Go Bottom Go Bottom

converting cat 0 spacing to cat1

View my Photos
prothlauf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-15          135954

have a cat1 tow bar setup with 2 balls and a clevis set up for the narrower cat 0 spacing. Now I have a HF quik hitch hookup so I need to get the pins longer. Tried 1"&3/4 pipe but 2 big/small Anybody know of pin extension thingy's?

Thanx

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-15          135957

I don't quite under stand the problem but you might want to look at 7/8 diameter drawbar hitch pins to be tight in the holes. ....

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-10-16          135966

You are using the shorter cat0 drawbar which is about 20inches long right? The regular cat1 drawbar is about 26 inches long. You may have to take a trip to your local TSC and spend the $25 for a new one. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-16          135967

pro,

If I am understanding you, you are trying to slip pipe over the current pins to get the needed length for the wider spacing.

I think if the pipe fit, it would be a problem waiting to happen JUST as soon as a load was placed on it.

I would think any pins the length it seems you need them to be would have a hard time holding up to the load (also their mounts on the equipment). That being said, you may be able to find grade EIGHT bolts the diameter and length you need and use them by cutting the head off. Again, I don't think this is a good nor safe idea.

My frst suggestion would be to have mounts welded on for the proper width. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-10-16          135968

A category 0 drawbar has 5/8" dia. lift arm holes with 20" spacing. Category 1 drawbars have 7/8" diameter lift arm holes and come in models with 20" and 26" spacings. The 20" spacing is for some sub-compact tractors. I would not recommend trying to weld something up and take the chance that it would break causing some sort of injury and/or property damage.

A Category 1 drawbar with 26" spacing generally sells for about $26.00. Don't think the work and aggrevation is worth that. ....

View my Photos
prothlauf

2006-10-16          135973

Thanx all. Will either get the 26" drawbar and weld it to the hitch frame thing or dismount balls/clevis and get a drawbar lock to prevent spinning. Wasn't real worried about weight as top link of the quik hitch had it was more concerned about bottom of frame pulling out when towing trailer. just put it on hook and chained it down so only 1-2" movment if did come lose but to high for normal use. Now I know I should have been looking 7/8 ID instead of 1" just had eyeballed it

Thanx again ....

View my Photos
prothlauf

2006-10-16          135974

The thing looks like the letter A with the balls/clevis on the horizontal piece with the pins going out and the legs of A sawed off. Prob is the horz piece is only the 20" instead of 26. Works fine without the quik hitch but that defeats purpose of the quik hitch. Wasn't thinking down road when got the sub comp space for bx-23 ....

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-10-16          135980

I think you found your solution. I have a drawbar that has a bolt on A frame in order to hook it to the top link. Cost 40$ for the conversion kit. Works great! I thought I would need the narrower spacing for the bx, however kubota has done a great job making it so that you can get regularly spaced cat1 in their. I have had my arms near 29inches apart before. Anyway, glad to hear you have found the solution. ....

View my Photos
prothlauf

2006-10-16          135986

Hi Kwolfe:

Who has it?/any item number or watknot?

Already have a 26" drawbar and the locks on e-bay > $40

Thanx Pat R ....

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-10-17          135997

Pat,
You can find it at stevenstractor.com. http://www.stevenstractor.com/merchant.ihtml?id=1105&step=2 If that path does not work, click on Browse > Tractor Parts & Accesories > 3 point htich accessories > drawbars and related parts. It is the third item down called Drawbar a frame for $36.95.
It is made of either 3/8" or 1/2" bar stock (can't remember) and comes with all of the mounting hardware. leave this on my machine most of the time.
Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-17          136003

Or you could keep it in the family here.

The link below shows a product from yooperpete's shop. It is top notch stuff and you will be happy with it. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-10-19          136049

You are right, however when money is tight, $40 wins out. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-10-19          136069

Understood......... ....

View my Photos
prothlauf

2006-10-22          136206

Well I did luck out and this might be what Kthompson was about to say(only have the free membership) found some 8" pins at small farm supply store that had 2 nuts instead of 1 nut/shoulder works fine only needed 3" total to make it to 26". Won't have much weight vertical and only pulling light trailer over flat ground
Thanx to all PatR ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login