Go Bottom Go Bottom

Blow by

View my Photos
rgpbeme
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-24          136279

Hi I have talked about my little B7200 before I wanted to know what causes blow by. Mine blows alot. It is worse at idle. I even have some oil drops coming out the tube. The tractor runs great has plenty of power and the exhaust is clean. The oil is at the right level and it uses hardly any oil. You can pinch the overflow tube and it will blow the dip stick out
Thanks Ron

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Blow by

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-24          136281

Sounds like a worn or broken piston ring. I had a skid steer that did that and ran OK with blow by for about a year or so then worsened to the point oil was dripping out at a such at rate I was losing a quart a day.

Does it smoke before it warms up? ....

Blow by

View my Photos
rgpbeme

2006-10-24          136283

yes it does . It seems to smoke more when on a angle It dosen't smoke as much when running at higher RPM.

It has only had a drop or two of oil come out ....

Blow by

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-25          136287

I dunno about yours but mine dripped oil AND it was being sucked into the intake (air cleaner) and collected there. If it's whiteish grey smoke it's oil, blackish brown is fuel. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-25          136288

I'd be checking the air cleaner and more then likely replace it.. From past experience it is a problem with ring leakage past the rings. This could be from wear or cylinder glazing. The wear part needs new rings in a rebuild. The glazing is from unburnt or partially burnt fuel from running an engine to cold. This can be cured by warming the engine better and working it hard to reseat the rings if the condition is not to severe oter wise you are back to the reringing process. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
bewing

2006-10-25          136314

Where do you find this tube you are talking about? I have an older Bobcat 743 that puffs a little white smoke for 2-3 seconds when it first starts. It doesn't seem to burn any oil and after it starts it runs clean unless it is under a load and it smokes a little. WHat tube are you talking about and does my B7500 Kubota have a blow by tube too? ....

Blow by

View my Photos
rgpbeme

2006-10-25          136315

Hi I don't think it is a blow by tube. It is the vent tube that comes off of the valve cover. Blow by is all the smoke that is coming out of the vent tube. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
bewing

2006-10-25          136316

Thanks for your comments. It sounds like if I do not have any smoke coming out of the tube on the valve covers or alot of pressure I should be ok?

Is this tube on the valve covers there to bleed off unwanted pressure in the valve cover area? ....

Blow by

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-26          136317

Bewing; The tube coming from the valve cover is to relieve crankcase pressure. It should be checked periodicly to be sure it is open, engines have been ruined because of a cloged blowby tube. When it is completly plugged the pressure from blowby has to go somewhere so usually it pushes oil past the main bearing seals, valve cover gaskets, etc. A little blowby is normal even a new engine has a little. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-26          136318

bewing on the Bobcat it's normal to have a few puffs of grey smoke---that's unburned fuel. It should go away after it warms up. If you restart it while warm it isn't there right? Vent tubes from my experience don't have to go all the way up to the valve cover; sometoimes they will come out the side of the block. Their purpose is to vent the crancase either to the atmosphere directly or recirculate it to the air cleaner (diesels) or to the intake through a PCV valve (gas) ....

Blow by

View my Photos
rgpbeme

2006-10-26          136323

I can't read all the message. I don't have enough equipment to join full acess
Thanks for the comments

ArtW The tractor has a new air filter. Is there some additive I should use to help reseat the rings I don't use the tractor enough to buy a rebuild The tractor is new to me I always warm it up. and cycle the loader cylinders several time befor use ....

Blow by

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-26          136337

What we do to help get the rings to reseat is to be sure the tractor is getting up to temperature. Then we load or overload it with the dyno for a couple of hours to bring everything to it's best. We've seen 100 horsepower tractors gain 20% horsepower when they get reseated. We've seen some that had been run to long with the cold running and with four or five hours on the dyno they still wouldn't come back. Your tractor has a syphon cooling system and often the owners didn't get them up to temp to break-in properly. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
bewing

2006-10-26          136358

earthwrks you are correct right after the engine starts the white smoke goes away. There is a little blackish smoke coming from the exhaust when it is under a load but nothing excessive. I will look to see if I can find the tube and check it and make sure that it it clear for preventative maintenance if that is a good idea. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-27          136363

bewing if you don't have an intake grid- or glow-plug type heater then I think you have a normal condition of grey smoke going away. If you do have a heater system and it's not working you might want to fix it as it allows the engine to start almost immediately reducing starter wear and increasing battery life. ....

Blow by

View my Photos
rgpbeme

2006-10-27          136367

Mr White thanks Your message was cut off a syphon cooling. What was after that. What is a good way to load the engine in the field? Whould holding the loader valve or raising the 3-point and keep it on work? I can't believe the power the little guy has. Would a compression test tell anything ....

Blow by

View my Photos
Art White

2006-10-27          136368

To do in the field would be like brush-hogging or mowing under load for a few hours. It would need to be kept at full load. If you are not loosing oil and you have it coming out the breather then it must be being replaced by fuel oil or antifreeze from a head gasket. Do check the engine temp with a gauge or a hand held laser guided heat detector. There is a unit that would drop in the radiator openning that is economical to buy but use caution removing the cap from a hot engine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login