Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-20          142246

Got my BX24. Now looking for a tiller. Kuboda dealer has them but not cheap ($1600 ). Was looking at Agri supply who sells Caroni tillers. They have a 32 inch (318 pounds) and a 48 inch (402 pounds) . Both around $1000 to $1100 with shipping) The 48" is over the weight limit for the BX24 (375 pounds max) but the 32" seems fine. Kubota has a 36" (255 pounds) but 50% more costly. Anyone have a tiller they like for a BX24?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-20          142248

Bill; My Dad had an old saying that went. "Quality is like buying oats. If you don't mind getting the oats after they have been thru the horse, they come a bit cheaper that way". I'm sure your Bx24 has a standard catagory one three point hitch and a standard 540 RPM power take off, so that opens up lots of tiller possabilitys for you. I'm not familliar with Kubota brand tillers, but their tractors are top drawer so I would expect their tillers to be the same. I lean real heavy toward Land Pride brand products, I've had their mowers, tillers, box blades, landscape rakes, etc. for years. A bit pricey, but top drawer. I'm on my second Land Pride tiller, the first one I sold at a weak moment to a man who offered me more than I paid for it and it was three years old. Nuff from me. Frank. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
s chrand

2007-05-21          142289

I don't have a BX24, I've got the BX2230. Very similar. I went with the CCM brand MR-145. It's 49" wide and weighs in at 495#. The tractor has absolutely no issues with lifting or running it. None. At 49", it covers the tire tracks from the tractor, which is good. The tractor is rated for around 700#, 24" back, so I'm guessing the weight limit you cited came from the section of the owners manual that lists limits for all the different attachments.
I've heard that the King Kutter brand is also well built, but suffers from poor paint quality. And of course the Land Pride and Woods units won't disappoint either. And then there's the issue of chain drive vs. gear drive. Unless you're using it commercially, I doubt any of them will give you any reason to complain.
Good Luck,
David ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
porterce

2007-05-21          142296

Just out of curiosity I checked the kubota website for the BX24 specs and it says 991 lbs lift for the 3pt hitch and 661 lbs for the load point 2 feet, so sounds like you can take quite a bigger tiller than you though.
Cheers
Charles

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-21          142297

Bill, is there an Agri Supply store near you? Will you be using the tiller much? I have purchsed from Agri Supply a good bit and they stand behind what they sell as good or better than any other company I have ever dealt with. If they have not changed, Agri Supply will refund your total cost if you try the piece and are not pleased with it. They did that for me on a flail mower. Not sure the brand now. The mower worked fine, just did not like the finish it left.

If you are not close to them parts could become an issue for you. kt ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
WhitleyStu

2007-05-22          142313

Back in 2005 we build a new house on 3 acres that had been farm field and tilled .25 acre for garden. Our BX2230 and King Kutter tiller (TC-48-XB-O) did a good job considering the rocky soil. Even turned up an old horse shoe while tilling in the garden the first year. I agree with the poor paint issue on King Kutter products, but mechanicaly it has held up good as much as we have used it. We tilled all the areas where landscaping was going in and also two 20' x 200' strips on each side of the property where spruce trees were planted. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-22          142316

The 2230 lists 680 pounds for a 2 ft back lift on the three point hitch. The BX24 lists 661 pounds. The BX limits a tiller to 42 inch and 375 pounds. A BX 2230 is now working a 49 inch at 495 pounds for David, above. Doesn't this sound like the 48 at 407 pounds should work for me? What are the disadvantages of a 48 over a 32? I won't be doing a lot with it but do have a steep hillside I would like to back up and sort of "clear off" ocasionally and a small garden. Additionally the utility of being able to do a little patchwork grass seeding occasionally would be good. I don't know if the 32 would maybe be better from a stability standpoint or not. The 48 has the advantage of allowing an offset to one side which is very nice for getting closer to things. The 32 does not have this capability and would be narrower than the BX wheelbase so would really restrict this. I'm not terribly worried about "speed" since I really have a limited area to work anyway at any given time. I have no intention of going out putting in lawns or anything like that, just want something less hard on my back than my little Troybuilt Pony. Rental would be tough as I do not have a truck or trailer to haul anything. Just retired last year and am looking for some nice toys I guess. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-22          142319

Bill; I think you would be happier with the "48". having it offset is a good feature. I think lots of us have had the experience of a tiller that was a bit big for the tractor. All of a sudden the tiller wlll come mostly out of the ground and "walk", pushing your tractor across the field fast enough to kinds scare the dickens out of you. My experience with that was with a JD tiller on a Deere 345 tractor. This is kind of a rare thing but it can happen if you try to go too deep the first pass in extra hard soil. Just run your tractor in four wheel drive and it should never happen. Getting kinda late for taters Bill, better buy that tiller today. Frank. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-22          142327

Kind of scaring me Frank. I don't know how big the JD you have is nor can I find it on their site. I have a BX24, 1500 pounds with about 120 pounds inside each back wheel. I was hoping to clear a hillside of weeds(about 8 to 10 ft long and at almost 35 degrees)backing up a 20 degree slope to reach it with the tiler behind, then further uphill as I feel comfortable. Pointing this guy down a steep hill with the potential of taking off to the races is not a good thought. My dirt is mostly a clay base here near Pittsburgh, Pa. As for the gardnening, I doubt we will put more than my wife's traditional green beans and a few tomato plants and some Zuchini in this year. Whole garden is maybe 25 by 35 ft. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-22          142338

Bill; I'm sorry I did'nt mean to scare you away from using a tiller. The John Deere "345 Tractor" I spoke of having the tiller pushing incident with is basicly a lawn mower that can have rear tillers, a front mount snow blower, etc. NOT a heavy duty tractor. I'm guessing it probably weighs 8-900 lbs. We stil have it with a 54 in. deck. I sold the tiller to the 345 a couple years ago after I got the first Land Pride for the 4310 Deere. Your BX24 weighs nearly a ton with you on it and with it in four wheel drive I really doubt that the tiller could ever push it. The first Land Pride I had was a model RTA-3576 (76in./wide, weighed/ 850lbs). The 4310 handled it Ok, but it was kind of an overkil situation, but I did buy it well under the money then resold it three years later for a tidy profit. The one I have now is a Model RTA-1558 (58in./wide, 440lbs. Just a more ballanced load. Hope i can help you out. Frank. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-22          142341

Frank, myu biggest concern is the slope. My back yard is a hillside. In general it ranges from about 10 to 14 degrees. Mostly grass and a few fruit trees, but at the top is where the origonal builder filled to make a level back yard and there is s steep slope
aroiund 35 degrees. Leading up to it there is a slope of about 20 degrees. I was hoping to back up the 20 degree slope to maybe reach a little of the steep slope with the tiller to remove big weeds and berry bushes. Not sure if the BX24 backhoe can do me some good there or not. I would not run the little troybilt there on a bet. I sort of wish that Agri supply carried the 40 or 42 inch though. Unfortunately there it is a 32 or a 48. I really do not have a lot of long term use for a tiller but thought it would come in handy, just like the backhoe. Kubota sells a 37 inch but they want $1690 for it and the ones from Agri are about $1100. That means I could throw in a rake with one of those. The biggest demand on the tiller would be sitting idle not overuse. I just got my BX24 this week and am having fun but am still tentative on slopes, moreso than with my little sears 19HP garden tractor. The BX is probably actually more stable but sitting a little higher makes me a bit nervous yet even running across the 15 degree area. They can lurch eaasily and one must be real easy on the pedals and controls I found out. Still get directions mixed up on the front loader a little but am starting to feel more comfortable with it. Tried the backhoe and it really can jump if not real careful. Hopefully I'll get the hang of things. Maybe I will get a bit more (hopefully not too) at ease going across the slopes. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-22          142344

Bill, unless you have an ongoing need for a tiller for your machine, and it doesn't sound like you do, I would suggest you talk to a local contractor.

A guy on a small (trim) dozer (or a guy with a tracked skid steer) will clear that area in an hour or so, and probably spread some topsoil over it in nearly the same again.

For a couple of hundred dollars with no personal safety issues for you, or spending thousands for a tiller, you can have a much nicer end result.

Best of luck. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-22          142345

Bill; Now that I understand more clearly about your wanting to back up the steep slopes and till on the way down, yes that scares me too. Even with your tractor in four wheel drive, going down hill, while tilling would be risky at best, and please don't try it going uphill. I think this is a bad situation all around. With the limited use you will have for a tiller, perhaps hiring a neighbor or someone to till the garden patch and find another way to take care of the steep slope. If driving on the slopes bothers you then you probably shouldn't do it. Even old goofers like me who driven farm tractors for 50+ years get careless and get hurt or killed. Frank. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-22          142347

Bill, no hills here but we do have some rolling land. I farm a field with at least a 20 degree slope and run over it any direction with any farm equipement I wish to with no problems. I think I mow with small tractor on a grade about your 35 degree but do so very carefully as the down hill side is a ditch. Have never had the tractor give any indication it was near a tilt situation. But I find it very uncomfortable to sit there. kt ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-22          142367

I called my guy at Agri Supply. He can get me any Caroni I want, just will have to wait till they order late this summer. Should be here in plenty of time to do some fall grass seeding I would think. I can get either a 40" or a 44" which both have the 6 1/2 inch side shift and weigh in close(the 44 inch is 7# over and 2 inches over Kuboda recommended max, the 40 meets it. He is to call me tomorrow with some prices) I know it is not worth the money to get any tiller for what I will utilize timewise, but nice to have around when I want it. I just retired last year and am determined to have whatever toys I want while I can still use them. Spent a ton on a tractor I really don't need either all that much but JUST ALWAYS WANTED ONE! Now I got it and want to play. So far, I got to move an old engine block that has been sitting beside my porch for 30 years, pulled some big downed trees over the hill, carried the cut up wood from a deck I replaced last summer that had been just laying beside the pool and dug a little. Could have had someone else do it for far less than I paid for the tractor or even just the front loader for that matter, but I HAD FUN! I'm one of those nuts that would rather do things like that than go somewhere on a vacation and, to me, just waste time. ....

Link:   Shenes Killies

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Tiller for BX24

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-23          142374

Bill, My only reason for maybe discouraging a tiller was my concren for your safety. We are an extremely diverse group here. We have members who depend on the use of compact tractors and the related equipment for their living all the way to the complete hobbyist owners. Putting myself back twenty years when there were times I had to kiss a most unsavory part of a banker to get operating capital my owning of all the fun equipment I have now would have been out of the queation. We don't have a motorhome, boat, etc., and have no criticisms of those who do, that's their business. The Mrs. don't care for long didtance travel, so this is our and it sounds like your form of enjoying what we worked our sorry behinds off for. The Mrs. is just as serious of a John Deere addict as I am. there cannot be a John Deere adult lawn toy she don't have. This past Saturday she took delivery of "Her" new XUV Gator. We gave all the kids (5) a college education, if they wanted it, they are all on their own now and doing fine just watching the "Old Folks" blow their inheritance, but we're having a ball, go for it Bill. Frank. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-23          142375

Hi Frank. You sound a lot like me. I will turn 64 this summer, just retired, and finally not afraid of spending a couple of bucks to get things I have waited for 35 years to try to afford. Out to dinner is usually a place like Dennies or Eat N Park (maybe called Elbys where you live) Anything over $20 for the two of us is a stretch. Over the years I built much of my furniture, house amentities including stereo equipment, 5 yards of elevated concrete porch and yard. Time to improve the yard. Love the DIY rather than pay someone to do it since I just enjoy doing it and seeing what I got done. Fortunately my wife prefers things I do. I would have sent a PM but did not see an email for you. In any case thanks to all for the help. ....

Tiller for BX24

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-31          142625

Agri Supply ordered a 40 inch Caroni from Italy for me for this fall. No mad rush. Weight and width meet BX 24 specs so I feel a little safer. Could have ordered a 44 but 2 inches over and only 7 pounds over the Kubota spec. Would have been fine but did not want any hassle with Kubota while in warrantee and what's 4 inches anyway. Both of them have a 6 inch offset capability and the 40 may fit where the 44 may not. I saw some good reviews for the Caronis and won't be using it even close to comercially so it should be a great toy for my infrequent needs and demands. Thanks to all for the general insight on tillers. For all I really need, would have been cheaper to have someone come in and do everything than buy the things I bought but what is the fun in that? So far I have been having a blast and getting stuff done I wanted to do for years. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login