Go Bottom Go Bottom

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-09          139675

Hi everyone, I bought a Northern Ontario waterfront lot last year and would like advice on BX TLB capabilities. I have several big stones 2X2X3, stumps from trees 16 inches across and the rest is rocks and gravel that I need to move around the lot to level. I also need to clear the waterfront of rocks "slowly" so the Ministry don't notice (wink). IF needed, I have limited access the neighbours backhoe, but would like to do most of it by myself. From what I have read the BX seems capable but I figured I ask the experts. Told the wife I would by a tractor, use it for a couple years then sell it, but after reading about the BX maybe I'll try to hide it in the garage after!!

Forgot to add. Stones do not have to be lifted away, rolled out of the way would be find. The stones weight about 170 # per cubic foot. And I got all the time in the world (if The BX comes with a beer holder). Canadian eh!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-09          139682

Ontario, first of all, welcome to the board neighbour!!!!

Second, not to err, umm, 'rain' on your parade, but take it from experience, it's NOT the MNR you have to worry about. You put a tractor on the shoreline, and 6 people will be out there with cameras and telephones in hand.

As to your stones, ones that size will weigh in the neighbourhood of 2,000 pounds. You will not lift those with anything close to the size of a BX, if you are really lucky, and a bit patient, you MIGHT be able to roll them on fairly flat land, or downhill, certainly not up hill. They may move a little, but when you stop pushing, they will come right back at you, with a VENGEANCE!!!

Best way to deal with rocks on a shoreline is to set anchors in the ice with an auger and let them freeze in really good, then this time of year use a come-along to winch them out onto the ice, when spring comes they'll disappear for good. Just be sure to mark them well so nobody hits them with a sled.

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO

2007-02-12          139723

Thanks for the advice, I guess I need to buy a backhoe>>>

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-13          139735

I don't know your site conditions/terrain, but you may want to look at a walk-behind (or ride-behind/on), rubber tracked, skid steer loader with pallet forks---no bucket needed for moving the rocks and stumps. Some brands are Bobcat, Vermeer, Kanga, RamRod, and DitchWitch. The DitchWitch and Bobcat are very strong machines. I saw one push BIG pulled-out stumps, and about 10 yards of tree debris at one time--and that was on swampy mud. With the pallet forks you may not be able to lift the rock and carry it, but you may be able to get underneath it, tip and power-roll it. You may find that making a sling from chain, rope, cable or 2" strap can be used to pull previously unreachable items. You could put the skid steer (or even a car or truck) on dry land or a highly tractive surface and tug away. A backhoe may have the reach but you may end up miring it. That won't be pretty. The skid steers aforementioned can be sometimes rented in most locales---if not, look up local landcapers who may own their own machine. If that doesn't work, look up the manufacturers' local dealer for assistance. Just like cell phones 25 years ago--everyone should have one (if you have $15-30K) ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-13          139736

Ontario, based on where you are, and the kind of work you want to do, I would say you're going to need a VERY big backhoe.

You would probably end up with a much nicer job getting a local in with a dozer for a day or two during freeze up, like now, to push the stones you want out onto the ice, or up into the bush, whichever you please.

You can do a LOT of work with a dozer in the winter and never even know it was there come spring if the operator knows what he's doing. Price-wise a dozer is very good value, you can accomplish a lot of work in pretty short order, and they don't cost a lot per hour to hire one.

If you are along the 144 corridor, or either way on 17 there are all kinds of little one man shows with a backhoe a dozer and a dump truck for hire. If you can let them do it as fill-in between other jobs, they will often make you a really good deal.

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-13          139739

Murf: Firstly, my bad for not thinking that yer frozenin up there in the hinterland.

Second, you don't like the mini-skid steer idea? ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-13          139743

Jeff, I like the idea...... BUT.......

The area he's in is sort of like the UP or northern Wisconsin area, terrain wise, certainly NOT the place for a 'mini' anything, pretty tough ground.

Also, the rocks he's talking about are 2,000+ pound pieces, and the next to the lake, along the shore.

Personally, I think the machine for the job, based on fighting with them in that area in the past, is a 20+ ton excavator with a thumb on it.

But I'm jis' sayin's all.......

BTW, I take it your 4 wheeled abode didn't leave in that storm this morning? ;)

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-02-13          139745

Murf,
"BTW, I take it your 4 wheeled abode didn't leave in that storm this morning?"

More circles??? Just asking...
kt

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-13          139746

Kenneth, more circles indeed, but the bad kind.

A nasty band of thunderstorms went through the New Orleans area early this morning, spawned a suspected tornado.

Undid some of the Katrina repairs. :(

I wonder if it ripped any of the tassles or fringe of ole Jeffy's tractors canopy? ;)

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-13          139750

Actually in "N'awlins" there were at least two tornados, 28 injured one dead. Being 12 miles from the LA border, I was braced for the worst, but the trailer didn't even rock. There was alot of thunder and pouring rain for a few hours early this morning. And today it was 77 and so sunny that my forearms still burn. Gotta tell you though, I'm living on property adjacent to 3 very tall cell phone towers. When the winds blows through them and their guy wires it sounds like 100 freakin' locomotives I tells ya!

I'm parked under two smaller Live oaks that made it through Katrina so I figured it's probably safer directly under them than away from them as far as falling trees go.

I'm five miles from the gulf bay. Even so, if the winds blow on even a nice day from the southeast the roads can flood 8" or more---sometimes 3-4 feet every 4-5 years---and it's been 3 so far since. Homey don't do dat. Thanks guys for think'n of me.

Now... who can I rely on to help evacuate :)? No hurry. Hurricane season starts in a few months.

And Murf the best price I got to get the manlift was $1 loaded mile. The worst (and he's from the hinterland of course) was $1.75. It will cost me $1250--about the same for just fuel for me if I go get it it---and I won't be on the road for 5 days either. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2007-02-14          139751

Ontario.... If you don't mind my asking, how come you want to remove the rocks from the shoreline? In my geologically challanged area people pay good money to put rocks on their shoreline. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO

2007-02-14          139755

We are in Sudbury, Rock, swamp and moose is what you find up here. I need to clear the rocks from the shoreline because I would like to have a boat lanch/swiming area. Most of the lot is gravel and smaller rock less then 1 cubic foot. I would like to have a machine that can dig up material then move it around. Like I mentioned before the guy next to me has heavy equipement available, escavators and backhoes as he owns a road construction company. What I found is that he can only bring them up when they are not needed at the job site. He had no problems last year with the backhoe to "throw" big rocks around. A backhoe would do the trick for me but it's seems a bit big!!What about an old farm tractor with a hoe???Asking for troubles I think!!! Just fell in love with those little Kubotas. Norm ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-14          139756

I know about neighbors who have equipment. I'm one. Granted, I grew up on a farm where everyone helped the other. Typically it was us that the equipment. That was 30 years ago.

Nowadays, knowing the cost of ownership, the hair on the back of my neck raises when a neighbor or relative wants something done for free or offers a fraction of it's worth (here in the deep South there is a sense of entitlement that if YOU have it, THEY get to borrow it even if they don't know you). Invariably that freebee costs me--like last weekend. A friend asked me to move about 50 yards of tree and home construction debris at his new house 20 miles away. In the space of a half hour I picked up three framing nails ending up in a shot weekend both time and money wise due to having a flat which has to be broken down and repaired, and remove and reinstall the steel track--4 hours in all. He didn't offer anything for the help, nor the flat---except a blank look on his face that said "it sucks to be you".

If I'm the one that needs the help of someone else's equipment or time I won't ask---I'll go pay someone else first. If the friend offers, I will either return the favor x2, or pay them outright fair market price (and they're not shy about accepting it either). No one can operate for free. If they tell you they can or will, expect to pay somehow or somewhere. Nobody eats for free. Call me jaded. Maybe when I strike it rich I won't care, but until then...Welcome to my world! ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-02-14          139757

EW,

You know when you said been there, done that. I have been there done that. They borrow your stuff, tear it up, then give it back and say it broke. I think that is why ONTARIO wants to find the correct tractor that he can buy for the job.

Ontario,

We dont have any rocks in southeast GA., but I will take any off your hands that you can get down here. Just be carefull with whatever machine you end up with. Moving large heavy items with very little experence can some times be risky. "Been there Done that". If you use the FEL to move the Rocks keep the bucket as low to the ground as possible to avoid tipping. Have a plan!!!!! Good LUCK ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO

2007-02-14          139760

Ya I don't want to bug him, I go to camp to relax(drink beers).... SO you want my rocks, ugly rocks. I live in a mining town. Rocks is what we have. ATVs up here get a beating. Maybe I should get into the bus. of selling rocks, it could pay off my lot... I'm now thinking something like a B21, is that a capable machine??

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO

2007-02-14          139761

E/W
You got to learn to say NO or just lie!!!

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-14          139762

Rocks. A year and a half ago rocks of any size were going for 14 cents a pound retail picked up at the landscape dealer. My price was 9 cents. It used to be rocks were considered trash until recently. You used to be able to buy nice rocks that were part of the geology in limestone quarries for $12 a ton---until ritzy types bought them all up for big expensive projects.

I assisted on a quote for building a big playscape for the city of Waveland, MS that was to be built by volunteers. The architect is in Pennsylvania and had spec'd--get this--boulders weighing in excess of 12,000 to 20,000 lb.! Yeah sure. I called around to the locals and they scratched their heads--ain't neva seen a rock dat big! They told me you have to drive 300 miles or more north to find even small rocks.

So Ontario, if you got yerself a truck and trailer to pull the machine on you might make some money selling rocks. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-02-14          139763

Rocks in GA go for 18 to 21 cents a pound. All day long. A good size bolder will go for 3 to 4 hundred dollars. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-14          139764

Ontario, you're only 1500 miles away from me, or 26 hours. How much can you haul? Might be a market here. You could stop by Steam Genie's place too!

ROAD TRIP!

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-15          139774

Ontario, if an improved shoreline is your goal, there is another, less labour-intense way to do it, but it takes a year or two....

If your property faces north or south, chances are the waves roll along the shore, rather than straight in since the prevailing winds are westerly.

If this is the case, then put the excess rocks in a line right tight together and pointing straight out into the lake, as close to 90° to the wind as you can. The wave action will cause a sandbar to naturally be built up behind this rock breakwall, and even if the shore there is naturally a little mucky, the much will disappear in favour of sand in no time.

The BX will do a lot of work, but as I often tell people, you have to pick your battles. Get a big machine in to do the heavy work, and then putter at the little jobs afterwards as your free time allows.

BTW, what area are we talking about, north towards Timmins, or in the Sudbury area itself?

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-02-15          139780

EW, figure the cost you need or want per hour for your machine for the normal business. Then figure what you need per hour for a job for a true friend, (like SG). Then when you are asked such you can quickly reply, my normal rate is ... but since you are friend it will only be ... If you do that right when asked it probably will not cause any hard feelings. Another approach that works very well is; thank you for asking, it really is an honor you are considering hiring me (or asking for a free favor), sure wish I could do it. But due to work load or due to my policy of not mixing business with friends I just can not. Something else that works is stop telling people it is your equipment, rather it belongs to so and so and they keep track of the hours, milege or such and there is just no way you can make it work. Now, so you don't lie, set up a LLC company or such and let "your" company own it.

Have a new neighbor that needed his yard "bush hogged" as the house had sat vacant for about 3 years. He asked me what I would charge and my reply was he did not have enough to hire me. Now, what kind of neighbor are you going to be and I may do it for free. Guess he fits as a good neighbor, have not seen him since I did the work about 4 months ago, not even a thank you. Outsiders! No manners! Almost as bad as the ones who grew up here. :)

Saw a pickup yesterday with the following bumper sticker: Yes this is my pickup, No I will not help you move. Must be a problem in Ohio also.

kt

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-16          139796

Kenneth, that bumper sticker is all over the place now.

Reminds me of a joke I heard from a redneck comedian on TV;

"When does a grubby redneck with a couple old pickups become a country gentleman with a wide array of transportation choices?"

"When he marries your sister." :)

Right Jeffy? ;)

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-16          139808

Kenny---I know that O-H-I-O jab was for me---but I'm from MICHIGAN, not the bastian of Redneckdome Ohio is fer sure--besides they're MUCH closer to you! (Guilty by association perhaps? hmmmm?)

And MurfY--you crack me up, feller.

Speaking of country gentelmen and pickups; around here you're judged by your ability to squeeze FEMA (read: take advantage of the system) by the cost of your $60,000 pickup. Or new Harley. Or in "ethnic" areas by your gold teeth or "FEMA rims" (big, gawdy chrome rims with low profile tires) on your Candy Apple Blue Chevy Caprice. (I overheard a guy ask an ethnic cashier that about her teeth--she went ballistic stating she had them BEFORE the storm--he wasn't convinced) ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO

2007-02-17          139839

We are in Sudbury, land of the rocks. We just need to move a few rocks from the shore line to get the boat in/out and a small area to get into the water. I would like a machine to do the rest by myself, as the next door guy is a very popular with his equipment(he is also there to relax) I'm thinking of the b20-B21 may be a better fit for me.

waterfront lot

View my Photos
charlieK

2007-02-18          139849

now we be gettin back to the subject at hand. ontario, I just got back from the national farm machinery show in louisville,ky. the L3240 looked real good to me. ck. it out
;) ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
ONTARIO

2007-02-18          139853

Can I burn out a small tractor BX, or will it just not be able to do what I ask?

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-19          139859

Ontario, no you won't burn it out as long as you're careful, if you get a little too ham-handed about it you can ruin anything, but if you are gentle you'll be fine.

If you have access to a welder, or someone who can weld for you, you can make up a jeep (or dolly) to move rocks and logs around, with that even a little BX wil move a good-sized rock no problem.

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
prothlauf

2007-02-19          139891

Hi:

How about an old car hood with a couple holes punched in front with a chain/cable. Slide rock onto hood use snow or garden hose to make ice and pull up now with longer chain cable whatnot. my idea next spring/winter to get some boulders out of crick and up hill to yard.

Pat R ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-20          139907

Pat, that's a common old farmers trick for making a stone boat.

Problems arise in this scenraio though, how do you 'slide' a 2,000 pound rock onto a slippery car hood, how do you secure that rock to the hood while you pull it up the hill so it doesn't just roll off and back down to where you started?

Moving them across flat land is much easier.

Best of luck. ....

waterfront lot

View my Photos
prothlauf

2007-02-20          139912

I was going to shoot some screws thru 2bys into ribs to hold rock on. the loader/bh to slide rock onto hood maybe some stakes to hold hood in place. Didn't say it would be easy but when I was in 8th grade friend wanted a ROCK for his garden. Found 1 about 1.5' across and 2' long. first day 3 of us got it out of crick onto 3' bank. Next day got it moved about 100' to railroad right of way. Friend called rail agent about cost to move rock still remember his comment "a single rock?" He must of thought a joke but 13 yr old kids are resourcefull. Got wagon loaded rock broke wagon fixed wagon and drug it 1/4mile along tracks. friend uncle said if we got it to bottom of hill he would bring brick/masonary company truck and haul. He lied, so with 2 pulling and 1 keeping 4X4 behind wheel as brake got it up 150' 25 deg slope and 1/2 mile to house where it still was 5-10 yrs ago. Remember this was 1968ish.Took most of a week so figure with hyd tractor a mere 2X2X3 rock is piece of cake! Time will tell. never heard of a stone boat B4.

Pat R ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login