Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX23 Blew the hydro

View my Photos
rlsmith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-17          143777

Well I have gone and done it now. My BX 23 with over 800 hours at 35 months old while moving dirt, blew the hydro transmission. No leaking of fluid. Just no go back and forth…… kills the engine even if you are in neutral and hit the pedal. Nobody can tell me what or why it had happened. The dealer has not ever seen it happen on a Kubota. Have any of you out there had this happen. Any idea of cost? It has been in the shop now 2 weeks, they are thinking I may get it back next week, (waitng for replacement) they have no idea yet the cost to me……… That worries me. Haven’t paid it off yet, still on their payment plain………..man I am bummed.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
leejohn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-17          143786

What is the warranty on the drive train? Lee ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-17          143787

1. Two weeks to have it sitting around the shop? Then another week to put back it back together? Uh-uh. Not on my watch!

2. Has the service manager called the regional or district rep? They should have called the day they got it in and decided they never saw this issue before.

3. Have you called the reps and got the ball rolling?

4. I had not quite a similar situation with my blue. I wasn't getting anywhere with my dealer or New Holland so I called about 5 lawyers in the dealer's local area. I hit pay dirt: I happened to called the dealer's own lawyer which I found out after he said he couldn't take my case because it would be a conflict of interest! HA! Apparently that got back to the dealer that I was willing to sue and majically NH and the dealer wanted to talk turkey. Bottom line I didn't hire a lawyer, they bent over backward by giving me about $17,000 off on a new machine, and bought back my old one.

I'm not saying sue, sue, sue, but I am saying that you are not defenseless. Then there's always the WEB to "discuss" how Kubotty treated you. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-07-17          143789

On the drive train the warrantee is 36 months on most all kubotas. ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2007-07-18          143819

I am being told that they do nothing until it is all done, then start the paper work/online process for warranty coverage. Should have info back in 30 days once sent in on coverage. I have requested that I get the hydro unit back if not covered by warranty. Being told also this is a laborious job and busy with other jobs. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-18          143841

Whaaaat??? "Being told also this is a laborious job and busy with other jobs."

Did you grab the service guy by the neck and haul him up to the owner's office? I would have (and have nearly had resort to that). That is outrageous. I'd be on the phone to Kubota pronto. I'm sure you're not the first one they've told that too.

Time to look for a new dealer. ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-07-19          143854

No body would grab me by the neck and haul me nowhere. Shops do get backed up and parts are hard to get somtimes, things happen. Yes it seems like a long time but it's not the only machune in the shop. I just had a similer thing go on with a brand new bx2350 took a week and a half to get all the parts to repiar the hydro and time to get back on it to repair so if you have never work in a repair shop or you think your superman with xray vision well enough said nerve that was struck is now vented. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2007-07-19          143856

I get mad just reading about what is going on with what that so and so is telling you. I fell like earthwrks on this bs. I was a service manage for 16 years for a large marine sales and service and 15 years for myself just service and boat storage.
I can't believe he is telling you that, that should be covered under warranty even if the time had ran over. If he got with kubota and talked to them i believe he could get it covered with no trouble. If not you call and ask that so&so ( I'm not calling him a service manage because he's not) who he talked to and the phone #. I have got Mercury and OMC motors covered way out of warranty. Lee ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2007-07-19          143861

Hey gearhead did you say HYDRO! Is Kubota having problems with their hydro trannys? I hear what you are saying earthlink, and hear what gearhead is saying also and thanks. They are saying that they will do what ever they can to get it covered by the warranty and or keep the cost down. Ok back to the hydro problem....Art & Gearhead, is Kubota having troubles in this area? Am I working this tractor too hard around the homestead. You guys from Tractor Point :) were the main reason I went with this unit, along with price and dependability. Now I know some said that I needed to go bigger while others said (and I agreed) that this style and size fits 85% of the work I would be doing on a regular basis and that is why I went with it. And work it has been doing evenings & weekends, after I get off my regular work managing the shipping & recieving, property management div. at BGSU. Thanks Guy for you all your input ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-07-19          143863

I'm with the crowd on this one, if someone at the dealer told you they do the entire job, then start the ball rolling with Kubota they should be out in a field somewhere putting all that fertilizer at least to good use instead of piling it up deep in the showroom.

Gear head, I have a little problem with part of your statement too, you said "...took a week and a half to get all the parts to repiar the hydro and time to get back on it to repair...". So you're saying if job # 3 takes a while to get parts, you leave it sit AFTER all the parts are in, just because you went on to do job # 4 or 5?

No way, first in first out!!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-19          143864

Gearhead based soley on your last reply, you're a prime example of what's wrong with service. It's exactly your approach to business (read: lack of) that drives well-intentioned dealers out of business.

Yeah, so what if they didn't have mechanics, they wouldn't have a dealership--and you wouldn't have a job either---get over it.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to get the owner involved with service or even the smallest sales issues because no one---including the owner's own sons--would not take the %$#&! initiative to get off their butts and at the very least get the ball rolling and make a phone call, or look up a price. In some cases I have to call New Holland headquarters and get information then call the dealer--or call other dealers out-of-state. In one case the owner's son set me up with three different gray spray paints none of which matched my machine. Would thay look up the right number? Nooooo. I found the number from another dealer. Another time they wouldn't ship spray paint to me saying it was illegal to do so. I had to call UPS and get all the information FOR them and they still didn't ship it becasue they didn't belive me--I even gave them UPS's number and thy still wouldn't get off their ass and call. Service? Sure.

It all goes back to "I will get paycheck whether or not I produce".

Gearhead take a hint from the American auto industry: You'll miss it when it's gone. And by then it's too late.

And as a business owner myself, I feel for the dealer because no one in their right mind would sabotage their customer base---there are some here though on the verge of bankruptcy because of it. Survival of the fittest.

In the "service world" there seems to be a sense of "Hody-doh, it'll be there tomorrow" OR the attitude, "Piss me off one more time by asking when it will be done (right) and I'll take longer".

Screw that. Do your job, fix the machine so I can get out there and do my job and make money to pay the freakin' thing before it breaks down again--so that you have a job. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-19          143865

Gearhead,

I worked in the repair industry for many years. I was often amazed at the stupidity of the American business model.

Our shop was jammed full of broken equipment. We had no place left to store it until we could get parts to fix the stuff. The solution to this problem?........let's build a bigger shop. What a joke!

I blame the bean counters.........those idiots we refer to as "accountants". In order to make a bigger profit, the bean counters tried to reduce our inventory to the point that we weren't allowed to stock wire nuts, electrical connectors, or even hoses. They claimed that the inventory was hurting the cash flow. With all that money tied up in inventory, the business owners wouldn't have the spare cash they needed to hold a convention (read convention as "vacation") in Hawaii, or Fort Lauderdale.

One simply cannot place all the blame on the mechanics. If there is any blame to place on the mechanics, it is only for their refusal to stand up to management and let their voices be heard.

We didn't need a bigger shop! What we needed, and what we finally got.......only through a whole lot of my effort and determination.......was a parts inventory that would satisfy most of our every-day needs.

We also got ourselves a couple of people who knew how to manage those parts in such a way as to keep our inventory fresh, rotated, and up-to-date. (That was me!) And then we found ourselves a service manager who refused to allow any piece of equipment to sit around for even one day, without someone figuring out what parts it needed in order to get it back in service. In most cases, our repairs were accomplished by doing simple, regular, routine service.

Guess what? Our service department became a big money maker. The bean counters were happy. Our business owners had the money they needed to go to Vegas, and our company picknic was bigger and better than ever!

U.S. businesses have their heads packed up their butts. Profits comes from customers who spend money with the business. Profits do not come from reducing the inventory, turning down the thermostat, or from eliminating Christmas bonuses to employees.

Now go give your service manager and the boss an earful from me, will you? Many thanks.

Joel ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-07-23          143968

rlsmith...good luck with your dealer. Hopefully something positive comes out of a bad situation. I think maybe your tractor may be the one out of 100 that will have long term problems. Its just got to do with a batch of bad parts in with the good ones. Your tractor may be the unlucky one. This just may be the beginning of things to come. If for some reason more things go wrong.....think of trade in or money back. I was in your shoes, and getting all my money back for my tractor, the implements I purchased, lawn mowing fees, court costs,attorney fees ,interest....So far is upto $24,000. I had 85 hours on machine. They agreed to pay that much which is my total out of pocket expenses, but want about 5 grand more just because the owner of the place i purchased the machine never once answered any calls or letters and left me out to dry. I told them $30,000 or just let the jury decide what i'm entitled to. Its in court for punitive and compensatory damages of 75,000 - $100,000 with a jury demand. Will know in couple weeks if they pay up or go to the jury. Good luck and wish you the best of luck with your machine. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-23          143975

Thank God for automotive lemon laws. I worked for a supplier/convertor of convertible soft and hard tops and whole converted cars. Some of these cars cost upward of $75,000. I sat in on weekly high-level meetings where we had 3-10 cars a week being bought back under lemon laws for the smallest thing like a water leak that technicians could or would not fix. We were losing about $30,000 per car. In states where they had very strict lemon laws like Florida, management was quick to refund money.

Having a lawyer or even acting like it, sends a big message that you ain't gonna screw with me. Like when the NH service and regional sales reps met with to resolve whether or not they would buy back my skid steer. We shook hands after the deal, and they told me thy were very happy we got it resolved so quickly while at the dealer. Me being the smar aleck that I am says, "You mean without my lawyer being here, right?" And I said it loud enogh so the owner and GM heard it too. The look on their faces was priceless. But they knew I was not joking. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-07-23          143979

It should be covered as they haven't had problems with them to date.
There are times we feel blessed with good help and there are times we like every one here make mistakes. We do tell the help to be sure that it is warrantee before you tell the customer. That way we don't raise customers expectations before we know for sure that it meets the requirements. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-07-24          143992

rismith; I had a gear a tooth popped off of while disking in a manual transmission on a larger Kubota. The best I could find out was, must have just been a bad gear or piece of metal. It was outside of warranty not for hours but for time. Guess what I am saying, there are bad parts in anything. Mine sat in shop for about 2 weeks to find the noise and then get all parts. But it was not just sitting, it was either being worked on or waiting on a part. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-24          143996

Kenny: Oh man! And that was your LAST tooth too :)!

(Doesn't your keyboard [the thing you type on] have a comma key? When I come by for Thanksgiving dinner again this year, I'll show you how to use it---the comma key, I mean.)

It's gonna be hard to distinguish (that means "figure out") you in the family photos now! (they say all southerners look alike)

In these parts we have edumacated people whose job it is to work on teeth. They're called dentists.

Now it's just strained food for you, eh? Golly is this apple d-e-licous (that means yummy) ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-07-24          144000

No kubota isn't having trouble out of ther hydros. The one i was working on bx2350 only had 4 hours on it and when i took it apart after check all the pressures it came down to must of had a small piece of dirt or somthing get between the rotating group and the brass washer and that scored up the parts. It did take awhike to get all parts togather, i think on of the rotating groups had to come from japan. And yes after the part got ther i was right BACK on it maybe like within 2 mins a 29 secs quick enough. And we did talked to kubota tech which said they have not had any trouble out of this unit hense the lack of perts being stock at the part divisions. We called in the rep as we do with all our oddball failures and yes we do go to bat for our customers as much as we can. We just did that on a tn tractor tat was out of warrenty and was able to aleast get the parts covered. All i meant by my other post was that things do happen and parts do get delayed and yes we try to diagnose things to get the parts coming as quick as we can but usually you get it tore apart and need somting you didn;t order or have on hand. And yes first in first uot is the way things should be but some times it just doesn't happen that way,not to say it correct. Lets say your working on a lot only have an hour or two to finish and material gets dropped off at another job site, will you pack all your equipment up and go finish the other then come back or finish the one your on already? Ok i'm stopping on this now your right i'm right we all are right. Just that four letter word lawer struck a nerve. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-24          144003

Gearhead (I'm smiling now), the four letter word "lawer" (which is five letters the way you spell it :) ) is really spelled with six letters "lawyer".

But I'm jis' sayin'

And to answer your question ther are times when I have to do what you questioned me on. Sometimes I don't have a choice (and what usually drives my decision is the bank account). People who aren't in business seem to think we that are, don't have bosses. Oh so not true. We have many bosses but we can (sometimes) fire ourselves from working for them again. ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-07-24          144005

Glad your smiling, sometimes my fingers don't say the words right. ....

View my Photos
botamac

2007-07-25          144011

Well I have a BX 23 and the hydro pump went out on mine so I had the dealer pick it up and check it out. The mechanic looked at it and gave me a call about a day later and told me the pump is shot I had a post on this a while back the dealer fixed my tractor and returned in about a week as for billing that took about a month Kubota has had problems with the hydro and since it’s known as a TLB it has a two year warranty on the trans/pump. The cost to repair mine was around $2000 and Kubota covered half . My pump went out some time in March 2007 and I did post the problem here, but I don’t see the post any more (may be to old) The mechanic told me that something scored the walls of the pump and fluid leaks by I cant’ tell you how something got past the screen and filter? So the mechanic thinks it was in there from day one and yes Kubota has had problems with a few of these, hence the $1000 to cover it. When I noticed my going bad, what I thought was a relief valve lifting was really the fluid passing by the piston and scoring the walls more and over time the problem got worse. Good luck ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-25          144027

Gearhead: Awe come on', give Jeffy a hug you ol' lug you.
We're all friends here--like camping or drinking buddies. 'cept there's no beer ('cept Murf) and no camping.

An' I'm sittin' here in my Underoos. DOH! Daaaangit that web cam's on AGAIN. MY BAD! ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2007-07-26          144036

No bad feeli'ns here. ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2007-07-26          144037

Thanks for the info Botamac, not what I really wanted to hear on the cost and guarantee info. How many hours did you have on yours? I sure hope that they have fixed the problem and will replace it with a better hydro unit. It now has me thinking about getting rid of my BX. This is not the reason I choose this unit and that is to look forward to spending $2,000.00 every 800 hours or so due to a failed hydro. Hey just thinking did they warrantee the new hydro for the same amount of time? If that is the case, I could have my unit almost paid off by then, and then get rid of it (trade in), and hope the new BX24 are better then this model. As this little giant has saved my back so much over the short time, I have had it that I really cannot see me not having this size unit. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-07-26          144052

Rlsmith....Wow...Amazing that you still haven't heard anything on your bx tractor Hydro problem yet it is on the 3rd week by now and getting close to a month without a tractor. Did they offer you a loaner yet? Really doesn't say much for your dealer. Hope it all works out for you. ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2007-07-27          144082

Hydro is being replaced, no price yet given. Supposed to get it back this week. Has not been a problem here really with out it, just been doing other work around the house that also needed to be done and just resting playing with the kids and grandkids. But now with all the rain here I will be mowing again. Just hoping it will be covered 100% by Kubota as I dont have that kind of money laying about.:( ....

View my Photos
Justus

2007-07-28          144135

Reading this board is like a combination of Monster Garage, Jay Leno, Survivor and The Discovery Channel rolled into one. Even I, gain some knowledge and get entertained at the same time. Dennis, get this on a weekly or daily educational/comedy show and you'll have a big hit. I expect to see Murph, EarthWrks, and Art White as regulars. Art, I'm afraid you'll have to be the "Straight Man", look what you're dealing with!

kthompson, Peters, Hardwood, DRankin, Ann Brush, kwschumm and a few others can be Co-hosts/Field Reporters on a rotating basis. Everyone doesn't always agree but it usually adds to the question/topic at hand. Watch out, "The View!" Get your pants on for this Jeff! Mark, you may have to move back to Alaska for the field reports, the tumbleweeds probably won't cut it for action TV. Thanks, Steve ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-07-29          144141

You know it does take less muscles to smile!!! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-07-29          144148

Hey.... I will have you know that I am growing a patch of real grass this year, 4000 square feet of it, just to see if I could.

All it takes is about 500 gallons of well water per day. The critters love it and we have our own mini-Serengeti plains.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-07-29          144162

Ah-HA!

So that's why our Great Lakes are down by several feet again this year! At 500 gallons a day you probably have your own weather system hangin' out above you! LOL ....

View my Photos
botamac

2007-07-30          144186

rlsmith my tractor had about 450 hours on it, since the repair I've had no problems since. I can't remember what the new warrenty is, I know I sure don't want to buy one myself I would have to say my dealer was kwick about fixing mine and returning it. ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2007-07-31          144209

Well I was to get mine back but.... while they had it just sitting there so long and noticed that my front end was leaking, again so they went ahead and replaced the seals. Much to there surprise they were working on it again and found it was wet yet. Had a hairline crack that look some real close looking for. Had to order that part, so the thought is now that I should get it back this week early. All other repairs that I have had done they have come out picked it up and delivered it again at no charge with in a few days, but the other repairs were also during the slow time of the year. Now just crossing my fingers and toes for the next 30+ days on cost. Thanks everyone ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login