Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
mswlogo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-01          146387

I have my eye on a BX24 (see Price thread).

I'm just checking if this little guy is right for me.

I have a small property on a lake (1/2 arce) wraps around a cove.

I'm forever moving bolders, repairing the steep dirt road that wraps around my property that others use. Cleaning up trees. Tons of crap washes up over winter sometimes 4 trailer loads in the spring. Repairing property from high water/wind damage.

I also would like to put my boat in and out of the water so I don't have to own a modest size SUV for commuting. Boat weights 3500 lbs (21ft inboard). I can launch and load using my Jeep Grand right on my sandy beach. I only need to launch and load on my property. I do 99% repairs myself.

Will it do the job?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-01          146388

I think the BX24 is much too light after you take the backhoe off to use in place of your Jeep Grand Cherokee. Perhaps some of the guys with the BX can advise you on there experiences. But using something much lighter than the item being towed is never optimal, particularly on a ramp. ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-10-01          146397

It will do everything you need it to do but it doesn't wheigh enough to pull that big boat out. It will pull it on flat ground but you could loose it trying to pull the boat out of the ramp and that could hurt. I pushed a double axle trailor with 3 tons of rock hooked up to an f-250 diesel truck. It moved it when I bumped it on accident and could have easily pushed it around. ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-02          146406

I have to disagree with the boat moving advice. I think that little tractor could handle getting the boat out of the water- with no problems. All you have to do is get the thing in and out of the water, it's not like you are needing the tractor to respond to highway conditions. If you spent extra money on extra tractor just for the weight, I think that would be a waste. ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-02          146410

MSW, been a while since I pulled a boat out of the water but what your sand is like and the grade will affect pulling it back up. You did not mention if the Jeep is 4 wheel drive and if you had to use that to handle the boat. I do not think the BX will pull as much as your Jeep does if a 4 wheel drive due to weight difference. But that does not mean the BX could not handle it.

Reading Dennis' concern about after you take the backhoe off...could you not leave the backhoe on and install a ball on the FEL to move your tailer? kt ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-10-02          146425

I had a BX22 and I can tell you that it will easily and safely move a 3500 pound load on level ground as long as the tongue weight isn't excessive.

Since I live on a modified sand dune I can also tell you that it will do well in beach sand but only if you stick with the turf tires.

My only concern with the boat launch concept is that the BX has limited ground clearance and you would have to be careful about getting it water that was too deep. ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-02          146427

I think it might do the boat launch, but only under certain conditions.

If you were to put a hitch in place of the bucket (as Kenneth mentioned), and leave the B/H in place, and the sand was hard and not too steep.

The problem will NOT be a lack of power, but rather a lack of traction.

As DRankin mentioned, the depth of water may create an issue too. Water in the axle breathers are a problem on anything, a tractor is no exception.

A neighbour of mine at the lake does what you describe, but with a 24' pontoon boat behind 4 wheeler, it's pretty spooky to watch mind you, a 4 wheeler has little in the way of brakes or steering even without a trailer behind it.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-02          146439

Picture is worth a 1000 words.

You see the trailer is right on the ramp.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/67/171776591_777dd6e48b_b.jpg

The slope is very gentle. Too gentle sometimes because you have to back in quit a bit.

The jeep has to backed in until it's half way up the rear wheels.

The sand is fairly soft. Some pebbles mixed in.

The Jeep is 4x4, and it is in a Manual mode Part Time 4WD (locked diff front to rear) and in low.

That's great to know the turf tires would be better.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I was thinking of scooping a bucket of sand before pulling it out for added weight.

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota BX24 right for me

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-02          146441

Is that the ocean? Salt water can be tough on equipment and the BX does not have much ground clearance, so your axles and what not will get a good bit of salt water. Any comments guys? ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-02          146464

Nope, it's a lake.

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-10-02          146478

You might as well get real creative and have some fun. Weld up that reciever hitch on the front of FEL for your trailer ball. Take off the back hoe and put on three point reciever, and then build yourself a winch that can fit into that reciever and can also be moved to the Jeep. Then go into business pulling everybodies boats out the water, along with starting a wrecking business. And logo thought he was just getting a small tractor... ....

Kubota BX24 right for me

View my Photos
mitsmaster

2007-11-04          147705

I had a bx2200 and now own a bx24.... I move my 20 foot yamaha jet boat around my acre yard with no problem... I had some grade to my property even in high gear it moves the boat right up the hill.. For pulling the boat out put the tractor in low gear and go . Very nice machine all around.... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login