Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7800 coolant temps

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-12          151286

I've seen it here before where people are thinking that the coolent temp gauge on a Kubota reads cold. So with it 22 degree's outside and engine warmed enough to cook you out of the curtis soft side cab the temp gauge was at the top of the C and the engine temp was 170 degree's on the top radiator hose. This was after about thirty minutes of driveway clearing with the loader and a ten minute warm-up. Cab was comfortable after the first two passes and the gloves came off and the jacket unzipped.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-13          151304

I have found the same thing with our machines.

I think it's just a quirk with the range of those gauges which aren't labeled in digits so other than 'C' or 'H' you don't know what it's reading.

Mine was barely off the end post this morning but I had the heat turned way down and the A/C compressor running to defog the windows and it was still hot enough that poor old Deputy Dog was panting away.

I nearly sheared off half the garden though when I flushed a jack rabbit out from under a spruce tree along the driveway and the mutt decided to go crazy in the cab trying to get at him, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
randywatson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-13          151310

Murf, didn't anyone ever tell ya dogs can't drive tractors.

reminds me of when I used to push a police k-9 he had a real hi prey drive, he'd love to chase anything man or beast, I had to keep the cage door shut and locked or he'd be in the front seat diving out the window across my body when he saw someone along the road.

oops sorry sir, i know you were waiting on the bus, but my dog thought you were a bad guy when he latched on... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-13          151312

Randy, have a look at my picture # 4, Deputy Dog is the one on the left.

That tug-toy isn't the only thing that gets that treatment. He has left a 'lasting impression' on all sorts of critters, both 4 legged and 2.

If it has an engine, moves under it's own power, and I'm at the controls, be it tractor, truck, car, boat, airplane or anything else, he had better be on board or all heck breaks loose!!!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-02-13          151314

Cool dogs, as I understand they are great... I have a few but none of the current like to travel, some of my previous loved it, but now if I take em along I have to clean puke, kinda takes the fun outta it so they stay home. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-13          151321

Somewhere I have a video my (then) wife took out the window of the plane while I was in a very tight orbit on station over a friends place.

Clearly visible in the rear view mirror is Deputy Dog 'standing' with 2 feet on the side window, and the other two on the headliner, tail wagging to beat the band enjoying the view. He is so used to the centrifugal force that he just walks up the wall and across the roof. I used to put him in a harness but he doesn't like it. He prefers floating loose, he often hovers during steep dives or drops from turbulence, doesn't even phase him, if it's not an abrupt change he doesn't even wake up sometimes.

My girlfriend on the other hand, not nearly as calm.....

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-02-13          151324

You've got to get a picture of deputy dog walking across the roof. That I've got to see! ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-02-13          151326

I'd like to see that too...

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-13          151329

Ok, I'll have to do some digging around.

In the interim, this is one a friend sent me, it's not me or my dog, but just another example of the same deal, dogs either don't seem to mind it, or get real sick, no middle ground.

Enjoy the chuckle.

Best of luck.

Link:   Zero Gravity Dog.

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-02-14          151342

Man am I on tractor point or not. Are the b7800's running cold or not? I have changed my thermostat and it still low.

Lee ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-14          151346

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejohn | view 151342
Man am I on tractor point or not. Lee

TP to me is a lot like the local farmers gathering place of what ever kind of store it is in your area. You can learn a lot but the best advice may not come directly. Rather a piece of wisdom or advice here and a piece there with lots of real life advice you just may need and not realize it.

I have learned do not fly on any airline that used dogs for crew or to use them for equipement operators! :)

Murf, some things have sure changed in my life time. When I was growing up to be "treated like a dog" was not good at all. Boy has that changed in North America, at least for most to the good. Not sure for Pitt Bulls. kt ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-02-14          151348

LeeJohn, get a true temp reading as originally stated that h/c gages aren't the most accurate things around. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-14          151349

LeeJohn, as was stated, we do tend to wander a bit in our conversations around here. ;)

However, back to tractors. The only way to tell what your machine is doing is to get a kitchen thermometer, find a cheap thermistor type (the kind that read very quickly and have a digital display) and get your tractor thoroughly warmed up and at running temperature with the rad cap loose (to prevent and pressure build up) and when you know it's warm, take the rad cap the rest of the way off and take a reading of the coolant temperature.

I'm willing to bet it reads about 175°.

I firmly believe that the Kubota gauges just show a very narrow range of temperature. It seems that they only indicate temps above ~165°. That being the case, bottom of the gauge is 'normal' running temperature.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-02-14          151350

Murf,
thanks for the clarification on the how to, I tend to assume how too knowledge.

Cool dog photo ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-14          151356

Is there a digital made by someone else that could be used on the Kubota? Or is it the sending unit the issue? kt

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-14          151357

I don't know whether it's the sender or the gauge, logic tells me it's the gauge, but who knows, it could be that they are using a much less expensive sender unit that is only accurate in the required range.

All I know is that after making a fleet of equipment with Kubota engines work VERY hard for a lot of years is that the only way to overheat or even get one running above normal, is to choke off the cooling, a clogged radiator or something like that.

Our units are all equipped with a temperature alarm setup with a temp sensor on the rad hose that trips an alarm if the temperature reaches 215°. I've never heard one go off yet.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-02-14          151359

Thanks you guys. I'll do that. I also liked the replys. I have 5 dogs and love them all. Well now here I go.
Thanks again, Lee

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-14          151371

Murf, the very first Kubota of any I kind I knew the owner of did run hot. It was smaller than a B and was really an riding mower. There was a design problem with not having sufficient passage in the block. Not sure what ever was done by Kubota on that.
For my fleet of two, clogged radiator or air filter or running in higher ranger or gear that it should be in. kt ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-02-14          151374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 151329
....example of the same deal, dogs either don't seem to mind it, or get real sick, no middle ground.

Murf,

How much of a drop do you have to take to get that effect. The video looked like they were not diving. Made me think that commercial planes must really change elevation slowly ;) most of the time, thankfully! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-14          151376

Dennis, the video is showing a plane doing a loop, not diving.

Without making this a physics lecture, basically it's not a how much, it's a how fast.

If you get to a negative 1 G of acceleration, you have equalized gravity, I.E. you are weightless because you are in a zero gravity state, you are going down at the same rate as gravity.

If you get past 1 G of acceleration, you exceed the pull of gravity, you actually have a negative weight, I.E. you float up like that dog (and mine) did.

Big planes have big control surfaces, and are moving very fast, they do USUALLY not have that problem, but it certainly does happen pretty regularly, witness the recent incident where a plane flying from British Columbia to Toronto hit turbulence so severe that they had t make an emergency landing in Calgary and take several people to the hospital. See link below.

From a pilots point of view, I can tell you, turbulence will happen, it's a matter of 'when', not 'if'. If you are on a plane in flight, keep your belt on, even if only loosely buckled across your lap. When it happens, it usually hits so fast you don't have time to react.

Not wearing a seat belt in an airliner is like saying you'll put your seat belt on in the car just before the accident happens, by the time you realize what's happening, it's too late.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Air Canada flight hits turbulence.

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-15          151383

Murf, may I add to your seat belt comment: or on your equipement.

I have run a few different pieces of equipment over the years and only recently wished I had a seat belt on. Good thing it was my head that bumped the canopy or I could have gotten hurt. (EW, this last line for you.) Was not even a mild problem, just had a machine to rock when I was watching a deer rather than what I was driving over. No, the canopy did not move. kt ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-02-15          151387

Seat Belt - should be worn, knew a guy had a perminate knot on his head the size of a half egg, from striking a bob cat canopy when the bucket slipped out from under a piece of concrete he was attempting to lift and the bob cat returned to ground level,

couple years later he dropped dead, always wondered if it was a result of that head trauma since he had never gone to the doctor and he was only about 48 ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-02-16          151398

I checked my temp today and was running right at 170. I think Murf is right about the sending units. I'm going to try and check what ohms the sending unit is putting out and see what it takes to get the gauge up into range.

Lee ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-02-19          151465

LeeJohn, IMHO, just leave it be.

Neither the sender unit nor the gauge is the 'problem', it is just that they (together) only read (and show) a very narrow range of temperatures. If you put something in there that shifts the reading upwards you will LOSE the ability to tell when the engine is reaching a critically hot temperature because it will then be off the top of the gauge.

My suggestion is, if you really want to know more than the factory gauge is telling you, just add a second gauge and sensor, they available for not much money at most auto parts supply places.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-02-19          151474

I see what you mean. I better leave it as it is. Thanks, Lee ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-20          151476

leejohn, you may find it benefical to place a narrow piece of tape on your temp guage when it is at what you know to be normal operating temp if a little movement in the guage is really a large temp rise. That way, you will not have to rely on memory for the exact location on the guage. kt ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-02-20          151504

Good Ideal I'll do that. Lee ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-02-24          151638

I used a napa laser pointer heat checker on the upper radiator hose to get my readings. I find I get a lot of use out of it and it isn't messey and is quite accurate for different testing.

It is far more important to know that the heat is more consistant while working with it then to have a perfectly centered gauge. I like using pin striping tape to mark gauges using different colors to define ranges. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-02-27          151718

Diesel engines run hot, and those that are stationary or in off-road equipment can't depend on air-flow for cooling as in fast-moving vehicles. So they have robust cooling systems, which, unless there's a defect, keep the coolant, well, cool, making you wonder if you have a lazy temp gauge. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login