Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B6000 Hedge Trimmer Attachment

View my Photos
jjunkin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-08          149078

Hello Kubota Fans
I am trying to find a source for a mini reciprocating blade type hedge trimmer to hang on the back or side of my Kubota B6000. Has anyone any experience - I live in a part of the UK where the climate ensures that garden hedges grow far too quickly.
Regards from JJ

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-08          149080

When you say "hang" do mean "attach" like a tool so that you can drive and trim? If yes there are many products on the market. Stihl makes a nice one, as does Echo, Shindaiwa, and a host of others. Most come as powerhead with interchangable tools ranging from blowers, to rototillers, to hedge trimmers, to chainsaw-type trimmers. ....

View my Photos
jjunkin

2007-12-08          149081

I am searching around for a hedge cutter/trimmer with a reciprocating blade for a Kubota B6000 or similar. It will naturally be driven by the tractor via oil or belt drive. I hope that this explains my vision a bit better.
Regards ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-08          149082

It sounds like you need a hay cutter/mower or sickle mower. I'd mount it on a mast or crane off the 3pt hitch.

I have researched this for my own purpose of making a pond weed (cattails) cutter on a 25' long boom. I found that there are many old ones out there--some PTO powered some hydraulic, but were either too costly, too heavy, or too extensive to modify for my needs.

I ended up building mine literally from scratch. I use a small hydraulic motor. It's still under development, but preliminary trials show it will work well. ....

View my Photos
jjunkin

2007-12-08          149091

Thanks for the info.
I have acquired a rape vertical side-cutter for a combine harvester. It is a double sickle blade type and is driven by a hydraulic motor but unfortunately it needs about 8 gallons per minute of oil to run properly - My Kubota B6000 oil supply is a bit short on gpm!
Hence the search for one already designed and marketed.
Regards - JJ ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-08          149099

I don't know what a rape is...

But, you could shorten or cut the sickle bar down, and use a smaller displacement motor which will need less GPM. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-09          149104

EW; Rape could be the brand name of the sickle attachment, or it could be a an atttachment designed to harvest rape. Rape is a forage crop from cooler climates. You have to go to about the fifth page of Google before they list it as a crop. They list Canola as being a realitive of rape. I didn't know that part, but I did know of rape as a field crop. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-09          149108

Okay, I have heard the term or name as in "Rape seed extract"--I think it's used in beverages and possibly shampoo. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-09          149110

EW; Maybe the reason they use it in shampoo is to be a brain stimulant. Wanna share a case with me? Frank. ....

View my Photos
jjunkin

2007-12-10          149143

Thanks for your advice. I was off-line yesterday as it was my Sabbath day and only picked up your lines this morning. Rape is a yellow flowered oil-seed crop grown here in the UK for cattle cake and also for bio-fuel (diesel). It is usually very tangled and therefore needs a vertical cutter blade on the combine harvester on the crop side to get through it.
Happy Christmas to all - JJ ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-10          149144

JJ; Welcome to the board and thanks for the info on rape. Your post also solves a mystery for my son and I. At the Farm Progress Show, a super large farm equipment display held annualy here in the U.S. My son and I saw a cutterbar header for a combine that had vertical sickle attachments, one on each end of the platform that were about 36/48 inches tall. We wondered what they would be used for, so you solved it for us. Thanks. frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-10          149149

Check it out for I do not know if your tractor pump even comes close to the GPM you would need for any decent size hyd motor?

How about a PTO driven hyd pump and tank to drive your cutter? You probably can get what you need that way. ....

View my Photos
jjunkin

2007-12-10          149168

Thanks - I've just 'under-bid' for a pto pump on E-bay that might have been the answer. Better luck next time perhaps...... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-10          149177

JJ, I have no idea there but PTO pumps and tanks are sold by many stores here.

If I may ask you in your earlier comment about your Sabbath, are you referring to "Sunday"? Does "your Sabbath" mean your religious day of the week? Just trying to understand the mother language.

Some time back I was in the market for a boom mower or as seems to be called in Europe a vegetation mower. How I found this site also. Found some great advice, some good friends and have hung around since then. Hope you do too.

As others have said, welcome here.

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-10          149181

We've had call to do this sort of thing in the past.

We found the simplest beast for the job was a small Honda horizontal shaft engine driving a very long chainsaw bar through a centrifugal clutch (for safety and ease of starting) and a speed increasing belt drive setup.

Mount it however you please, we made it mount to the base plate of the loaders' quick-attach system. This allowed great vision and fantastic reach.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login