Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buying New Kubota 3030 vs 7800

View my Photos
charlesaf3
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-08          133081

Hi,

I just spent hours reading the board, and got lots of great advice that I thank everyone here for. It did raise an issue that I hadn't thought of as well.

I have 7.5 acres of land, with 1.5 acres grass or so. The land is very hilly. I had the opportunity to use an L while clearing some land, and a tractor immediately went onto my must have list. I was trying to decide between a BX24 and the B7800, but the posts I've read seem to make it clear that the B series would be better in the woods.

The question is, does the 1/4 turn on the 7800 vs the hydraulic and positional stuff for the pto on the 3030 matter? I'd rather pay the approximately 2k less for the 7800, but not if I'm going to be kicking myself regularly on the pto - the rest of the 3030 stuff doesn't seem that useful to me.

Thanks for any help.

Charles

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-08          133086

used to own B7800 - nothing but fond memories. 1/4in valve does take some getting used to, but not a big deal at all. If I did have the extra 2K to spend, I'd go ahead and grab 3030 for all the extra conveniences. Hopefully you'll have this tractor for many years and over time 2K will seem like a worthwile investment on an upgraded model. but I like I said, I absolutely loved the 7800. Those 30hp are Clydesdales, not welsh ponies. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-08          133117

Charles, I was trying to comprehend your concern over the controls like the PTO and I don't understand them. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-08          133119

Art, I think his question regards the quarter inching valve vs. position control for the three-point hitch. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-08          133120

Sorry for the lack of clarity - yes, that describes my issue clearly - does the position control and other PTO stuff on the 3030 justify the higher price?

THanks,

Charles ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-10          133147

I would think that the answer would take more knowledge of your chores that you propose to use the tractor for. The mid PTO shaft could be added at anytime you might want to use it on the B7800. The hitch would depend on the amount of three point hitch equipment would be changed for the extendable links and the pin adjustments. The position control is not accurate for grading any more and actually probably less accurate then the quarter inching valve as with position control the settings are not the same if letting down vs coming up to desired height. Depending on your choice maybe a L-2800 hydro might work and you would have the size machine you might like. Often going too large does limit where and what you can do just like buying to small. Small just means more time to do the job and diesels like to be run! ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-10          133154

Thank you very much for your help Art - not just in this case, I've read a lot of what you posted going back years, and its been really useful for me.

I'm afraid I'm not sophisticated enough in the tractor world to know whether the position control is better for me - it just seemed like the 3030 had a generally nicer system for the pto? Much as I'd love an L, I think a big B is probably best since mowing will play a big role - is this right? I also would use it for grading a long dirt/gravel road, with a box blade I'm assuming.

I'm definitely planning on the FEL and the mid PTO 72" deck, so it seems like hydrostatic would make my life much easier.

Other things I'd like to throw on the PTO, mostly eventually as the budget is going to be pretty slammed by the tractor purchase in the first place, are Bush Hog, chipper/shredder, stump grinder, rototiller, some sort of trencher, and I'd love a backhoe though the price makes it hard to justify.

Also, I have a very hilly lot if that matters. Would it be possible/useful to put on Dual rear tires for stability? I was thinking the r4s, but read some stuff about them being worse on hills than turf, which didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks again for your advice.

Charles ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-10          133156

The difference in the PTO is not to much of a factor for a hydro although the 3030's is like the big farm tractors. As far as duals that would be tough as it for sure would make them wider then the deck. The industrial tires are like a half way point in aggressive tread for soggy conditions but they are what they say industrial! They are built for carring heavy loads with strong sidewalls so the ride tends to be rougher then the turf or ag tires. Depending on what you are mowing with now most all machines are created equal as far as operating on slopes and it can be hairy to say the least on some grades although some have no problem with what might scare someone else. The best with operating on slopes is to keep everything low below the center of the tractor. The 72" deck is a ground engaging deck and does a great job and should be an assit to you,carring the loader low if on would also help. Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-10          133158

Would the pto controls make running things off the pto easier? And does the 3030 have a noticeably longer frame, so it can carry more in the FEL?

I think I'll go for Duals if possible. Rather have some cut issues than a rolling tractor. I'll get weighted tires as well, and also carry the FEL low and a brush hog on the PTO - figure that combination will get the center of gravity way down, and I don't think the weight issues will be a big deal - I don't mow wet turf.

What do you think of the chipper etc on a B? Is there a weight limit to PTO attachments, or just a HP limit? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-10          133160

I doubt if Kubota make duals for these machines. Maybe some third part manufacturer makes a kit. As far as a chipper goes, what is it that you want to chip? A 3-point chipper on one of these small machines is limited in capacity compared to a full size chipper. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-10          133161

Yeah, I was hoping Gemplers or some such would have a way of mounting duals.

WHat do I want to chip? 16" pine! What will I settle for chipping? 5" oak. It seems to be reasonable per bearcat etc and I assume its cheaper than buying a separate chipper. But maybe not - I'm going to buy a harbor frieght 30 ton wood splitter rather than a pto one as it ends up being much cheaper.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-10          133163

5" oak would be pushing it on those machines. You might be able to chip short pieces but feeding it a steady diet of 5" oak would likely cause it to stall out. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-10          133168

I don't recommend tractor run splitters at all do to economics. For your chipper I think you are light on tractor. I'd say a 4" is fine and no more. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-10          133172

charles,

Is there a weight limit to PTO attachments, or just a HP limit?

You have a weight limit on any tractor lift or frame or tires, whether it is connect to a PTO or not. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-10          133179

ah, good to know on the chipper. And disappointing. Still, 4"would do - I'm not about to go out and buy a 30k vermeer, though they sure are nice. BUt 4" is doable, just means more time with the chainsaw, and more wood to burn.

I guess I wasn't very clear again on the pto weight - I was wondering what the effective weight limit for the B7800 and 3030 pto was - couldn't find it in the specs on Kubotas website.

Thanks,

Charles ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-10          133189

Charles I think what you are looking for is the three point hitch lift limits which are at the hitch points and at 24" to the rear. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-11          133213

Exactly art - I missed it in the specs if its there. Do you know what it is by any chance?

Thanks,

Charles ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-12          133232

The B-7800 will lift 1655 at the hitch points and 1300 24" behind. The 3030 and 2630 will lift 2139 at the hitch points and 1676 24" behind. Maybe to look at the 2630 and the savings might be the best choice. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-12          133236

Thanks Art, that's really useful. B2630 is a really interesting thought. Would I lose anything besides horsepower - ie is it just a lighter 3 cyl engine, or is the frame smaller etc?

From what you've said, it seems to be coming down to the 3030 or the 2630. I know I'm going to look at the Ls and want them, but I have a lot of mowing to do, so I gather that just isn't a good idea.
Thanks,

Charles ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-12          133246

The economy L's are great workers for the money and with the hydro's available the only draw back is the lack of mid-pto. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-13          133251

how big a deal is the lack of a mid pto on the Ls? I know rear pto finish mowers are cheaper... Are the Ls that much worse for mowing because of maneuverability and weight?

Also, which would be better on hills and in woods, both of which are going to play a big role in the life of this future tractor.

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to getting this - it's like a kid at christmas! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-13          133252

If you have to finish mow in and around trees the mmm would be much more maneuverable. If your property is like ours, hilly with lots of trees, towing implements can be a bit of a challenge. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-13          133253

hmm. Currently I have a hilly one acre field with 5 or 6 trees in it, and another 1/3 acre lawn with no trees. I have another 5 acres of forest, and one of the goals of the tractor is to brush mow it, clear it, and turn it into fields.

Maneuverability will matter in the forest.

I was also thinking the mmm would lower the center of gravity, and make the tractor more stable on hills?

Seems like the ideal would be outriggers. Wonder if anyone has ever done that? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-13          133254

Outriggers? You mean for ballast? I've never seen that but it's an interesting idea.

I don't think there is such a thing as a mid mount rotary cutter (bush hog) so in those areas you're probably stuck with a 3-point. I have to bush hog in our forested area and that's the hardest thing to do maneuverability wise. Those are times when a smaller tractor and a 3-4 foot bush hog would help.

The mid mount mower would lower CG, but when you crest a hill it might be more likely to scalp. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-13          133260

yeah, for ballast, and to prevent tipping too far. Maybe pipe on the FEL with weights would work ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-14          133270

Just a thought. I have plenty of customers with BX tractors that navigate thru woods, tow logs, with the backhoe do a lot of work with drainage, small stump removal,(up to a foot or better) and they are very safe on hills. To mow an acre or two amounts to 30 minutes or less including trimming so it would leave a lot of spare time for the other chores. ....

View my Photos
charlesaf3

2006-08-14          133290

Hi Art,

I gave some thought to the BX24, and could easily be made to reconsider, but I thought it would be too small for the logging I wanted to do, and the PTO horsepower too small for the other various things I want to add on. If the B3030 is also going to be too small, I might as well get the BX24 for the same money and get the backhoe I'd love to have but have trouble justifying... Is the BX24 more stable on hills do you think?

Thanks,

Charles ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login