Go Bottom Go Bottom

What models should i be looking at

View my Photos
mongrelcat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-25          153254

I'm on a 100 acre farm in CT, and we need to build a lot of fences to contain large and small animals.

We figure a mid-size unit, 50-60 HP, 4WD.

We'll need a loader and backhoe attachment to start.

What are the models we should be looking at?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-25          153261

Mongrelcat,

I believe you'll need something a bit bigger than a 50 horsepower tractor for your operation. You might look at the Kubota M6800 models.

For general farm use -- and especially when dealing with cattle operations, where changing out the loader implements occurs quite frequently -- you will probably want a quick-tach loader with the quick-tach buckets, forks, etc. You may also need a grapple for handling bales, feeders, etc.

Cattle need to be fed even during the worst weather conditions, which may require getting a 4WD model, depending the type of soil and weather conditions you face.

If you make your own hay, you'll likely need something with at least two rear remote outlets, so that you can operate the necessary hydraulic cylinders on your balers, haying equipment, etc.

Take a look at the 60-80 horsepower tractors available on tractorhouse.com. You should be able to find something there that meets your needs.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-26          153262

I'll take a bit of a differeent aproach. mfind a local major brand dealer withy lots of livestock , manure to haul, big bales to move and maybe a bit mof row crop work I'd be looking at two tractors. a good used 30 yr old 75-90 HP row crop, meaning thart the tread width is adjustable to match what ever row spacing you may have for probably 6-8000. then a smaller compact in the 35 Hp range for the lolader wile the big tractor is hooked to the spraeder etc. there are lots of good 5-10 yr. old major brand compacts with a loader and backhoe to match. The part of loader and backhoe to match is pretty important, the mounting points, hydraulic flow, hydraulic pressure are matched to the tractor you buy. I'm really guessing here but I'd say you can buy a used 35 HP. compact with losder and backhoe to properly fit for 17-21000. Other rear mount three point impliments can be of any brand long as the hitch is a standard three piont. Try to buy both tractors from a LOCAL major brand dealer, they will be there down the road for the parts and service you will need, plus you may get a better buy if both come from the same dealer. I get a lot of flack here for this, but stay away from E-bay, Craigs list etc. you are likely to get junk or even worse somethinmg stolen. just my thoughts. Frank. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-26          153263

Sorry, I forgot to mention getting a compact with four wheel drive is pretty imoportant. You can buy two wheel drives pretty cheap, but you won't be happy esopecially with loader work. In my first post I really meant to say that you had the livestock, not the dealer. guess I was still sleepy. Frank. ....

View my Photos
fialfa

2008-05-13          153670

Is this part of Action Wildlife or are you creating something similar? If new, whereabouts in CT? My kids love this type of place.

Ed ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-14          153675

Make a list of what you'll use the rig for. You don't need the hoe or that much power just for setting posts. If you won't be mowing lawns, you'll want ag-tread tires.

You can get attachments as you need them, but you make a better deal if you know what you want all at once. The exceptions are the loader and the hoe, which you'd be better off getting already on the tractor (whether new or used).

If buying used, either get an owners manual with it or a good walk-through on maintenance and service. ....

View my Photos
mongrelcat

2008-05-15          153729

Quote:
Originally Posted by fialfa | view 153670
Is this part of Action Wildlife or are you creating something similar?If new, whereabouts in CT?My kids love this type of place.Ed

No, what is Action Wildlife?
This is a private place....

I'm in eastern CT.

I'm concerned about a few people saying I won't need a backhoe for the posts.....it doesn't seem like an augur or posthole digger is going to work...

what else could i use beside a backhoe? ....

View my Photos
fialfa

2008-05-16          153731

Action Wildlife is a private sancuary in Goshen CT with all kinds of animals. Every time I go by, they have expanded and added more.
I'm shopping for my first tractor too and both the JD (Stanton) and Kubota (R&S) dealers have been helpful. Part of what I'm going to be doing is extending pasture and adding fencing. I'm starting with a post hole digger and then in the rocky areas will use the backhoe. I was told that when using the backhoe for posts, just use the smallest bucket you have so that you disturb as little soil as possible.

Good Luck,

Ed ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-05-16          153733

Look at the M-5040 four wheel drive with loader and go for a hydraulic drive auger for your posts. I can't say that a backhoe is not a nice option but I wouldn't be using one for fence posts. You woould have so much loose dirt it would be hard to get the post tight without a lot of work. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-05-16          153738

We one time set a row of posts in a property line fence soon after the trees and brush were grubbed out with a dozer. Next step was a PTO auger for postholes, I think roots are worse than rocks. After a couple hours, probably 20 shearpins later we had a couple holes dug, end of that story. I went home got the backhoe, dug a trench, kids set the posts in, done in a half day. But, as Art said they had to settle a year before they wewe solid enough to put the wire up. Frank. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-05-16          153739

Mongrelcat, there's no one best way. Depends on what you're digging into, what kind of posts you're setting, how many, what the fence's job will be, how long you want it to last, and what equipment and helpers you have.

For wood posts, I'd creosote especially the post area from the bottom to above ground level, use an auger a few inches bigger than the posts, pour quick-dry cement in the hole, set the post, adjust to plumb, and make sure it stays till the cement hardens. If the soil is stable you can use tamped gravel instead of cement.

For metal posts, you can use (four options from cheapest to costliest) a sledge on the post or (on) a post driver, or a loader bucket or hoe to drive it. Which is why I pointed out that you don't NEED to get a hoe. (With a driver, you can sledge it down, or you can pile-drive it with the driver itself, though you get a little better directional control by holding the post with the driver and sledging the driver. Onto my driver I welded hold-handles and whacking ledges near the opening, so on a tall post I don't have to hit the top which is way up there.)

View my Photos
lamarbur

2008-05-17          153748

Living in CT myself and having a much smaller area, 12 acres to your 100, I would be seriously looking at the new Kubota M59 TLB. I have the now smaller L 48 TLB and consider it bullet proof. Especially because of our rock, rock ledge, cliffs, and did I mention more rock? THe new M 59 would do all that you need and then some. ....

View my Photos
mongrelcat

2008-05-19          153790

I guess we ~will~ have to set the posts in concrete if we're going to use a backhoe to dig the holes, now....
but i'm curious about TLB's - why would one buy a TLB over a utility tractor w/attachments? ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2008-05-19          153795

you can hang a hydraulic post hole digger from the end of the dipper stick of a backhoe and drill at least two holes before moving the machine.. I am right up on top of CT on I 84 and the MAss state line... Tons of rock and rock ledge.. The TLB has helped immensly to make useable the property, much more so than any general purpose compact tractor witha few implements could ever dream of doing. Don't forget too, that the backhoe removes and I have the same useable 3pt hitch that the other tractors have. ....

View my Photos
mongrelcat

2008-05-20          153811

lamarbur, i'd like to talk to you more, but i don't see an option on this MB for PMing.

How can I contact you? ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2008-05-20          153813

send me a direct e-mail to lamarbur@cox.net ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-05-20          153815

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelcat | view 153811
lamarbur, i'd like to talk to you more, but i don't see an option on this MB for PMing.How can I contact you?

If you will click on the person's name they use (such as lamarbur) in large blue print, it will bring up their info and if they have it set to receive private messages you can from there. kt ....

View my Photos
mongrelcat

2008-05-20          153827

thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login