Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Model for Stump Removal Part 1

View my Photos
mdpinh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-02-24          160572

Hi,

Just started looking to buy my first tractor .
I need one to dig out tree stumps and move rocks to clearland. What size models should I be looking at?

Mark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-24          160573

Tractors do many operations, but unfortunately the two you mention are not on the list. There are many ways to handle stumps (which shows that there is no one ideal method), and none of them involve tractors.

For rocks, depends how big, how deep, and in what, but generally a strong 4WD with a front bucket or rear scoop can help.

But I'd suggest thinking about how you will want to use the tractor long after the stumps and rocks are gone. Meanwhile, you could stake them out and hire a dozer to dislodge them with its blade. Then, if your tractor has a front loader you can move them to where you want them. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-24          160574

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpinh | view 160572
I need one to dig out tree stumps and move rocks to clear land. What size models should I be looking at? Mark

Mark, welcome to the board! :)

The real question is not "what size tractor do I need?"

It's "How big are your stumps?"

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2009-02-24          160582

I wonder how many stumps and the amoount of theat type of work. How much land? What else after the land is cleard? ....

View my Photos
mdpinh

2009-02-24          160585

Hi

Thanks for the in put.
I have about a dozen stumps herein Mass. and fifty on a sixteen acrea place in New york. I thought Kubota would be a good choice seeing I have dealers close by both locations. ....

View my Photos
IndyDave

2009-02-24          160587

I've got a Kubota 3130 & I grade roads, clear brush, trench, plow snow, etc. etc. etc. with it. I also clear stumps & move rocks. I have a backhoe (clears stumps) and a grapple attachment (grabs rocks). My 3130 is 33 HP - to give you an idea. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-02-25          160593

I think the real question is how big are the stumps? My 4310 Deere, (about 33-34 HP), with a #48 Deere backhoe will handle a 10-12 in. stump, but much bigger and it becomes a bit overwhelming for it. From that size on up you might get it done with a machine my size, but you better pack a lunch. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-02-25          160596

I'm with Frank on this one. The type of stump makes a difference too. If it's a shallow rooted tree it's doable, if it's deeply rooted you'll be in for a very long day. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-02-25          160598

Not a dealer but very pleased with my two Kubotas. But you still need to to list what you will be doing in better detail both to the size of stumps and when that work is done. Along the line of what Hardwood said about digging them, lifting them may be a bigger issue. Many rigs can dig a stump bigger than they can lift out once dug.

Not being smart for reading your comments you remind me of me when I first went to buy a tractor, not sure what all I wanted it for just wanted it. Glad the salesman was a true professional and would not take deal until we talked need. He really helped me a lot. Take a few minutes and write down what you know you will use it for, then write down what you think you will use it for. Then come back and fill in the details such as size of stumps and good estimates on how much they weigh and time frame you have for this. Will help you long term. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-02-25          160600

If these are big one time stumps, you will need a tractor/ backhoe bigger than will be handy for the reat of your dutys. Perhaps hire the stumps done if they are big ones then buy a tractor in the 30-35 HP range for your daily needs. You may not even need a backhoe then, but a front end loader and a box blade will be your best investments far as attachments for almost daily use. Mowers, tillers, on and on your attachment list will grow as you need them. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-03-02          160720

This thread is continued under part 2 please discontinue using this thread! ....

Link:   Kubota for Stump part 2

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login