4100. I can get a gear with the selective control valve to accomodate a loader for $10,800. My local Kobota dealers quoted me a B1700 and B2100 for $13,000 and $14,800 respectively, although those were hydros. (In my neck of the woods the hydro adds about 1700 to the JD4100).I drove a gear for the first time today -- not at all what I expected -- very easy and I anticipate no complications for any of the work that I plan. Some newcomers don't know this, but its not like a car -- you don't shift on the fly, so to speak, you start of in the gear that you want to end up in. Go see and test drive one. Be sure and ask about the differences in how the PTO runs gear v. hydro. I suppose everyone has an opinion on this (there can only be two -- gear or hydro and there is no guarantee that you won't change yours after you buy one. Welcome to the tribulations of the tractor shopper. Hope this helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login