Go Bottom Go Bottom

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
8x56mn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-20          159632

I have a B2150 with a Bush Hog brand FEL. My question is should I be able to lift the front of the tractor of the ground with the bucked down pressure. I cannot and was wondering if something is wrong or is this normal for my tractor size? It's a 24 hp 4 cyl.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-20          159633

8x56,

Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way?

My little Kubota B2100HST will easily lift the front tires off the ground. I've got a 21hp engine, with a Kubota loader.

Joel ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-20          159634

Is it because the FEL doesn't quite fit right?

Try putting some lumber or bricks under the bucket first.

If I put really tall tires on the front end of my tractor it wouldn't come off the ground either because it would run out of "down motion". ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
8x56mn

2009-01-20          159635

Well I never really noticed it before, perhaps it is bottoming out. I have forks on the bucket that stick out about 6 inches, I will try rolling the bucket until the forks are sticking down and try that. Thanks ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-20          159637

Is this an older loader that doesn't have two way cylinders? ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
8x56mn

2009-01-20          159638

The loader is only 3 years old, not sure what you mean by two way cylenders. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-20          159640

Two way cylinders have a hose or line to push or release hydraulic fluid from both ends of the mast cylinderrs that are along side of your tractor that lift and lower the mast of the loader. A three year old loader I would almost guarantee would have two way cylinders to provide up and down pressure both. Perhaps you are pushing the hydraulic lever beyond the lowereing position to the float position where there will be no pressure in eigher direction. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
8x56mn

2009-01-20          159641

Yes, it deffinatly has two way cyl's. I know what you mean about the float position, I'm not doing that. When I apply down pressure and the bucket is on the ground you can see the front of the tractor rise up a liitle bit and the tires loose traction, but never realy lifts off the ground several inches like I have seen some tractors do. I'm wondering if the after market FEL is real not set up correctly as someone mentioned. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-20          159642

I passed on a New Holland TC33D that did as you described

By Hardwood's suggestion about 2-way cylinders they're also called double-acting, or in other words they use pressure to extend thenm and rely on gravity to retract them. Igf they use gravity don't expect any down pressure othe than the weight of the bucket and load.

Down pressure or the ability to retract the cylinders depends largely on the cylinder rod diameter versus the cylinder inside diameter. If the rod dia. is fairly close in size to the cylinder diameter, there will be little down press. However, if the rod dia. is much less than the cylinder, AND it is double-acting, it will have the ability to power retact. A cylinder can push more than pull because the rod's volume has to be subtracted from the total volume. For exmaple, if a cylinder can push 10,000 lb. and the rod'volume takes up 50% of the volume on the pull side, it can only pull 5,000 lb. So if your machine is rated at say 600 lb. lift, and the cylinders have 90% of the pull side dedicated to the rod, you can effectively pull only 60 lb.

That said, under high-traction situations there can be a perception that the machine has down pressure only because the rear wheels are driving forward forcing the loader arms to retract which lifts the front of the tractor off the ground. And doing this while rolling the bucket down will do the same thing. But, if you try to roll the bucket with the machine not moving chances are you won't be able to lift the front off the ground, but the loader will go up. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-20          159643

Ok, as someone else suggested put a couple cinder blocks under the bucket then see if it will lift the front wheels higher. That will determine whether there is something really wrong or if the loader just isn't set up to lift the front wheels any higher than they do now. On level ground my 4310 Deere with a 430 loader will lift the front wheels two or three inches above the ground with the bottom of the bucket flat on the ground. Frank. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-20          159649

Frank, what happens when you go to uncurl the bucket--does it raie the loader and the machine anymore> You have a larger machine so it probably will with ease, The New Holland I tested would barely pic itself up which was a concern as the seller was trying to show me the supposed benefits of removing and installing the MMM using the FEL. No go. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-20          159655

EW; Will the uncurl of the bucket lift the front of the tractor off the ground? Yes, it will, but the more counterweight the easier it will do it. The boxblade on the three point makes it easier for it. When I use the backhoe I curl the bucket to wherever it levels the machine. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-20          159657

Franky, when you say "easier" what do you mean exactly? You really shouldn't notice (hear) any difference curl/uncurling with or without counterweight. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
SamSpade

2009-01-20          159663

Not long ago I was using a friends 855 JD (I think that was the model, 8 something anyway). I got it stuck when I broke through the frozen crust around the manure pile I was trying to dig into. I tried using the bucket to lift the front end to get it clear and much to my surprise, it couldn't do it. It did have down pressure, just not enough. I am not sure what horse power the tractor was. I just assumed that on a smaller tractor it didn't have enough lift in the bucket to pickup the machine. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-21          159666

I have a B2150 also, with a Kubota loader. It picks up the front end easliy. With the front edge of the bucket down, it will probably lift the tires 8-10" off the ground. Even with a flat bucket, it will lift a few inches. I've had to use it more than once to back out of a hole I was in! ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
8x56mn

2009-01-21          159669

Well I got home last night and went out to the shed and started up the tractor, the bucket was on the ground all the way and the cyl. appereared to be retracted all the way. I lfted up the bucket and placed a block of wood under the center of the bucket and applied down pressure and wala the front end of the tractor raised up about 6 inches, the height of the block of wood. Conclusion, I realy have no problem, just thought I did. Thanks to all who took the time to respond. This site is great. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-01-21          159676

EW; Ok let me "Splain it tu ya". I don't know about other brands but. Stand back a bit from the side of the loader looking at the bucket cylinders and how they are connected to the bucket curl mechanisim. OK, gotcha that far. Now study the geometry of how the curl mechanism works in relation to the pivot point of the bucket. At full curl or uncurl, either way the cylinders have a lot harder job of moving the bucket under load because of the poorer mechanical advantage compared to half way thru the cutl cycle. SOOO, with the bucket bottom flat on the ground the gepmetry of the curl is at it's poorest position so I can feel a bit of strain with no counterweight on the three point that would offset part of the front end weight of the tractor. Class dismissed. ....

bucket down pressure

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159689

SamSpade: Generally speaking when it comes to hydraulics anyway, there's not really a HP-to-ability relationship. For example, my 8,500 lb. self-propelled telescoping manlift will easily raise a 1,000 lb. load 40 feet up and propell itself at the same time--at a fast idle---using only a 20-HP gas engine. It's all hydraulic.

What is a function of hydraulic ability is what I mentioned earlier about the relationship of the rod diameter to the cylinder diameter---the closer that relationship is, the less retractability power there is. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login