Go Bottom Go Bottom

additional lighting

View my Photos
golfpro222
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-22          132531

I'm trying to attach lights to my ROPS bar of my BX23 for forward lighting. I have clamps and lights and wiring. I was told to splice into a tail light connection. How exactly do I do this? I am looking for a "y" connection that I can simply plug into the feed and ground of my tail light but can't find any at local stores.

Where can I find such a thing or can someone explain how to do this? I have done very little work with wiring.

Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

additional lighting

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-07-23          132539

You can go to the local Radio Shack and buy a package of inline wire taps. they will allow you to splice into a HOT wire without cutting it, no need for tape etc. all you will need is a pair of pliers to squeese the tap into the wire, close it, snap it to lock it and you are done. They come in Red and Blue and I think like 6 to a package. For wires from 24 ga. to 12 ga. for under $2.00 ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-23          132540

Check the link below to my old website, all about my BX lighting project. ....

Link:   BX Work Lights

additional lighting

View my Photos
stemmler

2006-07-24          132568

what types of light should purchase. Would a Kubota dealer carry such lights. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
botamac

2006-07-24          132575

I found on my BX23 under the seat on top of the transmission there was a red wire with a end on it. Found out it’s a auxiliary for cab lights, it’s hot when the ignition is on. So there is no need to splice into any wires and if put a switch on your new work lights you don’t to turn on your head lights if your using your back hoe. Mine can be used in the forward or rear by rotating the light by using hand nuts, like the hand nuts used on your ROPS bar. Look at picture # 1 I two 35 watt work lights and they work fine front and rear use. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-25          132582

As to type of lights you use the rectangular ones or the round ones probably will make little difference. What will make the most difference is the light pattern it is. For close up you need FLOOD, for a little further away you need TRAPEZOID. Many lights show the pattern on the box. I would want halogen ones if possible. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-25          132591

We have started using a lot of LED lights, they are more money, but last indefinitely.

They also use a vary small fraction of the power of an incadescent bulb.

They are really effective for snow work, it takes very little light to see what you are doing, and often more light just blinds you from the reflection anyways.

The one really handy one we have found is a oval (rectangluar'ish?) white one that is intended to be a reverse light on a transport truck. It is one of those rubber boot mounted sealed units, they even sell the matching mounting bracket for $3. We mount them on the back of the cab just below the back window to light up the 3pth, and sander unit.

The yellow ones owrk very nicely vertically on each side of the cab, and are really attention getting. Being nearly flush they also suffer less from battles with low tree branches.

Best of luck. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
golfpro222

2006-07-25          132600

Botamac,

Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks. I found the red lead but I hadn't been able to until you told me it was there.

Can you tell me in detail how you set up the small bar your lights are mounted to and how exactly you wired it? I looked for a male attachment to fit into the female live lead but couldn't find one that would fit at the tractor supply place.Any suggestions? What did you use for the ground? I have little electrical experience so I'd appreciate any and all details you could provide.

Thanks again for your input so far. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
levalen

2006-07-25          132604

all you need to do is connect to that red wire as your HOT and then connect a ground wire from anywhere on the tractor. That will give you what you need......(1) hot wire and (1) ground...... and connect them to your lights. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
botamac

2006-07-25          132614

golfpro

I had a piece of 3/8 x1-1/2” bar stock bent the end to fit between the rops bar I used self tapping screws and mounted the lights to the bar, added a water tight switch on the bar run the hot wire down to the red wire. That’s about it, just add a little extra lead so you can turn the lights around. ....

additional lighting

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-07-25          132615

Or use one of the leads to power a relay so that you can turn the lights off and on rather than only on with the ignition switch.

Note the black wire with the red stripe comming out of the loom under the seat. This is one of the two ignition-hot leads in that loom. I then spliced into the tail light lead for the switch side of the relay.

And, don't forget a fuse. ....

Link:   Relay detail

additional lighting

View my Photos
golfpro222

2006-07-30          132806

Botamac,

Thanks for all the information. What guage wire did you use?
Is 18 alright?

Where did you find the male connection to plug into the female under the seat? I can't find anything the right size.

Golfpro ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login