Go Bottom Go Bottom

float control on BX 24 FEL

View my Photos
Kuryloski3woods
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-05          130496

I recently bought a BX 24 with FEL and BH. This fulfills a lifelong dream of owning a piece of excavation equipment, even though it is a mini machine. When using the FEL, how do I use the joystick to "float" the bucket. No matter where I position the control, it seems to exert either up or down hyd. pressure. As I understand it, in float position the bucket should follow the contour of the ground.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-05          130497

If it works the same as my JD you push it forward until it stops - then push it some more and it locks into a float position. You don't want to do this when the bucket is in the air since it drops in a hurry. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-05          130501

That's how it works on 'Botas and Deeres.

View my Photos
bvance

2006-06-05          130507

I have a BX 2230 and I haven't really found a use for the float option. If you have the bucket angle such that it angles in to the dirt it will automatically continue to dig in just due to the physics of the situation, regardless of the float option.

If you have the angle of the bucket tipped back so it does not dig in, it is usually useless to accomplishing anything as the bucket just floats up over everything and does nothing. I suppose it might work if you raise the FEL up and tip the bucket all the way forward and use it as a scraper, the float function would probably work, but I never remember to use it in that fashion.

Unless I am missing something, that is my experience.

Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-06-06          130523

I have found the float option useful for removing snow/ice on a blacktop driveway. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-06          130524

Putting the bucket in float and back-dragging can be useful to rough level out low mounds of dirt. ....

View my Photos
botamac

2006-06-06          130527

When you push the joy stick forward to lower the bucket/blade, if you push the stick a little more the valve will lock in the detent postion. And if you find after while it becomes sticky or seems grinding, you can remove the lower cap at the bottom of the valve and regrease it, I had to rebuild mine do to the fact there is NO grease in the cap, the detent part is very easy lube or replace. The parts cost $30.00 and comes in a kit. And the float postion is real nice if you have the Kubota blade on the front. ....

View my Photos
Kuryloski3woods

2006-06-06          130536

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my question. The detent is easy to find once you know what you're looking for. The otherwise thorough Kubot manual is not very clear on this point. It should explain that the control has to be pushed beyond the detent. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-06-06          130561

KW,

I agree the float is useful with loose dirt and I use it occasionally for that purpose, but those of us that live in the Great NorthWet and the land of Clay, it's rarely that we have loose, dry dirt to work with!

It's a useful option for those rare times I can really use it.

Brian ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-06          130562

Brian, I live just west of Hillsboro so I know what you mean about the clay :) After a day of digging stumps backdragging is mandatory. But that only happens when the soil is mostly dry. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-06-06          130566

KW,

I knew you did and would appreciate our delima. We live in a beautiful area, but there are prices we have to pay, aren't there? ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-06-06          130568

ncrunch32, thanks for the reassurance that the float mode is good for snow covered driveways (paved), as that is exactly what I am planning on using the FEL for in winter. Now can I get away with weighted turf tires (and 4WD) on the winter asphalt surface or are AG (bar) tires a must? The turf tires are surprisingly grippy, I think they are made from a soft compound. I mean on packed snow or ice its the compound that makes the diference (remains pliable) not so much the tread. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-06-06          130569

Bota,

What do you mean by "removing the lower cap at the bottom of the valve?" I also have an '04 2230 and I don't see what you mean. My float detent works fine, but I had probably better grease it. The bottom frame work is welded in so I don't think you mean that. I take off the rubber boot, but don't see any zerk in there.

Thanks for your help,
Brian ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-06          130571

Brian, yep here in the NW the air is always clean, the scenery is always green and there's always water in the well. As long as you've got a sunlamp what's not to like :) ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-06-07          130589

Bloggins, I would imagine that turf tires would be fine for typical blacktop driveway when using the loader. I have no experience with turf tires except on my gravely 4 wheel riding mower - which can push a fair amount of snow even without chains on my blacktop driveway. Of course how low you get the snow on your first pass will make a diference - the closer you get to the blacktop the better the traction. I assume your driveway is not several hundred feet long? If that is the case a plow may be a better option than the loader. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-07          130595

Ag tires are terrible on ice.

Turfs will run rings around them. ....

View my Photos
botamac

2006-06-07          130598

Bvance

If you look under the black plastic cover in line with your hydraulic fittings at the bottom of you valve assembly, you will find two hexagon caps about 3 inches long. If you remove the one that is close to the tractor itself you will find the detent assemble there, inside the cap you will find four ball bearings that when you push the joy stick forward it locks into the ball bearings and if you look closely on the detent to see if it is worn (from the lack of grease) there is no grease fitting on the cap. Hope this helps

Botamac ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-06-07          130623

Bota,

Thanks so much. I'll take a look at it.

Brian ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login