Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yet another choosing a Kubota tractor

View my Photos
lmclaus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-30          137462

I have 2.7 acres of land. I want a tactor to help me with maintaining my gravel roads, initially doing significant amount of logging and dragging fallen trees around (although when all of the trees have been cleaned up there will but much less), gardening, planting a lot of new trees, snow shoveling and more. I have a lot of living tress on the property that I need to go between so I do need a somewhat nimble tractor. I had initially looked a the B7800 but the Kubota salesman told me that I should consider the L3400 which cost the same amount for a more powerful tractor. Is this tractor about as manerverable as the B7800? Do I neeed the additonal power? Are there any other considerations/Kubotas I need to be look at? Any help will be appreciated with this decision. I will be a happy first tractor owner when the decision is eventually made.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-30          137463

There are plenty of differences between the two with manuverability in the B-s favor over the L-series. The B7800 will take front blower as well as mid-mount attachments. The L will pull more and very well be better initially for clean-up do to it's weight and size but later be a hinderence. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-30          137466

Maneuverability vs. power is always a compromise. We are on 15 wooded acres. At times I wish my JD was smaller, yet other times bigger would be better. My guess is the B7800 would be fine. Worst case you might have to cut logs a little smaller. ....

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-12-01          137493

2.7 acres for an L. That is a lot of tractor for a little piece of property. I have 2 acres and a bx1500. My primary use is mowing most of the year, however I am currenlty grading about 1/4 acre of scrub and ticket that I have used the tractor to reclaim. I would think that once you are done with the heavy stuff, a BX24 with backhoe would be a great choice. It would allow something light enough to mow well, and versitle enought to till small gardens and dig holes for trees. I would hire a dozer for a few days to push over all the trees and use the tractor for clean up. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-12-03          137528

Too much tractor! Like driving a Lincoln Navigator in Bermuda. ....

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-12-05          137589

Like a Hummer to get the mail. ....

View my Photos
WhitleyStu

2006-12-06          137645

When the driveway gets icy I take the BX to the mail box. The neighbors will never see me on the ground again... Once is enough!!! ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2006-12-07          137700

You are under estemating the power of these tractors big time. I got a b7510 and manage a 4ac, 7.6ac,7ac and a 37ac property were I cut 22ac of grass three times a year. It works just fine. Sometimes I wish I would have went with a 7800 for the extra nine horse power for the tall grass. In the tall grass I wish I had enough power to stay in high gear cause 22 acres gets old real fast in low gear and sometimes the tall grass gets thick before I know it,otherwise high gear cuts it real good. Depending on the size of trees and width of the logs,you may want a bobcat. If it's 6" logs 100" long (pulp)a 7510 would pull them out like nothing. After you're done logging a bx would work fine. I rotto till gardens for me and others at 1800rpm so I know even the smallest bx would work fine. Remember a diesel is a heck of a motor, much different than gas tractors. ....

View my Photos
ejkessler

2006-12-07          137713

I just recently traded in my bx22 for a L2800,29 hp w/more torque than the 7800. I have a Kenneling business with 4.5 acres of mowing, posthole digging (bh75 w/ 10' bucket), trenching, irrigation pond excavation, grading, snow blowing (3pt),york raking and roto tilling. I seriously considred the L3400 which is the same tractor with 5 more hp. The cost was 1200 to 1500 more and concluded that all it would do is use more fuel. Unlees you are going to run pto operated machinery that requires more than 22.5hp the L2800 is a lot of tractor for the money. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-01-09          138608

Maneuverability vs. power is always a compromise.
;;;;;;;;
That's why I have a BX23 and a CC GT2554.
The two together add up to less compromising and more versatility. ....

View my Photos
kwolfe

2007-01-09          138613

I think that the L Series would be some serious overkill for what you want to accomplish. My BX1500 will drag logs just fine and it has only 15hp. The B series would be better because of the ground clearance. If you are concerned with price also, you could look at the B7510. That tractor has more than enough grunt to haul logs, pull a box blade for road maintenance and move snow. The money you save could go towards more toys (maybe a tiller for gardening):-). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login