Go Bottom Go Bottom

mmm bending

View my Photos
PghKubota
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-25          128278

Hello all. New to forum.
I have a b2400 with a 60" mmm.
Problem is that the rear of the deck on the discharge side occationally gets caught on a hard-to-see stump or other obstruction and bends. It's done it so many time now that the deck is fractured. I keep fixing but just wonder if any of you have a more permanent solution to this problem. Seems like it could have been designed better but nothing's perfect.
Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

mmm bending

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-25          128281

dig up the stumps

:) ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-25          128300

Thanks for the chuckle, but I tend to agree with horse farmer. I know what happens when I hit gopher mounds with my mmm. So I took the box blade this spring and knocked them down.

The mmm is not intended to cut stumps, etc. A bush hog is designed to work in tough places with unseen stumps, rocks etc. Your mmm isn't. I'd fix the "root" cause (obstacles) or evaluate changing the equipment for the job. ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-25          128302

Iowa,

not to get off the topic, but since you mentioned your gophers, how did the Gophenator work out for you? ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-25          128304

As I don't have a MMM I am guessing on something here, you are bending the edge of the deck at the discharge opening is my understanding.
If that is correct, and you have clearance to, could you not drill a hole in the front of the deck near the bottom, one to align with it in the rear and run a threaded rod through the holes with a piece of pipe between the lips for support?

Could you be cutting with your deck too low? Are you cutting too fast? ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
PghKubota

2006-04-25          128335

Yep you are all right. I need to cut the stumps. It certainly would be easier in the long run but it's a job nonetheless especially when I dont have a stump grinder. I'll have to rent one I guess. I am just looking for a better fix solution to the VERY minor design flaw in the mmm also. I can't leave well enough alone and have a need for constant tinkering. I haven't looked at a new one (mmm) with a critical eye to see how I might improve the one I have.

I think I'll take a pic tonight to post tomorrow. ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-25          128336

I've done a lot of brush cuttting for developers who have all manner of junk in the ir fields: broken concrete, tires, stumps, etc. And the weeds and reeds can get 6-7 feet tall and very thick to the point I find myself standing up and looking down under the CUT to make sure I don't brushhog deck in front of the CUT. It would have to hit anything. Cutting ten acres can waer you out doing this. I haven't done it yet, but I thought about making a bumper of sorts set at the same height as the be spring loaded though so I wouldn't get hung up or worse fly over the hood when everything comes to a instant stop. ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
PghKubota

2006-04-25          128337

kthompson. Interesting idea w/the rod b/t the leading and back of the discharge chute. I've been thinking along those lines. I'll look at it and consider. The back edge is 'verticle' so if there was a rod on the lower edge front-to-back it would be less likely to hang up on it, if at all. I'm also considering cutting the verticle edge to a 45degree so it would tend to ride up and over the obstacle rather than just stop when it hits it. ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-04-26          128361

I like the idea of the threaded rod to provide a surface to have objects ride over and not catch on the back side of the discharge shute.

Horse Farmer - I've blown the hell out of some of the tunnel systems. It has cut down on the creation of new mounds. I had one shallow tunnel system that looked like the grand canyon afterwards due to the tunnels collapsing and blown to heck. So far so good. Looks to be better than poison or traps. And it's fun! ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-26          128366

Personally I do not like the sharp edge on some decks. I cut my toe one day on my Landpride while greasing. My Bulher has a rolled bottom edge and a 1/2 inch rod welded along the edge for support and protection. This was one of the things I was looking for.
You could just weld a 1/2 inch rod along the bottom edge. ....

mmm bending

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-26          128368

It takes a lot to bend a Kubota deck not to say that I haven't seen it. I'd also be looking at your hangers being sprung after what you've been mowing over and in knowing the deck in question I'd wonder how many decks you might have replaced if it was another brand! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login