Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-14          139752

Today I was plowing my driveway with my BX 23 and I noticed after I was done That when I shifted to high gear to head back the the barn that the trans made a shuttering sound, like the relief valve was lifting. The Trans fluid level is okay up to level. The parking brake was not on. The sound only heard when I take off from a stop it’s not a metal sound, it sounds like the relief is lifting. Anyone have any thoughts on this before I send off to the dealer to have them check it out. :(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-14          139753

First off, I'm not sure what you mean by the relief valve "lifting", do you mean opening?

The weather in Michigan hasn't exactly been balmy the last little while, it is possible that the hydraulic fluid was still so cold, even after working a bit, that it was thicker than it should be. This would certainly put some real pressure to the system under a big load like starting off in high range, especially if you were in a hurry to get back in front of the fireplace. :)

Best of luck. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac

2007-02-15          139768

Yes it is opening. And the oil is warm first the tractor is stored in a heated barn and I start it and let it run for about 15 min. when I brought the tractor back to the barn after using it for about 2 hours and shut it down the oil in the trans was warm not hot but warm. I don’t know if there is an adjustment or something got past the filter or may the relief spring is weak or out of adjustment. I’ll go home today and start it up and see if it does the same thing. Then I’ll make a decision from there. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-15          139772

Ok, now a few blanks are filled in.

First of all, the relief valve will open under a sudden full-load start or in high range, even when the fluid is warm.

The type of drive system in hydrostat's like this need to build up to speed, you can't just push and go, you have to be a little patient and let it slowly gain speed. This type of drive system uses a variable displacement pump. In other words, the farther down you push the pedal, the higher the displacement (the more fluid) the pump moves. The problem is however, that the drive motor is directly coupled to the wheels and can only consume fluid at a certain rate, namely the displacement per revolution of the motor, times the number of revolutions per minute the motor is turning.

In the end, if you try to pump twice as much fluid as the motor can accept, the relief valve will open to dump the excess volume straight back into the reservoir.

I suspect this is what is happening.

If there was a problem with the relief valve itself, it wouldn't change depending on what range you were in, it would be the same all the time.

Best of luck.

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-15          139790

My blue does this too. If it's nice and warm out you likely wouldn't be hearing as much of the hydro being taxed. Instead, you'd take notice of the engine lugging. Both are indications of the wrong range (too high) or not high enough RPM to compensate. Most likely the go-pedal is hard to push down too---this goes back to Murf's eloquent disertation of displacement versus RPM.
Now, if you use the lowest range and press down on the go-pedal, there will be little or no resistance. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac

2007-02-16          139793

Yesterday I hooked up the rear 5’ blade to remove the hard pack off the drive way and in the past the tractor had no problem doing this.I had it in 4 wheel low range and in the past it had no problem. Yesterday I did this and would get about 10’ and the relief would open so I would raise the rear blade up and the relief would reset then I would put the blade down and in about 10’ it would do the same thing. Now either the filter and screen is plugged or the spring is weak on the relief or needs to be adjusted some how. I still think that this size tractors hydraulic systems are under cooled and if the fan is not cooling the fluid when it is hot outside in the summer time, then in time it’s going to put undo stress on the system and this problem my have worked up to this over a period of time. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-16          139794

Did your blade hook onto perhaps an edge of some cement or something in the drive that was solid enough to make the tires spin on the tractor before the bypass valve kicked in? Do you have chains on the tractor? Did you drive it back to the shed with the blade lifted without a problem? Maybe your answers to these questions will lead us to your problem a bit quicker. Best of luck. Frank. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac

2007-02-16          139806

The answer to hardwood reply is no. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac

2007-02-23          139983

Found out today the problem with My Bx the relief valve okay, it’s the pump motor gone bad. I was told by the dealer mechanic it’s a known problem on these tractors. Luckily under warranty. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
Art White

2007-02-24          139989

Just got back from vaca but this is interesting to see that the hydro pump was shot! I think they might be searching as we haven't had any problems with them. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac

2007-02-24          139994

The only thing I can think of to pass oil by, would be the relief or the pump, when I would move forward or backwards the pedal would chatter when under a load, fine if you are just traveling from point A To B with no load, but as soon as I would put a load on the tractor this is when the pedal would chatter. Even when I drove the tractor in 6 inches of snow in 4 low it would start to chatter, never had this problem before. I have no clue I’ll see what it does when it comes back on Monday. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
mscott6799

2007-03-14          140427

Did you get your tractor fixed? If you did who picked up the tab? My BX23 clicks after it gets hot when you try to push it hard. I have less then 300 hours and have had it 2 years late Dec. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
botamac

2007-03-14          140429

Kubota picked up the tab, under warranty 3 years on motor and trans I had 2 months left on my warranty. I got lucky the pump is big bucks. If yours makes that chattering sound when you press on the hydro peddle and you know it does not sound right must likely it’s the pump. Good luck. ....

BX relief lifting

View my Photos
mscott6799

2007-03-17          140491

Art...have you not seen any bad pumps on the BX23?? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login