Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX Tires

View my Photos
WhitleyStu
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-19          131043

First off I want to thank all of you for the information I have gathered from this forum. I have gone back through the “Tractor Tires” forum and read up of R4s, but still have a few questions. Last September I took delivery of a new BX2230 with FEL, MMM, tiller, and 5’ rear blade, but kept it stored till our new house in the country was finished in December. At the new house (3 acres) it did a great job at clearing the snow from our 400 foot driveway. This spring the BX has been a real back saver when installing the landscaping and putting in a .4 acre garden. The lawn was put in last week so I will be mowing a new yard in a few weeks and I now have to decide if I want to keep running the bar tires that came on the BX, buy turf tires and switch each spring and fall between the turf and bar tires, or switch over to R4s for year round use. My dealer wants $320 for a set of R4s and will allow me $100 for the bar tires that have 55 hours on them. My question is how many of your gents that do both lawn mowing and snow removal switch tires for different seasons or do you just run a tire like the R4 that will work on both lawns and for snow removal?
Thanks,
Stu

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX Tires

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-19          131056

I dunno---for $25 each I'd hang on to the tires. As far as R4's, that is my main stay. Can't beat 'em. The dealer is making a profit on the new tires and is going to turn around and sell the used ones at a proifit too. Some dealers will let you trade tires for tires, depending on if they have someone in the wings waiting for your tires, and if the cost is comparable. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
WhitleyStu

2006-06-20          131058

Earthwrks,
Thanks for the thought on the bar tires only being worth $100 to the dealer. I guess I should keep them even if I invest in the R4s. Maybe I can find someone to buy the bar tires if I do not mount them for snow removal. I think a trip to the dealer is in order and take another look at the turf and R4s tomorrow.
Stu

BX Tires

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-20          131068

Unless you have NASCAR-style quick chnage wheels--or a lot time on your hands---I wouldn't consider "changing" from turf to R-4s on a regular basis. I think you should forget about the turf tires (send ME the money instead). Ypour machine doesn't weigh enough to do a lot of damage to the grass (unless the grass is wet and soggy I can drive my TC33D [over 3000lb. worth] with no problems on customers' lawns and never had a complaint) ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-20          131071

If I had no use for the present tires and was 100% sure of that and for the next few years, sell them.

However, before I would make any change I would test my tractor on my yard. I am with earthwrks on running more weight on both ag and loader tires over lawn with no damage. Now, if boggy different issue.

If you decide to change back and forth on your tires, be sure you have good jacks and stands and impact wrench and friend with strong back.

Congratulation on the new rig and hew house. Have fun and take care.

God Bless ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-20          131072

Do you have a paved drive or gravel? Do you have a snow blower or blade? ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
botamac

2006-06-20          131081

I just put in a new seeded lawn and I have bar tires on my BX23, when I cut my lawn I have no problem with the tires tearing up the lawn, just make large soft turns and you should be fine. The thought did cross my mind of buying turf tires, but at this point I’ve had no problem. Good luck and no hole shots. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
levalen

2006-06-20          131087

I have bar tires on mine and use them all year long with no tear up on my grass....mostly depends on how aggressive you drive, because I know I could tear up my turf if I wanted to. It's easy to be gentle.....no hot dogging and you'l be fine. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-20          131107

I run R4's on my JD 4310. I have had no issues with mowing or with snow removal. Since it has the MFWD, I haven't had need of chains either.

I did find if I try to drive it when the frost is coming out or on very wet soil, I will make tracks. duh. But the R4's have been good to me. Just enough extra traction without being a problem. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-20          131141

After reading again I'd tell you to try the bar tires. They are not a normal ag tire and they are a very shallow ag tire. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
WhitleyStu

2006-06-21          131147

"Do you have a paved drive or gravel? Do you have a snow blower or blade?"
Art,
I have a stone drive way and use a 5' Land Pride rear blade to clear it. I have to keep the blade up a few inches so I do not roll the stone into the yard. Well, from the replies I think I will give the bar tires a try on the new lawn when it needs mowed in a few weeks. If I see any damage I will then decide on other tire options. The bar tires sure do a good job when tilling the garden, FEL work, and for snow removal. Thanks to all that replied to my post... and as several of you stated, “No hole shots!”

BX Tires

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-21          131170

A test run in an area you can ignore or that will be easy to fix is a good solution. Try it and see if it's a problem or not. Unless you have very soft ground, I suspect you will be happy with how it works. In Iowa, I see mostly R4's or the bar tires on the CUT's used for mowing. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-21          131174

I'm a big fan of turf tires. Some folks here with far more experience than me use turf tires for all of their commercial application including snow removal. So if you find your bar tires to be a bit hard on your lawn, you can switch to turf tires for year round use without any problems. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-21          131175

If you ever work in damp clay soil you probably won't like turf tires very much. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-21          131177

"If you ever work in damp clay soil you probably won't like turf tires very much"

for my personal edification, what if you put chains on turf tires in a situation like that? ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-21          131178

In that situation nothing is great. Ag tires with chains are probably best (unless you can find rice paddy tires in the required size). Look at my pics 5 & 6 to see how badly plugged even R4's get. Turf tires would be like slicks. Chains on anything would be better than no chains. I only mentioned this in case the original poster ever needs to work in soil. In that case R4s might be the better choice depending on soil. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-22          131221

Kenm, have you tried getting the tires *very* clean, like with a pressure washer, and just soaking them with something like Armour-All??

I have a buddy who works in clay mud all the time, he swears by it, says it makes the tires so slippery the mud just falls out of the treads.

It might be worth a try, who knows?

Best of luck. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-22          131230

Murf, too many Ken's around these days but if you're asking me that's an interesting idea. I changed to Ag tires and haven't had any more problems in the clay mud. Doesn't Armorall rot rubber from the inside out? I read an article once that it draws the natural oils from the rubber to the surface and causes interior dry rot. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-06-22          131233

I'm an old farm boy. Farmer's stay out of fields when it is wet. Turf tires are better in snow and ice than R4's. They are also better on lawns, particularly if you are fussy about the lawn like me.

R4's are stiffer and better in construction atmospheres like driving over crushed rock, stump roots, etc. Many compact tractors with turfs offer too small/narrow of a front tire and can't support the weight from a loader.

Most users go with the R4 which is a compromise of all features. With my turf's, I can drive on the lawn when it is wet and stay out of the field. When working with wet clay, all you do is make a mess. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-22          131234

If the tractor stayed in the garage whenever the ground was muddy it would only get used a month or two each year :) You're right about the mess. The wife isn't too happy when I drive a muddy tractor into the garage. Not sure why she cares since it lives in the third bay away from the door and I'm the one who has to clean it up. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-22          131235

YP,
"
I'm an old farm boy. Farmer's stay out of fields when it is wet." Or they have a loonnnngggg chain and another tractor.

My wife said I will bog down aything. My thought was until you bog it down you don't know where it will not go. I am doing much better. Completed all testing needed I think.

Murf, like the Armorall idea. Will at least make them look better. It is the best concrete sealer I have ever seen.

BX Tires

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-22          131236

I guess we'll have to stick to using Ken & Kenneth to keep it straight, LOL.

I tried it by fluke once, we were asked to loan a tractor or two to the local Lions Club for a parade float. They promised to make sure it was returned clean, and did, right down to Armour-All'ing the tires, LOL.

We didn't keep it up, they did seem to shed dirt better than the other tractors on the same job for a while afterwards.

I have heard that rumour about the stuff too, but since most of them are nothing more than some silicone oil and a UV inhibitor and few other miscellaneous things, I really can't see how it could.

I have a buddy who is really into the old cars, he has a Model T that was his Dad's, he has kept those skinny little tires (because they're hard to get and $$$$) soaked in the stuff for the 15 years I've known him, they haven't deteriorated any yet that I can see.

Best of luck. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-06-23          131288

I have never had a traction problem with my turf tires ,plowing, digging ,or mowing ! ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-23          131299

Dittos on the above. Turfs are best for everything except mud.

One major drawback to R-4's.... they are very stiff and will give the worst possible ride you can get on a tractor. ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-26          131371

As someone who has never owned turf tires on a tractor those I have looked at are wider than the ag tires for the same tractor. In the real world of farming that width is an issue with some implements and crops.

The only time I ever considered turf tires the salesman talked me out of them by the suggestion I find a source of replacement first. If the field is your main arena, I would buy ag tires. If the lawn is your main arena turf makes sense. I do know my ztr has real turf tires and it marks our lawn as much as the CUT with your loader tires does and is dead on wet grass on slopes, unless cutting down hill.

In my experience the front tires on the tractor are more damaging than any tire on the rear unless the lawn is really wet.

BX Tires

View my Photos
ZINO29

2006-08-10          133157

I HAVE TURF TIRES ON MY BX1500 AND HAVE A SET OF REAR TIRE CHAINS FOR THE WINTER,ONE STORM MOVED 24"OF SNOW NO PROBLEM ....

BX Tires

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-08-11          133226

WhitleyStu
buy turf tires and switch each spring and fall between the turf and bar tires, or switch over to R4s for year round use.
=====================================
I'd just leave it alone with the A/Gs.
They work fine for me and I even mow the yard with the FEL & BH attached.
Why go to the expense and aggravation of R4s that turn to racing slicks in mud and why put up with the hassle of changing tires twice a year for no good reason? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login