Go Bottom Go Bottom

Antifreeze specifications

View my Photos
propilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-10          141212

Hey guys, need advice on which antifreeze I should use to replace factory-installed coolant in a BX1500. The manual tells me to use a permanant type ethylene glycol antifreeze meeting SAE J1941 specs. I have looked at different brands in stores and cannot find any listing that particular specification. Perhaps I'm making too big of a deal with this, but I don't want to use something that may hurt this Kubota diesel engine and/or other parts in the cooling system. Thanks for any advice you may have to offer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-10          141225

Generally diesel engines require a coolant that contains nitrite for protecting wet sleeves from cavitation that can quickly destroy the engine. It's my opinion that buying the right stuff is cheap insurance.

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-11          141235

The standard glycol solution is still used in tractor engines. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-04-11          141236

Both are ethylene glycol based but coolant targeted towards diesels use a different additive package. ....

View my Photos
propilot

2007-04-11          141242

So, would it be advisable to simply use Kubota antifreeze? Also, my manual states "There are two types of antifreeze available; use the permanent type (PT) for this engine". What is considered "permanent type"? Thanks for the help. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-04-12          141259

Since you haven't been able to locate any non-Kubota coolant that meets Kubota's specs buying from the dealer seems the prudent thing to do. At least you won't have to buy it often. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-04-12          141267

Castrol Automotive Antifreeze meets or exceeds the SAE J1941 specs. ....

View my Photos
propilot

2007-04-12          141269

Thanks for the help guys. I checked with my local Kubota dealer and was told that they use NAPA antifreeze. I have since found some Prestone "Heavy Duty Engines" extended life, which according to the label, is designed for ALL diesel engines and all metals. The downside is that it costs $22.00 per gallon, but thats O.K., since it's only money. That's worth peace of mind. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-14          141310

I don't know that the antifreeze needs to be changed out that often on a non-wet sleeved engine. I do recommend additives on a yearly rate to add the lubrication to the water pump as well as to bring it to a good PH level. ....

View my Photos
propilot

2007-04-15          141318

Thanks for the input. I agree with you concerning the need to replace it that often. Are the additives you mention available at auto parts stores? I've never done that. I just flush my cooling systems and install new antifreeze and distilled water at the maker's recommended intervals. It would certainly be easier adding these additives as you mention. Also, I assume the freeze protection remains the same with age. Could that be safe to say? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-15          141328

your right that the temperature protection stays the same unless you dilute it further.
The additive package is mostly recommended for diesel engines and it replaces the additives that wet sleeve engines need as well as lubricants for the water pump.

Most tractor dealers sell it as well as most stores with diesel supplies. ....

View my Photos
propilot

2007-04-16          141341

So, since the BX1500 has no sleeves, I should add some type of water pump additive about once a year, and that should do it, right? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login