Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-06          151968

I own a 1998 L2900 and am having tranny problems.

1. The tractor will only take off from a stand still in the 4 lower gears and only moves in 3rd or 4th with high RPMs

2. Any resistance like inclines or mud requires down shifting to 1st or 2nd

3. 5th and 6th gears operate once the unit is moving but the tranny disengages when you move into the road gears (7th and 8th)

4. No reverse in 6th, 7th or 8th

The engine, pto and FEL all operate as they should. Does this sound like the main clutch or the hydraulic clutch for the GST? I'm waiting on a service manual but am hoping someone can give me some pre-emptive help.

Please help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-06          151977

For you to have problems you do I don't think that it is the main clutch but the GST system. We've had a couple of isolated problems but nothing like what you have. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-06          151979

Thanks for the reply Art. If it is the GST system, are there external adjustments that can be made? Will the tractor need to be split? Any insights, info or past experiences would be appreaciated. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
newholland10

2008-03-07          151988

how much free travel do you have on your clutch pedal?you might try adjustin it. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-07          151989

I don't think that it is the main clutch, if it has been adjusted right. The cable system on the side do stretch and make the gears so they don't align right but that is consistant in every gear. It does almost sound like the clutch and if you have not tried that adjustment it should be first but depending on how long you have been putting up with this issue the clutch more then likely would be extremely worn from operating it this way.

For the clutch to be bad at the minumum the tractor would need to be split, as well as if the plates on the GST are bad. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-07          151990

The clutch pedal has less than an inch of travel. It feels like it engages the lower gears fully and operates without any problems. Just not in the upper gears.

I've only had the tractor a short while and have only worked it in the 3 lowest gears. This past weekend was the first time I took it on the road and discovered the problem.

If it has to be split and the GST clutches replaced, does anyone want to ballpark the cost? ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-07          151993

Before you go to far down that road, a little more detail on the problem might help with the diagnosis.

I've owned a whole BUNCH of those GST setups over the years, you'd have to really work to take the clutch out under normal operating conditions.

The parts that are still unclear to me are (numbers match yours);

1. What happens when you try to pull away a higher gear? Does the engine lug down and stall out, or rev up like it's in neutral?

2. Again, what happens, does it lose power, rev's, both, or just spin up like it's in neutral?

3. Clarify "disengages". Like it's hitting neutral?

4. What happens when you select reverse? Or will it just not shift into reverse at all?

One of the strange quirks about this machine is that if the cable is out, as Art mentioned can happen, then it can do funny things. The cable can, and does, sometimes accumulate a bit of dirt and moisture, in cold weather this can cause it to jam up some. Since the shifter also activates the automatic shift clutch setup, if the mechanism senses you are trying to shift, it will clutch waiting for you to finish shifting before engaging again. If the shifter is only moved part way, it just hits a sort of neutral and stays there.

This problem happens mostly when the machine is used in just low gears, or parked altogether for a period of time.

Best of luck.

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-07          151994

MURF WROTE: The parts that are still unclear to me are (numbers match yours);

1. What happens when you try to pull away a higher gear? Does the engine lug down and stall out, or rev up like it's in neutral?
1.1 The tractor behaves as if it is in neutral. I don't think the revs change at all.

2. Any resistance like inclines or mud requires down shifting to 1st or 2nd.-- Again, what happens, does it lose power, rev's, both, or just spin up like it's in neutral?
2.1 The tractor simply looses forward speed and either stops like it is in neutral or if it overcomes the resistance regains the speed

3. Clarify "disengages". Like it's hitting neutral?
3.1 Yes

4. No reverse in 6th, 7th or 8th -- What happens when you select reverse? Or will it just not shift into reverse at all?
4.1 Like it is in neutral. At first I thought that there simply was no reverse in the road gears.

Great questions, I hope this helps. Will the service manual help diagnois something like this?

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-07          151997

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

One last question, and it's pretty important, have you made it work, really work, in low gear yet? By work I mean, have tried plowing snow, pushing or pulling something reasonably heavy? Or if it has a FEL have you tried pushing into a pile or dirt or snow yet?

I ask this because it's sounding more like the GST is hitting neutral, waiting for a shift that never happens.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-07          152002

The most I've done was to push some snow around with the FEL. No problems in 1st - 3rd.

My mother in law got her car buried to the axle in mud when she pulled off of her road into her yard and called me to pull her out. That's when I discovered that the road gears didn't work. The tractor pulled her out in 1st gear without any problem.

After I got home I placed the FEL against a tree and was able to spin the tires while in 4wd in 1st and 2nd gear. I didn't try any other gear range. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-07          152003

AHA!!!! LOL

So, it doesn't sound at all like it could be your main clutch. Also the fact that there is just one shift clutch on the GST system means that when it goes, it goes out for all gears equally, but you still have some working just fine, so it doesn't sound like that's the problem either.

It's sounding more & more like the problem is in the shift mechanism.

Try working it some, start in 1st and just start going up one gear at a time to 8th and back several times and see if it doesn't loosen up, or at least get better. When you get to the last gear that works right, go back & forth till it stops acting up, then go up one more and repeat till they all respond.

As I said, we used to have problems with sticky mechanism if the machine sat too long, or wasn't shifted into higher gears for a long period of time.

Best of luck.

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-07          152005

Murf, thanks for the info I'll try your sugestions this weekend.

I'm a bit more encouraged than when I discovered the problem and thoght I'd be splitting a tractor.:) ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-07          152006

Think of it this way.

With the exception of the auto clutch system for the GST option, the trans is basically a regular 8 speed manual gearbox with a clutch.

If you know much about things mechanical you know the power can't get from the crankshaft to the TX without going through the clutch. Now, the most power a machine makes in it's lowest gears, so if the clutch is weak, it will give first under the most load, namely working hard in lower gears.

Yours passes that test, your mother in law can attest to that, thankfully. ;)

If you are going to try working it in a bit over the weekend, try giving all of the visible mechanism a good soaking with some sort of penetrating oil first.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-10          152049

Well, it's time for the Monday morning status report. Over the weekend I hooked up the back blade and graded my road. Going down grade I could pull a lot of dirt in 3rd but honestly it seemed like it wanted to be in 2nd. Going up grade required 1st on the steepest incline and 2nd on the rest. Overall it behaved like any other tractor I've used, it just took a lot longer in 1st and 2nd gear.

The property at my BIL is nearly flat so while there I tried taking off in all the different gear ranges. Much to my surprise it did move both forward and reverse in all gear ranges including the road gears. Reverse seemed to engage more quickly than forward (forward sort of feathered into gear if that makes any sense) but it did move. That being said, it lost any momentum and motion if it ran into any resistance just like before.

It reminds me of an old pickup I had. The tranny was bad so if the fluid was low or if you tried climbing a hill, you'd have to give it a lot of RPM to get it moving or to keep it moving. I know nothing about the GST system and haven't yet received the manuals I ordered so this may be a stupid question but, is it possible that this is a fluid issue? I don't even know where the sight window or dip stick is to check.

That's it for today. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES
Posts: 75 187 Valentine Road, Charlton/Ballston Lake, NY 12019

2008-03-11          152077

Make sure you are using the proper fluid, filters and it's at the proper level.
L2900 has a sight gauge located in the rear, down near the PTO.
Kevin ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-11          152086

I received my service manual today and it says to check the GST System Pressure and the pilot pressure with a pressure gauge and an adaptor. It does not, however, give a part number for the adaptor or any more information about it. Will I need to get the "adaptor" from a Kubota dealer? I assume that a hydraulic pressure gauge is different from a pneaumatic pressure gauge, is this something I can pick up at an auto parts store?

Murf and Emerich, thanks for the help so far but don't give up on me yet :) ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES

2008-03-12          152092

You should be able to buy a hydraulic pressure gauge from Snap-On, Napa or any hydraulic place. Most of the adapters you should be able to make up there also.
Kevin ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-12          152094

Emerich, thanks for the reply. It was a rushed evening last night but I did have a chance to look at the tranny sight glass. The service manual shows half the glass should be full of oil, mine is at 1/4 or less. I'll pick up some Super UDT this weekend and pray that it helps.

Curt ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-12          152095

Curt, be sure that when you are checking the oil level the machine is parked on a fairly flat & level surface, has the FEL and 3pth in the full down position and has been shut down for a few minutes to allow all the oil to drain back down into the sump.

If, for example, the FEL and 3pth is up a ways, the oil level would be artificially lower by the amount of volume in the lift cylinders front and back.

Also, if it's been a while, and you're going to the dealers anyways, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up anew filter and enough Super UDT to change the fluid completely.

Glad to hear you're making some progress.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-14          152145

Last night I picked up some UDT and brought the level to where it should be. Unfortunately it had no effect on the GST performance :-(

So I guess I'm on to checking the system pressure, pilot pressure and clutch pack pressure. The procedure in the manual is very straight forward but I'm still unclear what they are refering to when they say:

1. Install adaptor "D" (or adaptor "7"), and then install the threaded joint, cable and pressure gauge.
Q: Are the threaded joint, cable and adaptors parts in a hydraulic gauge set that an authorized service center would have?
Q: If I bought a gauge set should I expected that these components would be included?

I guess I thought that you would simply thread the gauge's line directly into the port like a compression gauge for a car cylinder.

2. The ports are shown as (PT 1/8), I assume that this means "Pipe Thread 1/8 inch", is this correct?

Thanks for being patient with me, this is a learning experience. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-14          152146

No worries. ;)

The references in the shop manuals are always to the Kubota tool kit and its nomenclature. Don't worry about it, any gauge with a maximum scale of about 3,000 psi will work just fine.

I suspect you're right about the pipe thread size, but it might be safer to just park the machine, and remove the plug and take it with you to get the bits & pieces. Be aware, this is a Japanese machine, the fittings could be metric sizes, which is likely why the reference to the 'adapter', it likely takes it from a metric hole to an imperial sized pipe thread.

All you need is a gauge (about $10) and a hose long enough (and strong enough to hold the pressure obviously) to be able to sit in the operators seat and watch it.

It still sounds to me though like a machine that just needs a good work-out. When the GST sits too long without shifting they get sticky.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-20          152291

Well it stopped raining and warmed up enough to pull the plug on the GST test port. As I suspected, there is a pin in the center that is pushed out by fluid pressure against the adaptor/cable end which then pushes against the guage. It doesn't look like a standard hose/guage setup would work. :-(

I did a little more grading this weekend and 4th is not working as well as before. With the weather changing and work to be done, I decided to bite the bullet and call the nearest dealership to pick it up and diagnose the problem. They'll haul it for $1 a loaded mile ($60 round trip) and thought that it could be diagnosed in less than a 1/2 hour ($30). While they have it they are going to check the pto torque to determine the condition of the main clutch.

They wouldn't speculate on what could be wrong but said they should be able to tell me by the end of the day what the problem is and the cost of repair.

If you're praying people, send one up for me. :-)

Curt

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-20          152297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand2ThePlow | view 152291
If you're praying people, send one up for me.:-)Curt

Just wondering, does God heal tractors too? Have to admit I have more than once said a prayer when looking for a solution. A good prayer always helps the person doing the praying. kt ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-20          152299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand2ThePlow | view 152291
If you're praying people, send one up for me.:-)Curt

The Word says we can do anything if we believe and do not doubt, it's the 2nd part that usually trips me up :-) My God is faithful, even when it comes to tractors that won't shift.

They picked it up about a 1/2 hour after I called, so now it's just a waiting game for the phone to ring.

Curt ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES

2008-03-21          152305

You did the right thing taking it to a dealer. You want someone familiar with the Kubota Hydraulics & The right tools working on this.

I looked up the cost of the Kubota HYD Pressure Test Kit and it has a Dealer Cost Of $800.00

L-Series, Hydraulic Pressure test kit. This is a kit for hydraulic testing for L-Series Tractors. It contains 3 gauage and serval different fitting for testing presures on Kubota equipment. The fittings can also be used with flow meters to flow rate a hydraulic system. The kit comes with a case to contain and maintain the fitings and gauages.

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-03-25          152401

Well, the verdict is in. The dealership called and said it's the main clutch :-( The cost is better than expected: parts and labor is estmated @ $1550.00. I asked what the cost would rise to if the flywheel needed to be replaced or resurfaced and was told they had figured resurfacing into the quote.

I'm not happy but it explains the price I paid. Even with $1500 in repairs I'm still under the average sale price I've seen advertised for this model.

They hoped to get started on it today and said it was still possible to get it back this week. That would be nice since it's supposed to get into the '60's this weekend and I've got a lot of work to do.

Curt ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
Hand2ThePlow

2008-04-14          152952

I finally got the L2900 back friday afternoon. They backed it off the trailer, did the paperwork and off they went. I went in the house got my key and .... nothing. The starter did not spin not even a sputter. :-( It was raining, it was cold and I was not a happy camper.

Saturday wasn't much better weather wise but inbetween drizzle showers I went out hoping to find a safety switch or interlock that must have been out of adjustment. It was very frustrating because when they deliverd it, he just stuck in his key, turned the switch it started right up. Finally called it a day and hoped for weather more condusive to find the problem.

Sunday afternoon I called my BIL to come over and lend a hand. He tried everything I'd already tried, push in the clutch, set the brakes, jiggle the PTO switch, put the tranny in N, put the shuttle in N. Then it happened, the starter turned! Then it wouldn't do it again. We finally tracked it down to the micro-switch on the shuttle lever. After a slight field modification to the brand new switch, I was off and running.

The new clutch makes for a totally different machine. The machanic said that when they picked it up they didn't think it was the clutch since it operated well in the low gear range, but when they split the tractor he said that it looked like a rat's nest, worst they had ever seen. They checked out the rest of the tractor for me while they had it and said that over all it was very sound.

Total cost including pickup and delivery: $1381.56, $200 below the estimate. I'm just glad to get this whole affair behind me.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and offered support.

Curt ....

Kubota L2900 GST Problem

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES

2008-04-14          152961

Glad to hear your up and Running ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login